Gibson Brands Forums

Easy-going song for a Sunday.

MissouriPicker

11 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

She rides that song well. 

(the guitar misses a tooth)

That J-50 is pretty typical of late-50s slope-J sound, although it gets a little thin capo'd up that far. Compare that to Buc's modern 'bird capo'd up another two frets (but tuned down a half).

Still a great singer/songwriter's instrument, any way you look at it. She ain't being gentle on it. 

Nice song, nice performance.

6 hours ago, j45nick said:

That J-50 is pretty typical of late-50s slope-J sound, although it gets a little thin capo'd up that far. Compare that to Buc's modern 'bird capo'd up another two frets (but tuned down a half).

Still a great singer/songwriter's instrument, any way you look at it. She ain't being gentle on it. 

Nice song, nice performance.

I know this ain't the Epiphone section, but sometimes opportunity knocks. Here's a Frontier, , , and a very good song from that very same lady. 

When mentioning a missing tooth, I meant the third fret dot. 

23 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

. . . When mentioning a missing tooth, I meant the third fret dot. 

Well, thank goodness for that little addition- now I might be able to get some sleep tonight. (did make me look close for what sort of enigmatic reference E-min7 was doing this time)

A fine strumming style she has in both selections. Nice voice, full of nuance. Thanks for posting, Mo'Pic.

40 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Well, thank goodness for that little addition- now I might be able to get some sleep tonight. (did make me look close for what sort of enigmatic reference E-min7 was doing this time)

A fine strumming style she has in both selections. Nice voice, full of nuance. Thanks for posting, Mo'Pic.

Hehe, , , and you with the eyes of a hawk didn't see it. . 

Maybe busy hearing her qualities. 

Perhaps it's my headphones, but I thought the sound on the first video that MissouriPicker posted  was very good. The low end may have not been thick, but it was very mature and push/let everything else pop into focus without having to scream. I very much enjoyed that performance a great deal.

(by "mature", I mean the low-end supported the low-mids instead of being so dominant as to avoid shouting out "look at me!!!". Not too thick, in other words.)

32 minutes ago, PatriotsBiker said:

Perhaps it's my headphones, but I thought the sound on the first video that MissouriPicker posted  was very good. The low end may have not been thick, but it was very mature and push/let everything else pop into focus without having to scream. I very much enjoyed that performance a great deal.

(by "mature", I mean the low-end supported the low-mids instead of being so dominant as to avoid shouting out "look at me!!!". Not too thick, in other words.)

Yes, the low-end is discrete, which suits this kind of very active and consistent playing. I would have liked it a bit stronger though. Guess the measurestick is to the hear the guitar as a whole band, thus the 5th and 6th as some sort (double)bass more or less present on each beat of the bar.  

How do you like your porridge- mostly hot to medium hot, or mostly medium hot but still slightly hot?😳.

The more driving rhythm of the first really buoyed the tune in Mo'Pick's clip, but as Nick observed, she was not being soft on the strings, either. Different rooms/different strings/different  occasions. I'm sure PatriotsBkr picked up on the ambient room sound on the first one in his headphones. But yes, there was reverb there, too.

Maybe the porridge was not too thick on the first one, but don't discount the capo factor. 

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes, the low-end is discrete, which suits this kind of very active and consistent playing. I would have liked it a bit stronger though. Guess the measurestick is to the hear the guitar as a whole band, thus the 5th and 6th as some sort (double)bass more or less present on each beat of the bar.  

I agree there was room for a bigger bottom. It was nice to hear this, though. My headphones (Focal Elegia running through a cheap DAC) do well at digging out tone and seperation below 200Hz that others present as more typical low-end energy and bounce. A more extreme example of that build up is the modern-day Bose low-end energy build up.  Essentially, these fit this video perfectly.

Funny, this sound reminded me a little bit about the Cleartone EQ strings I tried on my Hummingbird (modern-day standard) The bottom was there, but it was hard to make it dominate. I put a regular set on it two weeks ago and there it was.

10 hours ago, 62burst said:

How do you like your porridge- mostly hot to medium hot, or mostly medium hot but still slightly hot?😳.

The more driving rhythm of the first really buoyed the tune in Mo'Pick's clip, but as Nick observed, she was not being soft on the strings, either. Different rooms/different strings/different  occasions. I'm sure PatriotsBkr picked up on the ambient room sound on the first one in his headphones. But yes, there was reverb there, too.

Maybe the porridge was not too thick on the first one, but don't discount the capo factor. 

She rode the strings hard. A very controlled result, too. Nice. I did pick up the room ambience. I'm still trying to build it myself. That room, along with whatever reverb(s) may have been in use, did great to stop as to not clutter things. Nice bright, but tamed early reflections. I can never pick out what's room verses what's reverb unless it's extreme. Here voice didn't appear to me like it had any sort of excessive tail going on, which helped make the sound so good throughout. (IMO)

Zooming in on the Tune-O-Matic bridge shown in the first second of Matthew Scott's '65 Dove video originally put up to the forum by Juan Carlos reminded me of a puzzlement I had when looking at the Kim Richey vid in Emin7's above post. Any idea what's going on the discolored area on the bridge on the Epi Frontier? :

dPsDbCn.png

It doesn't seem to be wear. . . it goes right down to the top at the front edge of the bridge:

vu0DMKN.png

and Buc- there's your set list (or are those lyrics?). . . plastered onto the maple.