Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Store Heroes

NighthawkChris

Even after all these years I still get that sense of intimidation at music stores because I always think that someone there knows more than me or plays better than me...

There's always going to be someone better at guitar and someone worse at guitar than you. It doesn't really matter unless it motivates you to be the best that you can be. Even then, someone will always be better at something. I'd love to be able to play like some of these "shredders" but I'll never get there. I wouldn't usually play like that but it would be fun to be able to. I realized a long time ago what my limitations are and I play to my strengths.

It could have been a lot worse. Instead of playing guitar and singing, the guy might have gotten out a drum machine and started rapping. :D At least the guy is playing a guitar. Maybe he was hoping there'd be band guys in there looking for a singer/guitarist. It happens.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what it is about places like GC or even larger local guitar stores that have inventory comparable to a GC store, you always run into that guy - the guitar store hero... rock on!

The latest one I saw you practically thought there was a tip jar somewhere around this guy. He was singing like no other and all that playing some expensive guitar. He was pretty good and all that - not knocking that - but he was obviously showboating and stuff like that and wanted the place's attention. I just find that majorly annoying for some reason. I mean, do you really have to sing in GC to find out if "that" guitar is good enough to buy? And the return policy is outstanding at GC - 45 days (not trying to be advocate for GC in any way with this statement). It is just annoying to be in the same space as that guy when I may be wanting to try out a guitar in the room where this A-wad has made a mini-studio out of... I mean, I get it that this is allowed and such, but come on - do you really want to be THAT guy and do this for like half-hour at least? He didn't even have the right idea to actually purchase the guitar too. Of course, he actually didn't buy a single thing that day - I watched him when he thankfully finished his forcefully imposed performance and have an autograph session afterwards. Whatever on this... Just wanted to point out guys that I think are DB's and should know they are. I don't expect anyone at the guitar store to intervene in any way, but it wold be cool if someone just busted out with a "You suck!" and get his arse out of my seat so I could take a few minutes in the "custom shop" room to evaluate something I had serious intentions of purchasing.

All I know is this guy was annoying to me... I have encountered "maestros" that are obviously very smug, but this guy takes the cake for me. I seriously thought this was a candid camera type thing going on here to see how people react - it was that noticeable in the place.

You shoulda stood beside him and started juggling.....just ask Question Mark (fellow forum member)

Johnny

Apparently this is a thing. People who don't own instruments go there to play. I used to have people wander in to play when I worked at a couple music stores. I didn't mind it most of the time but there was this one guy that would come in who would only take a bath once a month, whether he needed it or not.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-guitar-center-future-20180606-story.html?outputType=amp

Archived