Gibson Brands Forums

Jinder!!! Come hold my hand!!!

Cabarone

I'm pulling the trigger on a new Hummingbird (Limited Edition)12 string our local GC has marked down to $1800 (normally $2600)...I "window shop" their website about once a week and been looking at it for some time now...when I called them they said that one had actually sold earlier in the day, but they had a new one just hung out they'd let me have for the same price...

So, J, I know you've got one...tell me to stop fretting (no pun intended), okay?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Congrats!  Is this going to be the replacement for your  B45-12? 

That was my guess as well. It sounds like a good replacement at a good price.

Sort of a modern equivalent of the B-45 12 square dread.

15 hours ago, Cabarone said:

I'm pulling the trigger on a new Hummingbird (Limited Edition)12 string our local GC has marked down to $1800 (normally $2600)...I "window shop" their website about once a week and been looking at it for some time now...when I called them they said that one had actually sold earlier in the day, but they had a new one just hung out they'd let me have for the same price...

So, J, I know you've got one...tell me to stop fretting (no pun intended), okay?

Is this the one?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Hummingbird-Pro-Limited-Edition-12-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

That's the one. I didn't get it. I'm working midnight shift and every extra shift I can to get out of debt. I pulled in GC's parking lot and guilt/responsibility took over and I left. Mr. Woof, I still have the B45 if you're ever interested... my hands are just too small to do it justice...

• Like 1

Damn, I was too late!!

For what it's worth, my Hummingbird 12 is one of the best investments I've ever made. It's been on almost everything I've recorded since I got it, and adds so much breadth and texture, even if waaay down in the mix, it plays like butter, sounds great live with the K&K pickup in it and has given me some great songs. 

I wrote this one with it in the bathroom at a house gig whilst looking for a quiet place to tune up...I recorded it with my producer Pete two days later, our chum Jim Hoke did the horns and Greg Bishop did the drums, and a couple of months later it was in the download charts here in the UK!

This is the power of the Hummingbird 12 string...of course I don't at all think you should head straight back there and buy it, I'd never suggest THAT 🙊

If you do get the itch again note that the Pro series are GC exclusives. They are nice guitars but usually do not have anything in common with their namesake.  They usually don’t hold their value very well. 
The one you’re looking at has a 25.5” scale length. The standard hummingbird has a 24.75”. 
the aesthetics differences are obvious. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dave F said:

If you do get the itch again note that the Pro series are GC exclusives. They are nice guitars but usually do not have anything in common with their namesake.  They usually don’t hold their value very well. 
The one you’re looking at has a 25.5” scale length. The standard hummingbird has a 24.75”. 
the aesthetics differences are obvious. 

Is the Hummingbird pro the same body plan as the Songwriter, rather than that of the traditional Hummingbird?

Where were you Jinder?

Now he has gone home empty-handed! 😁

Speaking of matters in the 12 strings area - 2 items of interest.........

1. The newer Taylor 12 stringers have only a  6 pin bridge! 2 strings in each pin - the V Class bracing also removes the boing sounds and gets a clean 12.:

2.  Here is John Butler playing his old Maton 12 string with top that looks like fossilized driftwood! He takes one of the G strings right off - including removing the tuning machine!:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

16 hours ago, Cabarone said:

Okay, I cracked...just got back from picking it up...to quote Hoyt Axton, "I know it's wrong, but I'm weak"...

This is the news we all wanted to hear! Congrats, Cabs. You'll love it. We've all been there regard to having to make a tricky financial call on buying gear, but if you can make a dream guitar happen without getting in a fix that you can't get out of, I have always been an advocate of going for the soul food 🙂