Gibson Brands Forums

2020 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60s - Iced Tea

indiekiduk

Received this amazing guitar today, it plays so great, love the new (old) headstock shape. Great action, no buzzing and intonation seems fine. I'm familiar with the slim taper neck from the 50th Anniversary 1962 Sheraton, which funnily enough has the same Kalamazoo headstock, which is why I went for the 60s over the 50s. Plus I already have a Korean Les Paul Custom which has a fatter neck which I find less enjoyable to play.

Sadly there are a few finish issues so I'm pondering about returning it. Here they are, in the order I noticed them:

1. Dirty marks embedded in the binding on left side of first and second frets.
  2. Nut is offset very slightly to the right and not smooth with the neck.
  3. Possible fracture deep in the finish at the nut.
  4. Tiny curve cut out of the neck pickup surround.
  5. Trust rod cover screws are in at angle, the same angle, quite far off straight.
  6. Not sure if it is dirty strings or the laurel wood but my fingers get extremely dirty which playing, most likely strings just need a good clean.

Would anyone else return it because of these issues or am I being too picky? I used a coupon to get a great price which I may forfeit if I returned it, and if I exchange I always the chance of getting one in a worse state.

nJHz9qv.jpg

zTTzywf.jpg

MxUsTvX.jpg

VqOSruo.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, indiekiduk said:

no, might try the ltd edition 59 Les Paul when it comes out, that gets QC checked in USA so might help catch the finish issues 

Didnt know that! thanks for the tip

its a bummer, i also wanted to get a 60s standard but i've read a lot of reviews now about cosmetic flaws and the frets not being correct, so i dont wanna order online

On 2/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, spc1968 said:

All the Epiphones's have a sticker on the back of the neck.  Inspected in the USA

Are you saying that  the Epiphone 59 Les Paul will be QC checked by Gibson QC instead of Epiphone QC?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Only epiphones sold in USA have that sticker I think. I know none of the ones I've bought in the UK have them.

Technically there all Gibson QC. That's the catch, they can say Gibson QC because that's the name on the employee pay slip. 

Also, I've always had doubts as to someone further unpacking and quality checking every  new epiphone that gets sold in USA. Good marketing though either way.

If this is brand new and you are not happy I would return it.   But if may make a suggestion, take five or ten minutes out of your time to speak with Gibson/Epiphone customer service 

Explain to them the situation, I am guessing it has the QC sticker on the back.  It certainly should not have left the factory like that, they may even offer to send you a replacement or see if they can solve the issue for your - whether a refund or other solution.

If you do call, please share with us your experience.  I am still very interested in finding out more about the Epiphone QC.

I spoke to them recently and they told me that their QC department does the intonation and Setup and checking,   If was bought from a retailer they also should check the condition before it is sold.

Cheers!

Just to let everyone to know I went through 3 Les Paul classic 2020  Honey burst . everyone one of them the necks where terrible fret buzzing and dead frets all over the neck on all 3 of them 

couldn't even get a low action at all.  I am disappointed in them. I really loved the guitar but hell I bought a LTD a while back les paul style and its one of my fav and plays amazing. For less money.

Epiphone  needs to fix this issue. I am wondering if has anything to do with the Corona virus that the workers are not doing a good job. 3 in a row is a strike out for me. I wanted to like the guitar.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I returned a Gibson Studio last week, looked like Stevie Wonder applied the lacquer and there was a ding on the cutout.  So sent it back, and bought an Epiphone instead, problem solved arrived in excellent condition, unlike the Gibson.

Only one thing that annoys me, according to spec for new Epiphone Les Paul inspired by Gibson range, they say it has CTS pots......yeah right, so why is there just 1 CTS volume pot and 3 Non CTS push pull pots?

Apart from that very happy with my Epi

I've been hearing a lot about quality control issues, high frets, etc. on these new "Inspired by Gibson" Epi's....

I just ordered an SG Special P90, and will report back, on any issues I may find, in my "NGD" thread. However, I purchased from Sweetwater, and they provide some detailed hi-res images of what you're buying. I can't detect any issues, whatsoever, in fit and finish.

As for your Iced Tea '60s LP... it looked fantastic "from a distance". I was actually considering one of those, but perhaps in Bourbon Burst. But now, like you, I am thinking of holding out for the '59 model later this year.

Edited by darling67
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 4:21 PM, ChainsawCharlie said:

I returned a Gibson Studio last week, looked like Stevie Wonder applied the lacquer and there was a ding on the cutout.  So sent it back, and bought an Epiphone instead, problem solved arrived in excellent condition, unlike the Gibson.

Only one thing that annoys me, according to spec for new Epiphone Les Paul inspired by Gibson range, they say it has CTS pots......yeah right, so why is there just 1 CTS volume pot and 3 Non CTS push pull pots?

Apart from that very happy with my Epi

this is the second time i read about the cts pots on the new epis =( this sucks, i want one but this and all the QA issues ppl are reporting are a turn off

I've just seen a reply by epiphone on their official Instagram, on a post about the lp and SG muse range. 

Someone mentioned the various reports of bad fret work on the 2020 models,they admitted knowing about it and said they are working with the factory to sort it.

At least they accept theres a problem, shame for people who already bought a bad one.

Edited by Matt4356
  • Like 1

My Guitar Tech does a great job setting up my Epi guitars,does a fret dress and checks whole guitar over £50 and it looks Mint. I would never buy a guitar in this price range without having a setup 1st.

He did report several scratchy frets, but great now and has great intonation and holds pitch well.

TBH I like playing it far more than a Gibson Studio.

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought an LP Special of this new collection, and it has several high frets among others things you commented, it is going to the official service for the 3rd time now... let's see if this time they sent me a new guitar. There is a huge problem whit this, we also bought an SG 61´and 2 of 3 have the same problem. 

Reseating, leveling frets, in my opinion, shouldn't have to be done on a new guitar.