Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Les Paul Custom 2008

bigtim

Oh My Goodness!

msp_love.gifmsp_love.gifmsp_love.gif

Absolutely stunning guitar! I've never seen one in that exact combination of finish / hardware before but they should definitely do that more often! Truly gorgeous! Many congrats.

I know it's a very small detail in the whole scheme of things but I love how they refrained from fitting gold Grovers and put on green-key Klusons. So much more classy and vintage-looking IMO.

As far as this bit is concerned;

The ABR bridge is mounted directly into the wood on the custom and the traditional has the studs and inserts for the TOM bridge....I do not know why Gibson would change that up as the studs into the metal inserts would seem more stable...

It's just an historical detail.

The 'screw-into-body' ABR-1 is the original style of Tune-o-Matic bridge and was used on the Custom from it's introduction in very late '53 to the late '70s when it was eventually redesigned and became the broader-in-the-beam 'Nashville' Tune-o-Matic version with the studs inserted into the body which is still in use - and in almost unchanged form - to this day. The later Nashville style genuinely was and is, in quite a few ways, an improvement over the ABR-1 but the latter is always used when Gibson are aiming for a 'Vintage' look or for the Historics.

msp_thumbup.gif

Play Long and Prosper!

P.

Hey thank you for the compliments and also the bit of history with the bridge choices gibson will do at times. I am happy with it very much so. I do not know if this one is considered VOS or not as he did not include the original receipt when I bought it. And there is no product serial number other than the one on the head stock. But who cares if it is a reissue or not as I believe it is absolutely stunning!!

Oh My Goodness!

msp_love.gifmsp_love.gifmsp_love.gif

Absolutely stunning guitar! I've never seen one in that exact combination of finish / hardware before but they should definitely do that more often! Truly gorgeous! Many congrats.

I know it's a very small detail in the whole scheme of things but I love how they refrained from fitting gold Grovers and put on green-key Klusons. So much more classy and vintage-looking IMO.

As far as this bit is concerned;

It's just an historical detail.

The 'screw-into-body' ABR-1 is the original style of Tune-o-Matic bridge and was used on the Custom from it's introduction in very late '53 to the late '70s when it was eventually redesigned and became the broader-in-the-beam 'Nashville' Tune-o-Matic version with the studs inserted into the body which is still in use - and in almost unchanged form - to this day. The later Nashville style genuinely was and is, in quite a few ways, an improvement over the ABR-1 but the latter is always used when Gibson are aiming for a 'Vintage' look or for the Historics.

msp_thumbup.gif

Play Long and Prosper!

P.

The post office will weigh your guitars if you ask them nicely.

I thought you weighed a guitar by weighing yourself on a scale with and without the guitar -- the difference is the weight of the guitar. But I never thought of the Post Office option -- they have those "send a package" kiosks at the Post Office (at least we do). You could do it yourself at the kisok without having to ask any body anything.

My post office must still be in the stone age.

I did not know that you could do something like that at a post office.

I thought you weighed a guitar by weighing yourself on a scale with and without the guitar -- the difference is the weight of the guitar. But I never thought of the Post Office option -- they have those "send a package" kiosks at the Post Office (at least we do). You could do it yourself at the kisok without having to ask any body anything.

Others would say differ but I appreciate your thoughts!! Thanks and very kind of you.

Honestly bigtim’s guitar is the nicest LP I have ever seen in this forum. It’s absolutely mesmerizing! Just my opinion though... you have my permission to NGD this every week haha!

Archived