Gibson Brands Forums

Humidification advice needed

Viper1973

Just purchased my dream guitar a couple days ago (J45 Standard) and absolutely love it.  However I’m struggling to find a humidity management system to protect it.

Mine shipped with a Humidipak starter kit from D’Addario.  I used it for a couple of days and then pulled it after the humidity levels in the sealed case went from my house humidity (47%RH) up to 64% And stayed there.  Contacted them and they said the kits start out delivering humidity in the low 60’s and then drop down to around 42 as they die.   Not a good answer for something supposed to “guarantee” 45-50% constantly. I have finally gotten the level back down but now I’m looking for a solution that won’t turn my guitar into a swamp creature.

What do you guys recommend?  Is the Oasis a good choice... something else?

I know I’m being an “over protective” parent with the J45 but I don’t want to use something that will cause issues down the road.  I’m new to guitars in general and just don’t want to screw this up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My guitars are sitting on stands in my little studio room, out in the open. I use a regular "drug store" type humidifier (aka vaporizer) to add humidity as needed, and strive to keep it around 50%. That isn't very difficult all year around. In the summer, even with the window air conditioner running all day, it never drops below that level. I have a 1965 J-50, 2008 J-50 and a Martin D-15M sitting out in this room. Absolutely no problems with this approach, which I adopted about 8 years ago. It makes me happy to see my guitars, and I don't get much pleasure from just looking at a case. 🙂

If you're really concerned, then I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from others here about case humidifiers. But I'd say, just monitor the humidity in the room and use a cheap humidifer to control it as needed in the winter.

I'm down with Boyd, and I have some really old and fragile geetars.  Haven't cased a guitar in ten years and more or less thumbed my nose at humidification, but found my newer guitars needed something. Venta makes quiet, ez to service machines. Of course, you have to have the size room this would work in. For instance, a big one with a vaulted ceiling would be tough to even out.

Edited by jedzep
  • Like 1

A little over a year ago I setup a music room. I found that the dehumidification was easier. I bought one  unit with a pump so it would drain constantly. Takes care of the entire lower level of the house. For humidification I had to contain it to the room. I have 5 monitors in the music room and a few more throughout the house.  I really enjoy the guitars setting out. They get played more often. I have about 36 of them setting out. Before that I used the humidipaks plus had a few of the bluetooth monitors in the cases of the more expensive guitars. Except for occasionally emitting  white dust I had no issues. There has been a few reports of the paks leaking and damaging finishes. No matter what you use, you need to monitor the process.

Humidipaks alone go bone dry where I am, (Central Massachusetts.)     if I use a dampit and a damp sponge in a soap case with holes the humidipaks will work better for me.  I monitor the RH for that guitar (Taylor nylon) and it stays at 45/50

I also use Oasis tubes for most of my guitars and I need to refill them (distilled water) about twice a week.  It's still very dry here, around 24 today.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Ditto

I’m confused.....

Aren’t  your humidipaks doing the same over humidification spike mine did? The booklet that came with the J45 said I should stay in the 45-50% range which is why a freaked when they jacked the humidity up to 64% and kept it there.

26 minutes ago, Viper1973 said:

I’m confused.....

Aren’t  your humidipaks doing the same over humidification spike mine did? The booklet that came with the J45 said I should stay in the 45-50% range which is why a freaked when they jacked the humidity up to 64% and kept it there.

I never noticed that spike when I used them

17 minutes ago, usernameinvalid said:

If your house is at 47% why are you humidifing your guitar?

Gibson recommends 45 to 50% so you are right in the sweet spot. 

My understanding was that the Humidipaks were to maintain the humidity level within the case regardless of what the external environment does to keep it in the safe zone so it didn’t fluctuate.