Gibson Brands Forums

Time for a new j-45 standard

Dallon426

Why the change from Grover to Kluson?

Because they are heavy and pretty ugly. Not very classic looking.

If not Klusons then at least Gotoh

http://g-gotoh.com/international/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SE700-1.jpg

or these are quite nice

http://g-gotoh.com/international/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SXB510V-C-1.jpg

Also, I know a lot of people tend to swap out their RotoMatics.

Also to add a change, it would be nice to see gibson use K&K or nothing.

The Lrbaggs equipped pickup is mediocre at best. Of course this is all my opinion.

But I think it would be a nice welcome to a guitar that could use some change.

Are you trying to say...

Grovers are made outside of the USA?

Or Grovers are made inside the USA?

Nonetheless If Gibson wanted to stick with Grover

They have these fine products to choose from

https://www.grotro.com/Grover/VINTAGE

Although I think Gotoh is much better looking.

I think they are NOT made in usa, hard to find real answer,google says imported ,does any one know ?

Gibson already makes this J45. It's called the Vintage model. You gotta pay to play.

If Gibson made these changes to the Standard the only big difference between the Vintage and Standard models would be the torrified top, and that doesn't really make good marketing sense for Gibson, does it? Seems like the Vintage model is a hit and they sell those, (and for a nice profit I'm sure), and for the rest of us who don't want to shell out for, or just can't afford the Vintage model, there's the Standard.

I also disagree that "most" people swap out the Rotomatics. Many voice their dislike for the Rotomatics, but few here on this forum have actually done it, and more talk about wanting to, but outside of this tiny forum and in the rest of guitar land, I'd say more people have left the stock Rotomatics on the guitar. I'm not saying it's not done, but it's probably not done as much as you think.

Gibson adding a K&K wouldn't make sense either. Why would they superglue a pickup to the bridge plate at the factory? This could lead to decreased sales since not everyone is a fan of, or has an application that the K&K would be practical for and would be very expensive and labor intensive to remove. At least with the LR Baggs UST it's ridiculously easy to remove, and can also easy be put back in to return the guitar to stock.

As far as the string spacing goes, I haven't heard that many complain about the current string spacing, but that's a personal preference. I've owned J45 Standards, J45 True Vintages and a J45 Vintage. I could swear the string spacing at the bridge was the same on all of them, but don't quote me on that, but they all felt just fine to me for fingerpicking and cross picking.

The thing about threads like this is the person starting the thread is just thinking about what THEY would like, without taking into consideration the perspective of the company. I get it. Sure, these changes would be nice for the Standard model, but if this configuration already exists in a more expensive package and it's selling (Vintage model) and they're also selling a differently appointed version for less that is still a great guitar (Standard) why would they change the less expensive version into something that's basically what the more expensive version is, then sell it for less?!

There is also the "Gibson Custom Shop Made 2 Measure" program that could make you whatever you wanted.

For all the problems Gibson has had to endure this last while I think this is the least of them.I bought a Std. and I have no gripes about the sound and playability. Sure-some would change out the Rotos but that's small potatoes in the big scheme.And the Baggs through a Fishman mini ain't too shabby either.

Regarding the TV and Vintage Models. They cost much more because of the Adirondack top and the torrified top on the vintage model.

So... Price is much more.

But I'd like to see a vintage in a standard j-45. I don't need Adi and I'd be just as happy without the element system. I'd rather not pay for a pick-up at all. And then decide if I want to put one in or not.

As it stands the standard is a good instrument. But these improvements would be a warm welcome.

Plastic bridge pins??? Really....

Regarding the TV and Vintage Models. They cost much more because of the Adirondack top and the torrified top on the vintage model.

So... Price is much more.

But I'd like to see a vintage in a standard j-45. I don't need Adi and I'd be just as happy without the element system. I'd rather not pay for a pick-up at all. And then decide if I want to put one in or not.

As it stands the standard is a good instrument. But these improvements would be a warm welcome.

Plastic bridge pins??? Really....

So you don't want an Adirondack top, but you want everything else the Vintage model has, but only want to pay for it what a Standard model costs. We all would, but keep dreaming! Again, it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint for Gibson to do that with what they have going for them with the Vintage and Standard J45 models (but then again, making changes that make no sense from a marketing standpoint has never stopped Gibson in the past...am I right?!)

