Gibson Brands Forums

Broadway (ugh...)

SRV-Zeppelin

I recently volunteered to play lead guitar / piano for a local production of the musical "All Shook Up." For those of you who don't know, it chronicles love in a small town in 55 using Elvis songs... when I signed up I thought, "Elvis- this is gonna be easy! No work and a lot of fun. Great!" It was only once I got to rehearsal that I realized it was Broadway Elvis... which, of course, is an entirely different genre. I'm an experienced musician so it isn't challenging to learn the songs, I just get pissed off when they modulate 5 times in 6 measures and have 18 key changes in one freakin' song. I just didn't anticipate having to put in this much work... In addition to rehearsing twice a week we have to have all the songs learned by April, which translates to about 7 per week. It'll be a lot of fun once it all gets put together, but I needed to get the grumbling out of my system.

Sounds like a lot of work but you'll be a better player at the end of the day.

A guy I work with used to do a lot of studio work and now plays in the pit for what seems to be three different musical production each year and he loves it. This is in addition to his HOBBY of building acoustic guitars of which he turns out five or six per year. Busy guy who really loves guitar!

The hardest gigs are the most rewarding.

All throughout high school I played either guitar or upright bass (when needed) for all the musicals. It really helped me become a better player, especially in a rigid performing sense. When you play the blues in bars all the time you get too used to jamming and wingin' it. Gigs like these help solidify you as a player.

Just wait until the after party, you'll realize how much fun you had.

Good luck.

I went to Macbeth this weekend at a local production. They did a pretty good job. I like plays.

Hopefully your undertaking ends up being fun, sounds like a lot of work but hey, it may pay off. :) It sounds like you'll learn some new skills and become more well-rounded.

Well, you're in, so enjoy it.

I've never done anything like that, but have been a bar gigger all over the Country for over 3 decades.

One of the things I miss, is being a "hired gun". Last minute stuff, people you've never met, ect. That was always a rush when the lights come on. I'm with a Band that has been very fortunate the last few years.

I bet it ends up being great.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived