Gibson Brands Forums

Library's and Vintage Albums ?

Murph

35 years ago the local library in Louisiana had albums you could check out. I used to check some out and record deep track stuff from Joni Mitchell, Harry Nilsson, and such.

I thought about that the other day and wondered if any of those Vintage albums are laying around your local library. They probably wouldn't be in great shape, but then again, you never know.

And would they sell them off from time to time?

Many decades ago I would visit Parnell Library on the University of Montevallo campus and listen to albums.  I can recall checking out the same album for 2 straight weeks, Hejira- Joni Mitchell, to figure out Jaco Pastorius bass lines and enjoy Larry Carlton guitar work. 

There's a weekly job club session at a mid size library I go to about 50 minutes from my house.  I did not see albums, but they have collections of CDs I've been able to take out for the commute.  I've been trying to use the time to listen to different types of music...  blues, blue grass yes, but big band, crooners, ...  it's nice, free,  - the library offers a good service.

...and to talk to the vintage album theme, when I got rid of my collection i tried to give it to the local library, they didn't want it.

Edited by billroy fineman

Listening to all kinds of music is IMO an important part of being a musician. I listen to everything from 3 chord blues to symphonies to non-Western music, to Latin American, to Afro Cuban, to European, to Tuvan throat singing, and anything else that comes my way. I wouldn't make a steady diet of some of it, but I analyze it and do my best to understand it. All that helps my rock/blues/jazz/country playing, which helps me make a living doing music and nothing but music.

A library or even YouTube is a good way to expose yourself to different genres.

Notes

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Listening to all kinds of music is IMO an important part of being a musician. I listen to everything from 3 chord blues to symphonies to non-Western music, to Latin American, to Afro Cuban, to European, to Tuvan throat singing, and anything else that comes my way. I wouldn't make a steady diet of some of it, but I analyze it and do my best to understand it. All that helps my rock/blues/jazz/country playing, which helps me make a living doing music and nothing but music.

A library or even YouTube is a good way to expose yourself to different genres.

I agree. The old free-form underground radio was educational for me, and we had a legendary underground station in Mesa/Phoenix in the early/mid 70's. Knowledgeable staff certainly helps.

I'm impressed with some of the internet radio stations we have now. Here's a few.

http://radiofreephoenix.com/whatsup/playing-now/

http://www.area24radio.com/

https://www.thecurrent.org/listen/heartland

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Listening to all kinds of music is IMO an important part of being a musician. 

This is the biggest thing I appreciate about the streaming music stations like Pandora and Google play.  You put in a musician / song and they build playlists....  you can get a view into a whole music type with not too many commutes -

uses data though, which I don't know what it is, but I do know I am the one that pays for it.

• Like 1