Gibson Brands Forums

New picture attachment question.

bobouz

So having never posted a picture before, I thought I'd try the new photo posting feature.  The picture I posted was in the  recent thread started by QM re the overall new format for this site.

In the thread, it was mentioned how little maximum-storage there is in the new attachment section (accessible via your profile).  By going to my profile page, the picture I posted was listed under my attachments, and I thought maybe if I deleted my original posting of the picture, I would also delete the photo from my stored attachments, thereby opening up more available storage for the future.

Well, that apparently is not how it works.  I deleted the original post with the photo I had attached, but the photo remained in my stored attachments.  By right clicking, there does not appear to be any option for deleting a photo stored in your profile's attachments.

I'm hoping maybe someone has discovered how to totally delete a photo.  If this is not possible, it would only take a short while to use up the attachment section's storage capability, and you would then be unable to benefit any further from the new photo-posting feature.

Not being any kind of a computer wizard, I could very easily have missed something!

Edited by bobouz

It might take some time to update, in the same way a change of your avatar photo takes a day or so. After just adding a photo to Jinder's AJ thread, I checked the profile info under attachments-  it told me "You have used 0 B of your 500 kB attachment limit", so using an image hosting site (imgur) seems to be the way to go.

There also seems to be a much shorter window to edit posts now, after that, the only option that is given is to the delete the entire post, as opposed to removing a photo (for example) from that post.

I don't see a way to delete attachments either. Maybe they go away when you delete a post, but I doubt it. So, basically this feature is still useless.

Regarding post editing, I'm sure that was done for security reasons. A favorite trick of spammers is to make an "innocent" post, then come back later and add spammy links when nobody will notice. They do this on the assumption that links to their website will improve their Google search ranking. I'm all for controlling spam on this site, so I don't have a problem with limiting the time you can edit a post. And maybe it will make people think twice about what they post when they realize they can't change it later. 😉

Edited by Boyd

For images, use an image hosting site instead of uploading your photos to your profile storage as 62burst mentioned. I do this for all my forums. I used to use Photobucket until they went crazy and I've since switched to Imgur. I really like Imgur. You can drag 'n drop images, edit them for size and when you click on any image in your library, it brings up a screen with "click to copy" links for all kinds of purposes like direct link, markdown link (reddit), HTML (blogs etc), BBCode (this forum), BBCode + link (thumbnail with link). So you can just click the image, click "copy" next to the link you want and hit CTRL-V to paste it into your message like this:

Mh4xj5T.jpg?1

Edited by drathbun
...added link to Imgur

8 hours ago, Boyd said:

I don't see a way to delete attachments either. Maybe they go away when you delete a post, but I doubt it.

Indeed, I tried deleting the post to see if it would remove the attachment from storage, and it does not.

Regardless, thanks everyone for your input.  At least I now know it's not just me!

• 4 weeks later...

Any news concerning this topic?

As I have no good feeling and experience in uploading photos to external storage sites and cannot delete my attachments here I have no chance to show new pictures .....

Thank you for any hint.

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Hall said:

I have no space.

Same here. It got filled up with guitars. But I'm working on that.

So, Mr. Hall- that photo of your maple Hummingbird... that filled your space? Upload it, and any others to imgur- it's fairly easy to work with, then once you click on your uploaded photo, you can use the BBCode button that appears in the sharing options on the right side of the page to embed it here. Keep the dimensions around 600 pixels X whatever  to avoid blowing out the page here, and on people's handheld devices.

One thing I ran into when reading about imgur- it might not end up holding your photos for ransom, as photobucket ended up doing, but there is some small print somewhere that says that they may someday delete older, or unused albums to make room on their site. So we've been warned.

Edited by 62burst

Probably just beating a dead horse - but had a thought...  just pasting photos, you're allowed 2 - 3 max before space is used up.  Not sure if you can delete ones, and post others - but seems to be a hassle.

A better way to post a picture (IMO) is to use IMGUR or some other site.  You have to create an account, but you upload your picture to there - size it etc..., and then you copy a link to post into your thread.  You can post as many as you want, no limits.  I'm no techie, so don't know why things have to be this way - but just seem to be.  IMGUR can be a little picky, but it works.

Can't do anything picture post wise because my allotted "space" is full and there is no way to delete in order to regain space.  Never was much for picture posting, but every so often  it would be practical and nice.  The old forum you just deleted when  it got full; not so here.       ???

Edited by Hall
sp. -5

Imgur is so simple and it even has some editing tools so you can upload your photo, crop it, resize it etc. then all you have to do is click on it and you get this menu of choices on the right of your image where you just click "Copy" and get the BBcode URL that you just CTRL-V into your message. You can even select "Thumbnail" and you'll get a small image for people to click to get the larger photo. Fast and simple and free. I just wish the mobile app had the same features as what you see below on the website version.

rAzwPeG.png

Edited by drathbun

Thank you drathbun, but I'm not making myself very clear.  The only photo taking device I have is the camera on my computer, and the only photo knowledge I enjoy is to post pics via the space the forum allots us.  Mine is filled so I am sol.  Are you telling me I can bypass that function and place entirely by doing as you suggest?        If that is the case, I'll have to do some learning then and report back later. .  Sorry, to be an analog relic .   I do appreciate your effort here.

1 hour ago, Hall said:

Thank you drathbun, but I'm not making myself very clear.  The only photo taking device I have is the camera on my computer, and the only photo knowledge I enjoy is to post pics via the space the forum allots us.  Mine is filled so I am sol.  Are you telling me I can bypass that function and place entirely by doing as you suggest?        If that is the case, I'll have to do some learning then and report back later. .  Sorry, to be an analog relic .   I do appreciate your effort here.

Yes. That is precisely what I am saying. Instead of uploading the image to your very limited forum account, upload to Imgur instead and then just paste the copied link into your message here. Works like a charm.