Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Appleseed "66 J45

Holiday Hoser

Beautiful guitar. I'm normally suspicious of pristine guitars of that vintage, but that one sounds VERY similar to my very beaten up '67 which is one of my very favourite instruments, and among the very best sounding J45s I've played. I hope this one found a home where it might actually get played!

The one J-45 to have, when you're having more than one. A cherry burst that strong, and one with an adjustable saddle at that, can be an acquired taste, but Michael Lemmo's playing fattens the mids nicely with those thick chords (the required chatter can be skipped by going right to 4:20).  

Thanks for passing that along, Holiday.

Johnny Cherry Picker might be a better name given the finish.  For me though, the combination of the skimpy 1960s neck carve and mid-1960s  narrow nut width make it a no starter.   After watching  the vid though it really hit home that I need to stop farting around and teach myself to  hybrid pick. 

Heps, this is mint - put on some silk'n'steel and you have Donovan's start-guitar right there (it's mellow and yellow as well).

I think we can hear it hasn't been used too much. Still kind of tight. And I would like to lower that saddle into some top-contact, then adjust the tr to check the difference.

Like it - but have heard 45s from that period which were considerably better. 1960 to 64 are my favorite J-45 years (the width), but this one is from the same wave.  

PLAY away - the old shiny slope needs it

I always figured if I had the hankering to play a 1960s J45 I could just remove a bunch of strings on my '61 B45-12.    Funny but with the next string change I was planning to initially ad only the octave G and see what developed - kind of a  Gibson version of the Martin  McGuinn 7 string.