Gibson Brands Forums

Arlo Guthrie - Local CL

Dave F

I don't see anything about the bracing, they just refer it to the LG2

This is from GC site

The old troubadour wanted to be sure young Arlo got off on the right foot, so Woody gave him a real guitar with a 22-3/4"-scale V-shaped neck and small body Arlo Guthrie could handle--the classic L-00 style. The tone on this Gibson LG-2 is super-friendly and mellow from a solid Sitka spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. A touch of class comes in the form of triple top and back binding and a tortoise pickguard. The Gibson Arlo Guthrie guitar comes with a hardshell case.

Features

• Solid Sitka spruce top
  • Solid mahogany back and sides
  • Mahogany V-shape neck
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • Historic ladder bracing
  • 22-3/4" scale
  • Gotoh tuners
  • Gloss finish
  • Hardshell Gibson guitar case included

I have seen Arlo a bunch of times.  He lived near me for a bit.. I recall he  once threw a small music festival in Garrison, NY.  The guitar is only a few hours awy from me.  The only one of those shrunken LG2s I have played was an original 1950s guitar.   Lets just leave it as I was far from impressed.

Edited by zombywoof

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

I don't see anything about the bracing, they just refer it to the LG2

This is from GC site

The old troubadour wanted to be sure young Arlo got off on the right foot, so Woody gave him a real guitar with a 22-3/4"-scale V-shaped neck and small body Arlo Guthrie could handle--the classic L-00 style. The tone on this Gibson LG-2 is super-friendly and mellow from a solid Sitka spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. A touch of class comes in the form of triple top and back binding and a tortoise pickguard. The Gibson Arlo Guthrie guitar comes with a hardshell case.

Features

• Solid Sitka spruce top
  • Solid mahogany back and sides
  • Mahogany V-shape neck
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • Historic ladder bracing
  • 22-3/4" scale
  • Gotoh tuners
  • Gloss finish
  • Hardshell Gibson guitar case included

"Historic ladder bracing".

Also checked scale length last night. I believe it is 22 3/4". This is a very scaled-down guitar, and is likely to have tone to match. The youtube videos I saw reflected this.

Edited by j45nick
correction of error

That would make a good boat/travel guitar because of its size, but it probably won't be as robust or tuning-stable in that environment as my carbon fiber  CA Cargo guitar, which just has a gig bag.

it is a cute little guy.

Specs say nut width is 1 9/16". I wonder if that is actually correct? My little CA has a 1 3/4" nut, which is one reason I love it.

I really like the Arlo. The problem for me is that I'm exactly the same size as Greg Koch over at Wildwood, both in height and build, so it would look like a toy in my hands, much as it does in his!

I always enjoy Greg's videos, not only as he is a stellar player but also because I can tell exactly how any guitar he demos will look on me when I'm onstage. 

In fact, without wanting to stray too far off topic, here is a clip of him playing my Maple AJ!

11 hours ago, j45nick said:

Jinder, I can see and hear why you bought that particular AJ.

Wow!

Thanks Nick! It's an exceptional guitar...so punchy and bright but still really deep and rich and complex. Playing it is best described as exhilarating, which is something I can't say for many other guitars. I've been inspired, soothed, fascinated, transfixed and transported by other guitars, but the AJ is just flat-out exciting. If my other guitars are cars, this one is a motorcycle!

Edited by Jinder