Gibson Brands Forums

pedal board advice

Qadiamia

I'm on a pretty tight bugdet. So I need a pedal board that has the best bang for the buck. I originally wanted to get a Boss BCB-60 because I liked the fact that it had its own power supply and came with its own cables (saves me money) but some of you guys told me it was a really terrible board. I've been playing for awhile and am a half decent guitar player but I've always shyed away from using effects, so my knowledge of pedal boards, quality of pedal boards, what to look for etc etc is pretty low. I want a pretty basic pedal board that carries about 6 pedals. I still have to buy a couple more pedals soon but eventually my board will be like this... Fender PT100 Tuner, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, Boss Chorus, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and Boss DD-3 Delay. Fairly simple. Anything that comes with cables etc is a plus. I'd generally like to keep the price at about $180 or lower. Can ya help me out?

Since you are running all boss you should be ok with that.  Also, I'd just go with a head stock tuner and save the $ and real estate on the board 

I have a few pedal trains, they're nice, sturdy, but can get expensive.  A metro 24 r 16 would do it.  not too pricey.

Another  one I use for my acoustic right a Gator The bone.   I have 6 pedals on that one.

For power, you could use a one spot if they all run on standard 9v, I've got a few, and they do work good for regular 9v  Lots of guys say they have problems with them, but I never had any.

Also one of the Forum guys here (BigTim), recommended Donner.  I have one just like this  it runs 5 of the 6 pedals (tonedexter needs a 6watt ps, so I have to use the one provided)  one of the pedals is a delay (that I bought from Tim!  Thx Tim!!!)  that requires 18v.  the donner runs it just fine.

• Like 2

I like to buy my own power supply and cables. If you bought the Gator Pedal Tote board you would have enough left over to buy a good power supply and cables.

I have 2 of them I put side by side. Well built and not too expensive 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gator-gpt-pedal-tote-pedal-board-with-carry-bag/546156000001000?rNtt=Pedal tote&index=4

• Like 1

I second the Pedaltrain, I have one and it is very good. that being said, it's just a metal frame with velcro so if you are on a budget, you can knock something up for a fraction of the price. Over on Reddit r/guitarpedals there are a bunch of people who made their own boards out of shelving units and all sorts.

I use a Truetone 1Spot CS12  to power my board and it's more than enough for my needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qadiamia said:

I'm on a pretty tight bugdet. So I need a pedal board that has the best bang for the buck. I originally wanted to get a Boss BCB-60 because I liked the fact that it had its own power supply and came with its own cables (saves me money) but some of you guys told me it was a really terrible board. I've been playing for awhile and am a half decent guitar player but I've always shyed away from using effects, so my knowledge of pedal boards, quality of pedal boards, what to look for etc etc is pretty low. I want a pretty basic pedal board that carries about 6 pedals. I still have to buy a couple more pedals soon but eventually my board will be like this... Fender PT100 Tuner, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, Boss Chorus, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and Boss DD-3 Delay. Fairly simple. Anything that comes with cables etc is a plus. I'd generally like to keep the price at about $180 or lower. Can ya help me out?

I've had the Boss BCB-60 for almost two years and I've not had any issues with it. Power supply has been solid, lots of space for my pedals. The cutouts are pretty easy to use. It has a nice sturdy case for lugging around. There's probably better boards and setups out there but this one is solid or at least it has been for me. I use it for band rehearsal and gigging and it's not failed me yet. With the Boss pedals you already have, they'll fit quite nicely in that board.

• Like 1

I have a Pedaltrain, which is sturdy and plenty of bang for the buck (I run a similar number of pedals).

I wouldn't splash out on an expensive power supply. I bought a cheap Riot power supply (1000A, my pedals use up about half of that) and a Riot cable with nine whatchamacallits. It's survived touring and all kinds of indignities and attempts on its life, and it's fine (it was the cheapest setup available to me).

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:08 PM, Qadiamia said:

I'm on a pretty tight bugdet. So I need a pedal board that has the best bang for the buck. I originally wanted to get a Boss BCB-60 because I liked the fact that it had its own power supply and came with its own cables (saves me money) but some of you guys told me it was a really terrible board. I've been playing for awhile and am a half decent guitar player but I've always shyed away from using effects, so my knowledge of pedal boards, quality of pedal boards, what to look for etc etc is pretty low. I want a pretty basic pedal board that carries about 6 pedals. I still have to buy a couple more pedals soon but eventually my board will be like this... Fender PT100 Tuner, Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, Boss Chorus, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and Boss DD-3 Delay like this https://bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-pedalboards/ . Fairly simple. Anything that comes with cables etc is a plus. I'd generally like to keep the price at about $180 or lower. Can ya help me out?

Go to home Depot and buy a shelf board. That will cost you about 5 to 10$. Then buy some George L cables and connectors so you can hook up your effects to each other. The pedalboard kit will cost about 50$ If you want to get a little more adventurous, you can drill holes through the board and wire it from underneath. Depending on the effects you use will determine how to power it. I use a Boss DD3 delay,a CE2 chorus, and a Tubescreamer. These run straight in, but if your amp has an effects loop it will require a different setup. I power my whole board with a one spot. The one spot kit which has several adapters for some odd power supplied pedals runs about 30$. So for under 100$ you can setup your own board pretty well. You can also add some non slip feet to the bottom and of curse velcro to hold the pedals down. This is a pic of mine. I still use this, its a 2 amp setup. The top row goes to one and the lower section goes to another. This is a little more involved than I described, but if you only have a few pedals it should be pretty simple to do and pretty cheap also.

To piggyback here, I bought an old hard-shell briefcase from a garage sale for like $3, removed everything inside, removed the hinges and added clasps, added the soft Velcro to the inside and bought a 1-Spot.

I'll take a picture when I get home, but it fits like 6-8 pedals depending on size and is real cheap and compact.

• Like 1

I've had a BCB-60 for about 5-6 years & use it almost daily... I have Boss Tuner, Byrds Janglebox, TS-808, Boss Digital Delay, Fender 64 Reverb & a Keeley 30MS Double Tracker Pedal.. I also like that I can run Stereo to 2 Amps easily. Never had any problems.. Very neat, organized, pedals stay in place,  cords are hidden, folds up like a small Suitacase & is ez to travel with... IMO they're great!

L

Edited by Larsongs