Gibson Brands Forums

Some Hokey On A Waterloo Ladder Braced - Warning: Waterloo Content

BluesKing777

I did a very short track of some hokey playing on my wonderful ladder braced Waterloo WL-14L to show a friend. I thought some here might want to hear. It is amazing for someone like me that you can just go and buy this in ...gasp...a shop near me....compared to endless searches for old bits.

BluesKing777.

Thank you Nick and Lars!

I have the same guitar in ladder braced and X braced versions and they both sound 'old', 30s old, so it must be another formula than ladder bracing that Bill Collins came up with to achieve this. He was known to say: "Listen to THIS, Listen to THIS!!!!"  to everybody after the prototype was made..... so I don't know what they do to them to make them sound old, but the finish is thin and matt and the neck is a chunky V

Now I thought I would get the ladder for slide and open tunings but after a couple of years, I prefer it the other X braced in Open G and the ladder in standard for things like the track above and RJ kind of stuff.

Gibson could come out with exact authentic type replicas of the Kalamazoo KG-14 etc. Look how many Waterloos are selling - there are even 2 or 3 here on the other side of the planet!

BluesKing777.