Gibson Brands Forums

A legend dies.

Navy Vet.

21 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yes, R.I.P.  He was 76, not that old.

Enormous contribution -  his Wiki discography (below) is incredible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Johnson_(musician)

He was a very down to earth man and very humble, no ego at all. I met him once and told him he's a legend, his response:  " I'm nobody special." 

And this brings me to the subject of the HOF. Johnson, David Hood, Roger Hawkins and Barry Beckett along with Rick Hall should be in the Rock 'N Roll HOF.

• Upvote 1

A true gift to music. An influence to many who will never realize it. He played on so many records and in so many musical styles his touch on music was beyond vast.  I became aware of JJ through his mention in a Drive By Truckers song (David Hood, a swamper, being Patterson Hood's father). Then as I became more interested in my musical influences history realized his connection with my favorite band Lynyrd Skynyrd. There is a documentary on Netflix called "Muscle Shoals" and JJ is featured quite a bit. The things he was part of is simply amazing. Thanks for all the great music Jimmy! RIP.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Beerad12 said:

A true gift to music. An influence to many who will never realize it. He played on so many records and in so many musical styles his touch on music was beyond vast.  I became aware of JJ through his mention in a Drive By Truckers song (David Hood, a swamper, being Patterson Hood's father). Then as I became more interested in my musical influences history realized his connection with my favorite band Lynyrd Skynyrd. There is a documentary on Netflix called "Muscle Shoals" and JJ is featured quite a bit. The things he was part of is simply amazing. Thanks for all the great music Jimmy! RIP.

When the "Swampers" first started they were kids, just a bunch of country boys from Florence and Sheffield Alabama. But they were given the gift of musical talent from the Good Lord and together they were amazing. The Muscle Shoals Sound will forever be etched in American music.  The Swampers have been known to pick a song or two.

• 2 weeks later...