Gibson Brands Forums

J45 - Standard vs Baked Observations

uncle fester

I've played a couple open mics where one of the guys plays a J45 standard (purchased new this year) and we've been able to do a little compare and contrast to mine with baked top.

My first take-aways is his is like butter, and mine is crunch.  On his, everything sounds much smoother and blended together, on mine there seems to be more of a separation between notes, maybe brighter, or quicker decay, something that's a little different.  Depends what you like to say which is better (I like mine).  This also got me thinking on string choice though, I'm typically a PB guy, but thinking of going back to 80 / 20 where I feel those accent the crunchiness of my guitar.

Just thoughts - but it's not often I get a close comparison so figured I'd share.

• Like 1

I do have the vintage ('18 vintage)... and there's a few other things going as well in addition to what you mention.  Different nut (his is the black material) and he's got the grover rotomatics which are heavier and folks said that could add sustain a bit as well - so not apples to apples.  

Sound is subjective and for whatever reason you like the sound of one guitar better than another.  The major difference between a Standard and a TV though is the bracing.  One has rear shifted and the other forward shifted.  And both have their fans.

Edited by zombywoof

As already said - sound is subjective.  Although they have similar body, they are very different guitars - material and construction so the sound and feel will be different.  IMO the difference is night and day towards the Vintage (which is one I have) - I like the power delivered by the sum of the components listed below:

Vintage:

1) Much more scalloped #1 brace

2)  More angle on the X-brace - more open towards the bottom allowing for more bass

3) VOS

4) Hide Glue

5) Baked top

Notice I did not list Adirondack. I like a Mahogany back and sides guitar with Sitka as much as Adirondack. The preference towards Adi tops is when paired with rosewood.

I've yet to get my hands on a GIbson baked top but I've a few 70+ year old samples to compare. Some were better, some were not.

I do have similar Martin's one with a baked top (CS-D41-15) and one without (D41 Special). I haven't A/B'd them. I'd rather have someone else play them while I listen from across the room.  

Always new things to learn or take down when comparing siblings or cousins like this.  And sometimes what you experience isn't necessarily basis for a pattern.

I believe the mellow/crisp-difference is though.

Would like to ask : Did the 2 of you focus on compression and if yes, what did you feel

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Would like to ask : Did the 2 of you focus on compression and if yes, what did you feel

No we didn't, not quite sure what you mean by this.  If talking about the effect 'compression'...  I would feel his guitar had more of a natural compression than mine (based on his played with everything more blended together, and I believe I've got more articulation between notes / strings on mine).  Apologies if i misinterpreted, should see him again in a couple weeks so will pay a little more attention.

7 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

No we didn't, not quite sure what you mean by this.  

Some J-45s - not all - have a natural veil of compression in the acoustic box. Gibson even mentioned this on their site for many years.

It's a rather strange side-effect to these wonderful guitars and my 2010 Standard had quite a lot when new. Still something left as if it's in the nature of the good horse.

Nowadays the Gibson J-45-page use the term dynamic range (which may be the opposite). Perhaps they decided to leave the comp behind. I haven't played new slopes recently, so can't tell. 

P.S. My pals absolutely different much gentler, significantly less bassier almost 'lady-like' Historic Collection from between 2000 and 2005 has none.