Gibson Brands Forums

1946 SJ vs SJ Sheryl Crow

JuanCarlosVejar

So I've got a question on how these guitars ring out on the D-chords. It's something I've always wondered, and this video has a nice quality wound to it that makes it easy to hear. The timestamps for the strums are 1:59 for the 2013, and the 0:18 for the 1946 model. This may take a decent set of headphones to hear. 

So the 1946 model rings out very much how I might expect a guitar to ring out, though it may have gotten a bit off towards the end. The 2013 rings out with a more 'complex' resonant sound. In my mind, I hear the 1946 as one solid unit ringing as one solid unit might. On the 2013, I hear what sounds like more things on the guitar are contributing to the sound.

My question is this. Is either of them wrong, or considered a slight imperfection? I do not mean to imply defect, btw. Is this something that decreases as guitars age? What do you folks' more experienced ears tell you on this?

JC - Thanks for posting all these great pictures and video finds you discover. I enjoy them.

That is one of the better A-B comparisons I have seen. The test tracks are exactly the kind of music you associate with  Gibson slope-J, and the two guitars are directly comparable.

One thing this comparison does is show just how superbly modern Bozeman Gibsons are at replicating the voices of their ancestors.

Another good thing about these test from my perspective is that we are listening to the guitars the way others hear them, not the way we hear them while we are playing.

To my ear, both guitars have wonderful tone. The new guitar has a certain lushness that is missing in the vintage guitar. The vintage guitar has a dryness, note separation, and articulation that is substantially different than the new guitar, even though the overall effect is similar.

I have two mahogany slope-J's that are directly comparable to these two: and all-original 1950 J-45, and a modern 1943 SJ re-issue. What I hear in those two guitars, sitting behind the wheel rather than in front, as in this test, is pretty darn similar.

My two are my favorite guitars right now, and this test reminds me of why they are.

The guy demo'ing the guitars is perfect for the job, and shows them off well.

JCV, thanks for posting this.

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

That is one of the better A-B comparisons I have seen. The test tracks are exactly the kind of music you associate with  Gibson slope-J, and the two guitars are directly comparable.

One thing this comparison does is show just how superbly modern Bozeman Gibsons are at replicating the voices of their ancestors.

Another good thing about these test from my perspective is that we are listening to the guitars the way others hear them, not the way we hear them while we are playing.

To my ear, both guitars have wonderful tone. The new guitar has a certain lushness that is missing in the vintage guitar. The vintage guitar has a dryness, note separation, and articulation that is substantially different than the new guitar, even though the overall effect is similar.

I have two mahogany slope-J's that are directly comparable to these two: and all-original 1950 J-45, and a modern 1943 SJ re-issue. What I hear in those two guitars, sitting behind the wheel rather than in front, as in this test, is pretty darn similar.

My two are my favorite guitars right now, and this test reminds me of why they are.

The guy demo'ing the guitars is perfect for the job, and shows them off well.

JCV, thanks for posting this.

He is a member here, Nick....

You can tell him yourself.

What about this sucker a short drive away? May be harder to get hold of than a vintage....they go like hot cakes normally - the BZ price may have put a stop to some.

https://folkwaymusic.com/new-instruments/item/id.3827

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

40 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

He is a member here, Nick....

You can tell him yourself.

What about this sucker a short drive away? May be harder to get hold of than a vintage....they go like hot cakes normally - the BZ price may have put a stop to some.

https://folkwaymusic.com/new-instruments/item/id.3827

BluesKing777.

That's basically a Brazilian AJ with a narrow nut. I'd love to play it.

30 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That's basically a Brazilian AJ with a narrow nut. I'd love to play it.

I thought you might appreciate it.

UMGF has had lots of threads in the past about the Authentic Series versus Pre-war Guitar Company, and a lot of people that would have bought Authentics have bought Prewar Co.

Chances of ever seeing  a normal mahogany PW one here are pretty slim, chances of a PW BZ - ZERO. So enjoy them if you can US'ers!

Sorry, Mr Curly, but your new Banners haven't arrived here yet. Will they be exact enough copies of the real Banner for some to part with $US5K? ($AU10K here, the way it is going).

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

What a great comparisement. Both sounded great,. I  was listening mainly from a perpective as the guiar as a vocal companion.  I thought if just on its own, played without vocals Id prefer the chunky, dry tone of the vintage SJ.  But with vocals, Id go for the lusher,  less boomy tone of the modern SJ. 

That's  a  great comparison of a couple of really nice sounding guitars.  My favorite was whichever was being played at that particular moment.  This video should make anyone paying attention feel really good about what Gibson has been doing in recent years.  The company may  still have a few quirks, but they are building guitars that do the brand proud.

Ian Meadows does a fantastic job producing these videos.  I am not aware of anyone out there doing better online comparisons and reviews. 

Does anybody here  know what the first song in that video is? 

Edited by Bozz