Gibson Brands Forums

Speed or feeling?

smithy78

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to know that someone on this Forum is familiar with the "Koeln Concert"and Keith Jarret!

+100000000!

I'd bet there are many more out there; more than you realise...

We' date=' [u']all[/u] of us, have Taste, you see?

That's why we come to be to this particular site.............

Gee, guys... now you've got this poor worn-out old man confused.

Girls, taste, cologne????? <chortle> Guitars?

Hey, that's as far as I go along those lines... I figure there may be children present. <grin>

Yeah, I see those little smileys, but I'm old fashioned and normally just use the words.

BTW, Koeln is a nice place, but I don't care for the regional variety of beer. Try "Alt" in nearby Duesseldorf!

And...

Girls are like guitars because there's a wonderful shape and they're almost always beautiful - but with strings attached. Or... Girls are like guitars because they're either sharp or flat??????

Okeydokey... perhaps that's a point of "taste," too.

I'd bet there are many more out there; more than you realise...

We' date=' [u']all[/u] of us, have Taste, you see?

That's why we come to be to this particular site.............

+ 100000000000000000000000000000

BTW "TASTE" was a pretty good band. Good old Rory was in it.God bless his soul.

I havent read the thread but I think its important to play with soul and feeling.

My point:

I love rush, they are my favorite band, but everything is so techincal and souless.

my .02

Led zeppelin plays with soul, everything they play just hits me in my cheast and makes my heart beat faster.

I havent read the thread but I think its important to play with soul and feeling.

My point:

I love rush' date=' they are my favorite band, but everything is so techincal and souless.

my .02

Led zeppelin plays with soul, everything they play just hits me in my cheast and makes my heart beat faster.[/quote']

I don't get it? Why would technical equate with soul-less?

For me, it seems that would be just the opposite - more technical ability = more soul, but that doesn't mean less technical = less soul.

This may not be the best comparison but it takes less (or perhaps different) technique to write a comic strip than it does a good novel or a classic like Tom Sawyer. Which has more soul and feeling between these two? One is more technical than the other, but we say "what a great writing" and the other we read, laugh at, and then throw away.

For me the idea is to get into what the music composition is saying or doing. When you break down a great piece of technical music and see how all the parts work in harmony together then you can begin to see the soul of the composer.

I love rush' date=' they are my favorite band, but everything is so techincal and souless.

Led zeppelin plays with soul, everything they play just hits me in my cheast and makes my heart beat faster.[/quote']

I really don't understand the logic being used here....

If you feel everything Rush plays is technical and soul-less why do you consider them to be your favourite band?

Contrariwise; If you feel everything LZ plays has soul, hits you in the chest and makes your heart beat faster then why aren't they your favourite band?

Perhaps you just don't like being hit in the chest (And who could blame you?).....

Hey Guys, first post, but I just had to on this topic.

Obviously the feeling has to be there, if the playing is going to be good, but speed is sometimes a way to achieve a certain feeling.

On the other hand, sometimes a player totally destroys the feeling with speed.

My favorite example of this can be seen on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBhMqS361U&feature=related

I'm totally in favor of doing a cover in one's own way, but in my opinion this guy rapes the song just to show how fast he is.

If you feel everything Rush plays is technical and soul-less why do you consider them to be your favourite band?

Contrariwise; If you feel everything LZ plays has soul' date=' hits you in the chest and makes your heart beat faster then why aren't [i']they[/i] your favourite band?

Perhaps you just don't like being hit in the chest (And who could blame you?).....

I was thinking the same thing....

Contrariwise; If you feel everything LZ plays has soul' date=' hits you in the chest and makes your heart beat faster then why aren't [i']they[/i] your favourite band?

I think I've got it!

You're a bass guitar player, right ???

JK.......

:-({|=

flash and feel are two things rarely combined. I personally love Neil Young, who is capable of flash (Like A Hurricane, for example) but very, very rarely whips it out.

I like a bit of flash to be a rare treat. Widdling for the sake of speed turns me off.

My logic is rush has great techincal ability, they play together with alot of dynamics. They play fast and do the coolest things I have ever seen on there instruments BUT everything is to Robotic. For me there is no sence of a soul. Everything they play is pre planned, practiced to the finest detail. I love this about them, Its like everone is soloing at once. I like them the most because of how diffrent they are from the rest.

The memebers on Led zeppelin were all very tatented. Each memember could tell what everyone else was going to play. If Jimmy wanted to do a 15 min solo in f# then everyone else would follow. If John bonham wanted to speed up a song everyone would follow. Every one is on their toes. Playing with there heart and whatever comes to mind when they are playing.

Listen to Dazed and confused (thats probly the best example)

I think I've got it!

You're a bass guitar player' date=' right ???

JK.......

:-({|= [/quote']

Thats a major part of it. I have taken what he has done tecnically and tone wise.

Then I took the John paul jones groving, blues style bass playing and put them together.

... Well... I guess I'll weigh in again on this one...

Some of the old "stride" piano players were incredibly fast and skilled. My major objection to some of their playing is that it seemed to exude "joy" even when the song was "blue" if not "blues."

Ditto one recording I once owned of Louis Armstrong doing "I'll be glad when you're dead, you rascal, you."

But one way or another, the phrasing fast or slow did exhibit "feeling," whether it was particularly appropriate or not. I've also heard a bit of that "fun" feeling in some really fast baroque keyboard fugues.

Yet I think it takes a degree of musical maturation - age plays a part, but not at all the only part since talent seems to play a huge role in the mix - to play fast in ways that also exhibits "feeling."

Ever listen to Fats Waller? As a guitarist I think Roy Buchanan was one of the few who could truly combine speed and feeling in a number of "musical styles" on his Tele. Or check Youtube for Chet playing "Mr. Sandman" with his fingers and tiny "vocal" doing the whole piece about half tongue in cheek...

Les Paul himself he was pretty fast.

I mean if you ran his guitar through a hi gain amp back then he would have been a shredder.

The thing about terms like "soul" and "feeling" are very subjective.

In the end there is music you like and music you don't like. Music you want to play and music you don't.

Thanks, Ba$shole, for replying to my juvenile interjections.

I sort of understand now : You perhaps appreciate a more 'technically proficient' band to a band who play more 'from the heart' and why not?

In a similar way I, early on in my playing life, became fascinated by Steve Howe when he was in 'Yes'. Although he certainly does play with feeling it is perhaps not so dominating a force as it is with other players and his technique is certainly astonishingly proficient.

Thanks for taking my leg-pulling(s) in the light-hearted spirit in which they were conceived.

If you want me to write out, as a punishment, a list of 'Twenty Bass players who Changed the face of Popular Music forever' then just say the word!

Archived