Gibson Brands Forums

New Geetar

Hydra26

Well, I'm new to steel string acoustics, but I just got mine today and she's a keeper.

DSC00013sm.jpg

Just out of curiosity anyone with a Dove, is the binding supposed to cover the fret ends like on a LP? Mine doesn't.

Thanks guys. It's pretty far beyond my ability level and not the kind of thing I can buy often, but I'm never going to musically outgrow it, I think. I decided to splurge on something that was gonna last me a long time. :)

Thanks guys. It's pretty far beyond my ability level and not the kind of thing I can buy often' date=' but I'm never going to musically outgrow it, I think. I decided to splurge on something that was gonna last me a long time. =D>[/quote']

I always recommend that people do exactly that - buy above their level and buy something they like. That gives you the motivation to play. And practicing on a good guitar is a lot easier and more fun than practicing on a bad one.

It's also why I recommend against purchasing Estebans.

I'm not a dove guy' date=' or a hummingbird guy--don't like those square shoulder guitars.[/size']

But.....THAT is Beautiful!!!

O:)=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I am a Dove guy.... And a Hummingbird guy... So I would be proud to own her. When your done with her that is.

She's real purty. Congrats.

to put your mind at ease, none of the Modern Classic range have bound fret-ends. That went out with the HCs from a few years ago...my SJ200 has it, but it's an '03. Be glad, it makes them a biznotch to refret.

You have some beautiful silking in the grain of the top on your Dove, it's freakin' edible.

Beautiful Dove!!! I have a fondness for them even though I am more of a slope shoulder guy.

An older friend of mine has one from the early 60's that he plays all the time. It has been smashed over his head by his ex-wife, repaired on the cheap in Mexico by his buddies, has action that could make your fingers hurt just looking at it, seen countless nights at a bar on the Canadian Border town of International Falls, MN and I am sure has stories buried in it's tone that should not be told in front of small children or those easily offended.... :-#

If your lucky, here is what your's should look like after about 40+ years of hard living.... Even with the cheese slicer action, it still sounds heavenly! This is me playing it after I let him play my 2005 AJ and he refused to give it back. I was perfectly happy playing his Dove for most of the night. (My AJ was way eaiser on his old fingers I guess... ;) )

GibsonDove1965.jpg

I always recommend that people do exactly that - buy above their level and buy something they like. That gives you the motivation to play. And practicing on a good guitar is a lot easier and more fun than practicing on a bad one.

It's also why I recommend against purchasing Estebans.

I'll 2nd that. I think your guitar should always be better than you. It makes you play better!!

If my guitar was on my playing level, I would own an Esteban!!

[-o<

Congrats and it looks great. I'd ask if I can stop by and play it, but I know I'd be the one who bangs it against the coffee table and you dont need that. It looks new but whats the build date?

{snip}An older friend of mine has one from the early 60's that he plays all the time. It has been smashed over his head by his ex-wife' date=' repaired on the cheap in Mexico by his buddies, has action that could make your fingers hurt just looking at it, seen countless nights at a bar on the Canadian Border town of International Falls, MN and I am sure has stories buried in it's tone that should not be told in front of small children or those easily offended.... :-# [i']{snip}[/i]

GibsonDove1965.jpg

That may very well be the most visual description I have ever heard.

:-({|=

WOW, lotta replies :-

Jinder, thanks for the info, it does set my mind at ease. I got used to the binding a certain way on ym LP and a couple of my explorers so I had to do a double take and everything else seemed legit although you never know these days with all the fakes. Noone stocks this kinda stuff where I live in upstate so I snagged actually the last one at AMS. I've had great luck so far the few times I've had to order online. They're usually in better shape than one off a shelf around here and they come with the right paperwork.

Build date is 274 (too tired to work that out right now) in 08. It sure is delightful to play. Is mine gonna turn red in 40 years? Cos I don't like red finish on guitars. (just kidding, haha.)

I didn't know there was a term for the way the light plays on the top finish, thanks for adding to my vocabulary! The flame is pretty pronounced from some angles on the back too. I fully intend to grow old with this guitar (and some of my electrics).

Cheers

That is sweet.

I agree with the above your level even though I went years the opposite way - not of my own choosing...

When I was 13 and just learning a guy that played in a bar/restaurant that my dad owned came over a few times and showed us stuff. He had a Dove and a big old Gibson 12 (maybe a B-45 - it was huge) that he let us play when he was around. got us hooked in a hurry.

Archived