Gibson Brands Forums

Assisted Suicide?

Homz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be the week for heavy topics - but jokes aside I am all for it Homz. We treat our pets better than we treat our fellow humans who are suffering.

The Pope came out yesterday and said that condoms encourage the spread of AIDS. What an ignoramus. No wonder people of Christian faith including catholics are confused and dont know why they cant relate to the institution that is their Church.

But I was brought up with Christian values and I can live them without needing to heed myths and rubbish that SOME of the traditional churches espouse.

Let's face it, doctors have been making that assist for as long as there have been doctors.

I was just reading an article on Washington state's new assisted suicide law a couple of weeks ago. Oregon has had one in place for, what--a decade or so? It's been used about 300 times, but it *did* have the effect of actually improving the state of palliative care and earlier hospice referral. So while folks are busy arguing over whether dr's should help their patients die, it turns out that just having that option has improved overall end-of-life care. A rather unexpected, but welcome result.

I watched my dad die from Cancer. Days from the end the doctor upped his morphine dose to a point which made him peacefuly slip into a coma and die. Its a dignified end to a horrendus illness.. This happens all the time with victims of Cancer..

I fulled agree with assisted suicide..

Regards

Flight959

Must be the week for heavy topics - but jokes aside I am all for it Homz. We treat our pets better than we treat our fellow humans who are suffering.

The Pope came out yesterday and said that condoms encourage the spread of AIDS. What an ignoramus. No wonder people of Christian faith including catholics are confused and dont know why they cant relate to the institution that is their Church.

But I was brought up with Christian values and I can live them without needing to heed myths and rubbish that SOME of the traditional churches espouse.

This Pope is just ridiculously ignorant. It saddens me that some religious leaders are so hellbent (no pun intended) on pushing their agendas, they will ignore the fact that people are dying all around. Which is the greater sin--having sex without making a baby or lying to people in such a way that it could literally kill them?

I watched my dad die from Cancer. Days from the end the doctor upped his morphine dose to a point which made him peacefuly slip into a coma and die. Its a dignified end to a horrendus illness.. This happens all the time with victims of Cancer..

Regards

Flight959

i have experienced a similar situation. i agree with you completely.

Im with you flight.

I too, watched my mother get eaten alive by Cancer. Those images will be burned into my memory forever.

A dignified, painless way should be available.

Miss you mom.

Much to my surprise, my grandmother decided she was tired of fighting (after living probably 50 years beyond when she "should" have died). She waited until the entire family had managed to come in and see her and then when the grandkids and great-grandchildren had left, her doctor gave her some morphine and she took off all the equipment and just slipped away. As much as that hurt--it was nothing compared to watching my grandfather succumb to Alzheimer's. Our son was named after him and he was one of the few people left that my grandfather recognized.

My point of view is the European view, where government endorsed assisted suicide is over-used appallingly. It is just one more avenue of abuse. If you were intimately familiar with the abuses heaped on our elderly you would be against assisted suicide.

One important point to consider is that elder law lawyers are not advocates for the elderly, they are advocates for people who want the estates of the elderly. That should tell you something important about how our system works. Every 15 minutes a lawsuit is filed charging gross abuses leading to the death of an elderly person in this country.

My point of view is the European view' date=' where government endorsed assisted suicide is over-used appallingly. It is just one more avenue of abuse. If you were intimately familiar with the abuses heaped on our elderly you would be against assisted suicide.

One important point to consider is that elder law lawyers are not advocates for the elderly, they are advocates for people who want the estates of the elderly. That should tell you something important about how our system works. Every 15 minutes a lawsuit is filed charging gross abuses leading to the death of an elderly person in this country. [/quote']

Rudy,

The couple of states where this is legal have got some extremely stringent rules regarding whether a patient can get a prescription for an overdose or not. If a patient cannot actually take the medication without assistance, they cannot get the script.

I don't doubt that there would/could be abuses of such a law, but I'm not willing to deny a person the ability to leave this world without swallowing a bullet.

Soooooo it's ok to assist a suicide' date=' which is illegal, but pirating music is a big no no?

[/quote']

apples to oranges...for the most part.

but in a way yes. pirating music is infringing on someone else's rights. people have the right to die. and helping them does not infringe on their rights. notice its "assisted suicide" not homocide.

wicked1:

I agree with you. If I were in bad shape with no hope of recovery I'd want to take that option myself.

The problem is that we continue to cheapen life by institutionalizing these practices. For example, whether we are "pro choice" or "pro life" we can't fail to observe that the rate and number of abortions in this country has gone dramtically high compared to times only a few decades ago when there was a strong negative stygma associated with abortion. I also see the behavior of Netherlanders who use a variety of horrific ploys to push their old codgers into the grave.

My personal belief is that that abortion should be against the law, but the law should not be enforced aggressively (kind of like the marijuana laws in California), and that there should be a continuing public stygma around abortion. Same for assisted suicide. In any case, the debate should rage on because going 100% either way in these arguments is bad.

apples to oranges...for the most part.

but in a way yes. pirating music is infringing on someone else's rights. people have the right to die. and helping them does not infringe on their rights. notice its "assisted suicide" not homocide.

It is still illegal, just like pirating.

It is still illegal' date=' just like pirating. [/quote']

no one is arguing that....

if you are judging the morality or "righteousness" of something solely because it is illegal, then all i can say is I'm sorry.

no one is arguing that....

if you are judging the morality or "righteousness" of something solely because it is illegal' date=' then all i can say is I'm sorry.[/quote']

No, if we are against pirating because it is illegal, why is assisted suicide ok?

No' date=' if we are against pirating because it is illegal, why is assisted suicide ok?[/quote']

and i will say it once more....pirating infringes on someone's rights (the artist). assisted suicide does not assuming that one recognizes a person's right to die with dignity and free of suffering.

I agree, assisted suicide should be legal, but careful regulations should exist to protect practitioners from civil suits for their assistance in a suicide, and protect people who might would be the victim of a non consensual assisted suicide.

Archived