Gibson Brands Forums

"Crazy"

BluesKing777

Thanks Em7!

I have played the guitar for 3 or 4 half hour to an hour ‘sittings’ since making the recording above.

Somewhere in there, the guitar just kicked in! Glue dried? New strings dulled? Whatever it is, I can now really dig in, for lack of better words.

So now we have a nice setup, nice new bone parts, but on a guitar that is 18 years old and just sings!

(and the Baggs Anthem pickup (not used in the recording, just a mic) sounded terrific when I plugged and played in various devices last night!)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks!

Yeah, more balanced than some, probably what grabbed me. I don’t want a booming bass when fingerpicking... though the guitar has changed sounds since I did the recording above. It is a lot fuller!

Anyway, I have worn the guitar out already and the strings are broken in and my thumb is sore, and.....

BluesKing777.

I saw the nice pictures in your other thread. It sounds just as nice as it looks. You shouldn't have faded the song at the end. It sounded good!

Lars

By the way, I'm trying to learn to fingerpick better. You don't happen to know a good resource for learning basic patterns and variations? 

Edited by Lars68

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I saw the nice pictures in your other thread. It sounds just as nice as it looks. You shouldn't have faded the song at the end. It sounded good!

Lars

By the way, I'm trying to learn to fingerpick better. You don't happen to know a good resource for learning basic patterns and variations? 

Thanks Lars68!

I faded the track because  hurried it all in some bits and made clangers - a guy on another forum said I need to learn ‘time’. I might but usually my timing is good but I was just enthusiastic to get a recording of my J50.....

Fingerpicking lessons?

Normally I get asked about Blues fingerpicking and I say Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop - start at the beginning and they have enough stuff to keep you going for about 2000 years. If you want a more ‘general’ lesson in fingerpicking, the very excellent David Hamburger has a lesson book available download online or book form through the Acoustic Guitar Magazine online :

The Acoustic Guitar Fingerstyle Method: Complete Edition .

BluesKing777.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:15 AM, BluesKing777 said:

Somewhere in there, the guitar just kicked in! Glue dried? New strings dulled? Whatever it is, I can now really dig in, for lack of better words.

So now we have a nice setup, nice new bone parts, but on a guitar that is 18 years old and just sings!

Those 18 years didn't disappear in vain - they are heard in the instrument, which seems loose, but still with its core intact - warm, woody even smokey. . 

Keep digging

40 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Those 18 years didn't disappear in vain - they are heard in the instrument, which seems loose, but still with its core intact - warm, woody even smokey. . 

Keep digging

Thanks Em7!

Yes I played it more, the guitar is unrecognisable from the other day, already, and instead of the usual Gibson dread type tunes, I stretched the limits a bit more with some more evocative fingerstyle things I play from the site ‘GuitarNick 100 Fingerstyle Tunes’. These tunes are more suited to a guitar with lots of overtones and fretboard room like a Lowden or my custom Cargill. (GuitarNick plays a nylon string guitar). The standard mod Gibson 1.72 nut is a bit squeezy but a capo on 3 or 4 gives a bit more room across the strings. And the J50 just sings in that position and a couple of the 1st string notes just cry out!  8th fret C in particular - I think that may have been the note I played in the shop that spoke to me and made head turns in the shop! And me buying a ‘junker’! I spent $980 on getting the guitar fixed and I joked to the Boss the other day that I now have a $20,000 guitar! After playing the fingerstyle things before, I told her I have a $40,000 guitar. It is very, very good!

BluesKing777.

22 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Normally I get asked about Blues fingerpicking and I say Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop - start at the beginning and they have enough stuff to keep you going for about 2000 years. If you want a more ‘general’ lesson in fingerpicking, the very excellent David Hamburger has a lesson book available download online or book form through the Acoustic Guitar Magazine online :

The Acoustic Guitar Fingerstyle Method: Complete Edition .

BluesKing777.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Lars

Thanks Sal!

There will probably be no guitar playing today as the (insurance co.) contractors are coming to replace the carbonate roof on my verandah that got damaged in a huge hail storm in early January. Delayed by the virus lockdown....

They will probably get loud.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Replying to my own thread!

I will you tell you about the J50 amplified and then I will leave it alone.

So plugged in we now have 2 choices I like.......the Baggs Anthem with the TruMic on full is great for my fingerstyle - it sounds very ‘close’.

And the reason I wanted the full Anthem system is that you can completely turn the mic section off and run just the undersaddle section to my Tonedexter!   Or my Aura box..... Made a Tonedexter wavefile using my old, old, old Shure SM57 which I used live in about 1982. The Better Half bought it for me, must have been bust! Even though the Tonedexter people recommend using a high quality condenser mic, I have used the 57 for so many years that I know the sound. And the sound I have got with the 57, the J50 and Tonedexter is fabulous.......sounds like recording the guitar ‘live’. The guitar sounds further away than the Anthem sound, if that makes sense.

So we are dressed up with nowhere to go! (even though the Anthem is known for not feeding back much with its electronic heart crossing the nasty bits out, the Tonedexter has a DI, tone controls, gain control and the biggie for feedback - notch filter. Blues Club and open mic are in lockdown, my friend with the huge PA system is coughing and spluttering so we can’t go there to blast the pickup out! Patience....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

8 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

As always I love it..good stuff BK  Thanks

Thanks KC!

I have to play another guitar - the J50 had to go back to the luthier to get the pickup tweaked - not much volume. The setup of the guitar was fabulous though and although he said it would be back the next day, it isn’t! And now it is the weekend with no J50.

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

It isn’t so bad.....😃, I did my Saturday morning practice x2 on my OM18 Authentic, tough eh?

Then in the afternoon, I dragged out the pawn shop 2005 Dove to do something I have meant to do - compare its Anthem pickup with mic off, running through my old Aura Spectrum box and then my Tonedexter.

Tonedexter wins!

BluesKing777.