Gibson Brands Forums

Dove - Firebird Differences?

BoSoxBiker

So, I saw this gem while looking for standard issue Doves to hopefully re-appear. It's a Firebird. Gibson Firebird at Wildwood   Is this along the same line as a Dove was/will be, or are they really two different beasts? They do have one of those 125th anniversary models, but at $7500, yikes! The Dove   That 1.575" nut has to be a typo, right?

I have no definitive answer, but I have always thought of Dove and Firebird as the same. The Dove is not my cup of tea as far as looks, but I find the Firebird, with its standard shaped bridge and “fiery “ appointments to be super cool! 

Lars

5 hours ago, PatriotsBiker said:

So, I saw this gem while looking for standard issue Doves to hopefully re-appear. It's a Firebird. Gibson Firebird at Wildwood   Is this along the same line as a Dove was/will be, or are they really two different beasts? They do have one of those 125th anniversary models, but at $7500, yikes! The Dove   That 1.575" nut has to be a typo, right?

The dove has flamed maple back and sides, rosewood board+ bridge.3 piece maple neck. Long Scale

the firebird has quilted maple back and sides , richlite board + bridge(it used to be Ebony).2 piece maple neck.Long Scale

Not sure about the nut width

JC

Lars, I I've not always been a fan of the Dove, but I think I have changed my mind in the past year. I had never heard of the acoustic variety of the Firebird before the other day, though. 

JuanCarlosvejar: I saw the maple differences the other day, but wrongly (I think) wrote it off as being only a visual aspect. I did some research after reading your comment to discover that the striped variety is supposed to be harder, at a minimum. The descriptions on tonal differences were a little less clear, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

As much as the Dove and the Acoustic Firebird follow similar overall patterns, they are highly different.

The first significantly offering one of the genuine classic 'modern' Gibson sounds, , , where the F-bird flies somewhere else, maybe pointing into a more neutral, yet maplish sonic territory. It has been said here that it had some D-35 in its nature.  For my 5 Yen that's not especially precise, but I see the point as some sort of abstract illustration.            It's a great guitar, however definitely a Gibson.  And it's a mightier square than the generous Dove - at times actually too big. 

2 wonderful instruments for sure ^^ and both syrup drippers from above, , fat, sticky,  co-starring like few others around.

• Like 1

Flamed vs Quilted: Below is a flamed maple (I know it's electric, but thought it was a good representation)  In the Gibson Lounge, someone posted a 'build your guitar' link.  You can do flamed and quilted maple and see the difference.  I can only post one pic here due to size limits (it's flamed) but use the links to build your own with quilted and you'll see the difference.  Pretty cool IMO.

image.png.b7c99afc1124c389577a97dcef5fc83c.png

Edited by billroy

22 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

As much as the Dove and the Acoustic Firebird follow similar overall patterns, they are highly different.

The first significantly offering one of the genuine classic 'modern' Gibson sounds, , , where the F-bird flies somewhere else, maybe pointing into a more neutral, yet maplish sonic territory. It has been said here that it had some D-35 in its nature.  For my 5 Yen that's not especially precise, but I see the point as some sort of abstract illustration.            It's a great guitar, however definitely a Gibson.  And it's a mightier square than the generous Dove - at times actually too big. 

2 wonderful instruments for sure ^^ and both syrup drippers from above, , fat, sticky,  co-starring like few others around.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insights. You mentioned the primary non-Gibson competition for the next one.

28 minutes ago, billroy said:

Flamed vs Quilted: Below is a flamed maple (I know it's electric, but thought it was a good representation)  In the Gibson Lounge, someone posted a 'build your guitar' link.  You can do flamed and quilted maple and see the difference.  I can only post one pic here due to size limits (it's flamed) but use the links to build your own with quilted and you'll see the difference.  Pretty cool IMO.

image.png.b7c99afc1124c389577a97dcef5fc83c.png

I've been fond of the flamed maple. Got a flamed cap Gibson LP, the SJ-200 and a Taylor 614. My PRS SE is a Quilt. If I go electric this year, it will be a flamed ES-335 in Blueberry Burst.   🙂 

Billroy, I've got no first hand experience. i did do a search a couple weeks ago and found some chit chat about different sounding low-mids. Maybe one having a fuller low end while the other was more punchy. I don't really recall which was which now that I think about it.  How's that for memory? Hah!

31 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Billroy, I've got no first hand experience. i did do a search a couple weeks ago and found some chit chat about different sounding low-mids. Maybe one having a fuller low end while the other was more punchy. I don't really recall which was which now that I think about it.  How's that for memory? Hah!

Lol, you remembered you forgot something, that’s still something 

• 1 year later...

The Firebird acoustic is lighter and more resonant than the Dove. While the Dove has a meatier growl and thicker chord sound, the Firebird has better note separation and a quicker response. I would guess by playing them, the firebird has a thinner top or thinner braces (or both). The difference in the flamed maple vs quilted changes the sound as the quilt maple is derived from denser maple trees or sections. There is a great difference in the two instruments. They also feel very different. The Dove feels more substantial and a little clunky, and the bird more light and precise. Both are very sweet guitars but wood choices are there only similarities from a musicians perspective. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ltcmshawn said:

The Firebird acoustic is lighter and more resonant than the Dove. While the Dove has a meatier growl and thicker chord sound, the Firebird has better note separation and a quicker response. I would guess by playing them, the firebird has a thinner top or thinner braces (or both). The difference in the flamed maple vs quilted changes the sound as the quilt maple is derived from denser maple trees or sections. There is a great difference in the two instruments. They also feel very different. The Dove feels more substantial and a little clunky, and the bird more light and precise. Both are very sweet guitars but wood choices are there only similarities from a musicians perspective. 

Good observations and I agree. Here's a couple my comments from a thread that rolled out last fall. 

The Firebird is a monster, , , if you can say that about royalty. It's loud'n'big and full of bass'n'bliss. And as chakAK mentions offers a fine if not immaculate balance. A very soft guitar also - should we say elegantly mellow. As such it doesn't rock much - its nature is simply too classy to hit the primitive cool needed. For that same reason I have lowered my action to what many would consider too much. But I stand by it - it's a bit like having the king on a weekend visit and on the second day leading him through paths in the park where not only shoes, but also the lower pants sleeves get muddy. The dirt becomes a 'cleaner' - it's how things become real, right. . 

The F-bird isn't the most played acoustic here, but it stands as the majesty and thus plays an important role on the herd-scale. It sets perspective and I would miss it if it went.                              Yet this giant wouldn't be on the boat to the desert island. That choice is still a topic for back and forth speculations in this temple.

Hmmm, perhaps the second biggie :  the re-necked 66 CW. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

And a detail :      The Xs are placed in the same position, but touch-checking the top-braces tells my fingertips the F is a wing-feather thicker than the D. 

The rest - 

Edited by E-minor7

18 hours ago, Ltcmshawn said:

Great 'compare and contrast' comment.  Thanks!