Gibson Brands Forums

Swiss cheese

Luap

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The holes are drilled around the toggle switch area so they don't affect the tone.

Gibson has talked about the number of holes, and there isn't room for 9 or 17 holes around the toggle area. You took the "not under the bridge" idea from the book and leapt to the wrong conclusion, then argued about it. Not too smart - what's the word I'm looking for...

Give him a break! Different opinions is what makes a forum interesting. And I really don´t think it´s good calling who ever an idiot.

Greetings

Kurt

Good point' date=' Kurt, and, normally, I'd agree that calling someone an idiot isn't Big; nor is it Smart; nor is it Clever.

In this case, however, he would be arguing against Gibson themselves because the 'chambering' issue isn't about [i']opinion[/i] - it's a fact.

The fact that this has already run as long as it has seems to suggest that, no matter how much we may dislike the term, the guy is, in actual fact, an idiot.

Greetings and best wishes,

Pippy.

No' date=' not Chambered. Just swissed cheesed. I had saved photos of both but deleted the photo of the swissed cheesed one, just couldn't look at no more.

I have a Studio. My first brand new Gibson, ever. Sounds O.K. and Yea a bit of a disappointment, not just in sound but also Quality. Too bad really though, now it a beater.

It's a BFG GOTW for 2007. One would of thought that maybe they would of payed a little more than usual attention to those. Being limited to 400 or less, but they didn't.[/quote']

I would think that you'd like the Swiss cheesed LP since you're from Wisconsin and all... j/k! :D

All guitars are different even among the same model; maybe you got one that just doesn't do it for you. I've bought guitars that I grew to not like so much later on; it happens.

Or, it could be psychological. Maybe you found out later that you have a weight relieved guitar, read some BS on a guitar forum about them not being as good as totally solid guitars that was posted by a bunch of deluded cork sniffers and got it into your head that your guitar is somehow inferior, even though the people saying so probably have never compared the two types under any kind of conditions that could possibly result in any sort of qualified opinion which is probably a moot point anyway because they played them through PODs in their bedrooms using headphones so as not to wake their parents or a Blues Junior which they believe is the greatest amp ever.

</massive_run_on_sentence>

I would think that you'd like the Swiss cheesed LP since you're from Wisconsin and all... j/k! ;)

All guitars are different even among the same model; maybe you got one that just doesn't do it for you. I've bought guitars that I grew to not like so much later on; it happens.

Or' date=' it could be psychological. Maybe you found out later that you have a weight relieved guitar, read some BS on a guitar forum about them not being as good as totally solid guitars that was posted by a bunch of deluded cork sniffers and got it into your head that your guitar is somehow inferior, even though the people saying so probably have never compared the two types under any kind of conditions that could possibly result in any sort of qualified opinion which is probably a moot point anyway because they played them through PODs in their bedrooms using headphones so as not to wake their parents or a Blues Junior which they believe is the greatest amp ever.

</massive_run_on_sentence>

[/quote']

Perfect. Just perfect. :D

Ya know RichCI in part you are kinda right. First here in wisconsin we do love swiss cheese and we are also known for having holes in are heads. Like I had said, a lot of problems with this, my first brand new Gibson.

Finish/nut and sound resonance problems mainly, and I do have and have been around guitars more than 30yrs, so I do perfer an older soild pancake norlin era Custom's sound characteristcs and heck even a soild SG or even a copy or a BC Rich/Jackson/charvel/Cortez/Aria/Antares, anything that does not have blank spaces cut into the main chunck of wood that I rely on for string transfer vibration. And heavy is not always the case, I have a few that are soild and vary light, that sound as good as the heavy ones, but in a different way. Maybe the problem was that it was a mail order and that one, I did not play first.

I hear ya. I've bought only one guitar without playing it first and, while it's a good guitar, I doubt I would have bought it if I had played it first. I don't regret it as it's a bit of an oddball that does serve it's purpose, but still...

Since you've been playing for that long, you probably know exactly what you like in a guitar no matter what kind it is and that's the problem with buying mail order. I don't typically advocate upgrading parts just for the sake of trying to make a guitar you don't care for something you will (hopefully) like after modifications, but there are some aftermarket parts that are quite good. With my Strat, I replaced the stock trem block by one made by Callaham that made a noticeable and positive change in the guitar - not dramatic, but still a good, relevant change. You might look into TonePros for some replacement bridge hardware; I've never tried their stuff but some guys swear by them and even Gibson is selling guitars as "TonePros" equipped. Then again, perhaps you might consider buying another guitar rather than trying to upgrade one without know what the results would be with upgrades.

With with you again, but you can't polish a turd or a tone turd. An axe must still have playability.

I mean the guitars intonation must be capable to have everything up and down the neck ring out

pretty close to true. I hard feat for half of all the new Gibson's, then modifications are worth doing to fine tune.

I'm a purist at heart, but when so many people were complaining about weight, it was obvious that that weight relief was the order of the day. The problem is so many people want to have it both ways, and that of course isn't always possible.

Why not. Why wouldn't Gibson offer a soild body in all of their line-ups, along with the swissed cheesed and chambered models.

Many, many makers have seen this flaw and have made them.

Hence many copies out right now with soild 1, 2 and 3 piece bodies

Archived