Plenty of expensive guitars use and have used plastic bridge pins. Martin was using plastic in the 50's, and I think Gibson was as well. My D-35 has plastic bridge pins, and my 1975 D-28 still has the original plastic pins.

Just spend a couple hundred bucks and turn a Standard into the guitar you're describing. You can easily, and for relatively little money do everything you've mentioned (except for the string spacing). I did just that with my J45 Standard. 3-on-a-plate tuners, bone nut and saddle, bone pins, V/TV pickguard and ditched the Baggs UST for a K&K.

Heck, you've mentioned that you live to modify your guitars, evidenced by putting in a bit of work to dull their finishes, so souping up your J45 to exactly what you want should be super easy to do. Yes you've already made the guitar yours with the finish. So why not go the extra mile and finish the job? Honestly, it's not that much work, and you're still in it for a ton less than a Vintage model. Sell the Baggs pickup and Rotomatics and you can cover a large chunk of the cost of the K&K.

All I know is after making the changes I made to my 2017 J45 Standard that I bought new in 2016 for a bit under $2k I still would take it over any of the other J45's I've owned, including TV and V models.

Just bought a used 2016 J-45 and along with it a set of Klusons. Conversion bushings ordered as well as a nice dark pickguard from Holtier.

Looking for a plain black truss rod cover. Eventually the bone nut, saddle and pins too.

Thanks sbpark for the useful guidelines.

I played one of the new J45 Studio's yesterday and was very impressed. I guess this is their new affordable J45. Except for the Rotomatics and trc, I would leave it alone. I've always thought sound-wise, the walnut was somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. The thinner body brought it down a little bit which in my opinion is good.

RS4SWBN19_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

I think the Element VTC pickup is underrated. The are easy to dial in and get a great live sound with.

I just swapped out the Rotomatics on a late model J45. It's easy. Just need the those 3/8 conversion bushings. However, I do think that the factory using white or creme button tuners would be a welcome change... like they had on the Historic from a decade ago.

As far as pins.. Martin pins are plastic, and even the diehards love the Antique Acoustic pins. I also like the black nut. I wont be changing it on the J45-Mahogany.

So you don't want an Adirondack top, but you want everything else the Vintage model has, but only want to pay for it what a Standard model costs. We all would, but keep dreaming! Again, it makes no sense from a marketing standpoint for Gibson to do that with what they have going for them with the Vintage and Standard J45 models (but then again, making changes that make no sense from a marketing standpoint has never stopped Gibson in the past...am I right?!)

Plenty of expensive guitars use and have used plastic bridge pins. Martin was using plastic in the 50's, and I think Gibson was as well. My D-35 has plastic bridge pins, and my 1975 D-28 still has the original plastic pins.

Just spend a couple hundred bucks and turn a Standard into the guitar you're describing. You can easily, and for relatively little money do everything you've mentioned (except for the string spacing). I did just that with my J45 Standard. 3-on-a-plate tuners, bone nut and saddle, bone pins, V/TV pickguard and ditched the Baggs UST for a K&K.

Heck, you've mentioned that you live to modify your guitars, evidenced by putting in a bit of work to dull their finishes, so souping up your J45 to exactly what you want should be super easy to do. Yes you've already made the guitar yours with the finish. So why not go the extra mile and finish the job? Honestly, it's not that much work, and you're still in it for a ton less than a Vintage model. Sell the Baggs pickup and Rotomatics and you can cover a large chunk of the cost of the K&K.

All I know is after making the changes I made to my 2017 J45 Standard that I bought new in 2016 for a bit under $2k I still would take it over any of the other J45's I've owned, including TV and V models.

I already did all that. K&K installed. Klusons installed. Upgraded the bridge pins to Ebony. Black Tusq Nut and saddle. I am good.

I already did all that. K&K installed. Klusons installed. Upgraded the bridge pins to Ebony. Black Tusq Nut and saddle. I am good. Regarding owning a Vintage mode. Well I would trade this one in a second for a vintage model. The few I played knocked the socks off a standard J-45.

I bought this one I have used for 1200 EU. Came without the pickup. But I did all the other upgrades

Archived