Gibson Brands Forums

Design your own signature model!

iankinzel

Let's say hypothetically that you had the chance to design your own signature guitar. What would you come up with?

If you want to create a visual, here are a couple sites you can try (feel free to suggest others). If you just want to type out a description, that's cool too.

http://www.frankmontag.com/sc_guitar.htm <- LP-style
http://www.frankmontag.com/sg_guitar.htm <- SG-style
http://tctwp.com/kisekae/ <- Various (scroll down)

I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with!

Here are two concepts signature Les Paul Custom models I've thought up:

#1 - Mahogany Burst

1460512326_signatureLPC01.jpg.56ecee329223f8bac808da752a42a8e1.jpg

All-mahogany body, mahogany neck with ebony fretboard
Gold hardware, including Grover tuners
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set (neck & bridge); Phat Cat neck (middle position).
Controls: neck volume, middle volume, bridge volume, master tone; you can switch between the neck & the bridge like a regular two-humbucker LP, and blend in the Phat Cat P90 as much or as little as you want.

Gloss finish in transparent...sunburst? Tobacco burst? Tea burst? I dunno. Since the finish shows off the mahogany underneath, I call it the "Mahoganyburst."

#2 - "Custom Deluxe"

997526991_signatureLPC02.jpg.173a0e58e6676d0aecba95949ae508b6.jpg

Mahogany body, maple cap, mahogany neck with ebony fretboard
Nickel hardware, Grover tuners, Bigsby trem + roller bridge (though the website doesn't have a roller bridge option)
Pickups: Gibson "Deluxe" style minihumbuckers (neck & bridge); Gibson vintage-style Firebird neck pickup (middle position).
Controls: same as above - n/m/b volume, master tone; switch between n/b, blend in the middle.

Matte finish in flat black.

• Like 1

OK, This is pretty near what I would choose to have made to my specs;

Les-Paul-Montag-Lo-res.jpg

Or possibly something totally wacky like this;

53-P-90-Lo-res.jpg

Or even a new version of the acoustic Les Paul;

Acoustic-LP.jpg

Yeah, I know. I'm so hard to please......[smile]......

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, pippy said:

Oh, I do like the look of that one, m-e! No knobs, though? Controlled on the amp solely?

Pip.

Yes, I control volume using an expression pedal and have my tone set the way I like it (so I don't fiddle with knobs). 

Also I like the minimalist look, such as your 'acoustic' sig model at the end there. It reminds me of something else. I recall seeing the previous model of Line 6 variax and thought it looked very cool. No pickups! Well it did of course have the vital under-saddle digital pickup but that is entirely covert! 

what I would like to have made isn't available option for this. I'd like a non-reversed Firebird (yea, the butt ugly one) in Seafoam green with standard 57 Classic & Classic plus humbuckers. a neck inbetween a 50's & 60's ... cream pickguard, aged/cream binding (with nibs), medium jumbo frets. block inlay on an ebony fretboard. and slightly thicker body than the standard non reverse.  Steinberger tuners. the Doug Bounds signature Firebird ... copyright infringe that ...

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes, I control volume using an expression pedal and have my tone set the way I like it (so I don't fiddle with knobs). 

Also I like the minimalist look, such as your 'acoustic' sig model at the end there. It reminds me of something else...

I can see how a vol pedal arrangement could work well and the tone can be changed by different pick-attack. Nice solution!

As far as the acoustic LP is concerned I always liked these things - although the 'board inlay is a bit 'full-on' on this example.  I believe they were available sometime like 2001 / 2002?...

Custom-Shop-Les-Paul-acoustic.jpg

Pip.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NHTom said:

The NHTom Signature model...

nYlROc1.png

Light aged lemon burst, Hum/P90 combo, ebony board, fairly traditional specs on the rest.

NHTOM

That is sharp looking!

I would swap out the placement of the pickups however.   I'd rather have the P90 in the bridge and the hb in the neck.

• 1 year later...

I've always loved the es 335 and 339. But if I could design any guitar, it would be an es 335 made into a solid body, but chambered out, I love my heavy guitars. With an ocean burst or blueberry burst and solid black back and sides, 490t and 490r pickups w/o the pickup covers. Black hardware. Stopbar tailpiece, Nashville style bridge, locking grover tuners, black speed knobs with the thumb bleeders, a bottom mounted output Jack, like a les paul, the vintage bumble bee capacitors. Rosewood fret board with blue trapezoid inlays. The three way toggle switch in the same spot as a les paul on the top horn.