Gibson Brands Forums

1992 Promotional Les Paul model?

Guitar God

So, I was just now looking at eBay and found this gorgeous 1992 Gibson Les Paul Standard. But, the back has "Promotional not for resale" stamped on the back of the headstock. Just curious if anyone has any info on the whole promotional thing on this guitar? Found this cool and interesting. Thought I'd share.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Les-Paul-Standard-Cherryburst-Excellent/303022649974?hash=item468d8eb276:g:mRQAAOSwIbtcNBIe:rk:34:pf:0

I remember seeing some Joe Bonamassa video where he was talking about the development of his model where (as I remember, anyway) he would be given guitars with similar markings, but would also have some form of developmental serial number too (e.g., "JB-1", etc.). This eBay guitar looks awesome ... but there is no serial number whatsoever? Maybe it did have one, but the serial number was tied somehow to the original artist's name and he did not want to be connected to it. So, he removed the "developmental SN" before giving it to someone as a gift or whatever?

Man if I were you and before I purchased it, I would call Carters Vintage Guitars in Nashville or a similar place like Gruhns before I made the purchase. It sure looks great and legit BUT you need to make sure. Man 1992 was 27 years ago. The people who were at the Gibson factory during that time are retired by now for sure.

It started life as a free guitar to somebody. Radio give away, NAMM or other Guitar Show give away, raffle donation, that sort of thing. It's there to tell the buyer that every dollar they give for it is pure profit for somebody.

rct

I, too, think that guitar looks utterly gorgeous......msp_love.gif......one of the very nicest combination of 'bursts / colours / tops I've seen for absolutely ages.

If we're being really picky I'd prefer narrow cutaway-binding and an ABR-1 but, hey, I still wouldn't exactly kick it out of bed.

Probably just as well it doesn't ship to the UK...

Pip.

• 3 years later...