Gibson Brands Forums

Vol - Tone Settings?

Thundergod

I haven't been able to play much lately but today I grabbed her, played a little clean stuff... then turned on the high gain pedal... the guitar's tone is great with everything at 10.

I have been playing a little with the controls though, and have found that this particular guitar (lp std. faded) sounds amazing when playing her with both vol knobs at 2 and both tone knobs at 10; with high gain you get a really nice crunch that you can take over the top by just increasing the volume a little.

So, what are your preffered settings guys? (both for clean and crunch).

OLD SCHOOL GIBSON GUITAR TRICKS

===================

These were the sonic tricks I learned I could do on any stock Gibson Guitar with two pickups, and independent 500K audio taper volume pots and 500k audio taper tone pots (with .022uF tone caps) for each pickup and a good Tube Amp.

All setting below subject to personal style - Adjust to taste! :

Amp: Marshall 50 Watt plexi head with EL34s Output Tubes, and 4 x 12 cab, or Vox Ac30 Top Boost, or Ampeg VT40, or Fender Bassman. or your favorite boutique tube amp?

Guitar: Les Paul

Typical Rock Trio

============

CONTROLS:

Bridge Vol: 10

Bridge Tone: 10

Neck Vol: 3

Neck Tone: 10

Operation: This one is ideal if you are the also the singer - Control all dynamics using just the PU selector switch - down for Bridge PU selection during solos, Middle position for both PUs for a lower volume "crunch" during vocals.

With both PUs on, The Neck volume control on "3" "loads" the Bridge PU signal down. Yet the sound emerging from the guitar still sounds like the bridge PU with crunch, at low volume. Provides dynamics, and turning down during vocals is usually a good idea!

Fake machine gun (Steve Stevens / Billy Idol "Rebel Rell")

============

CONTROLS:

Neck Vol: 0

Neck Tone: na

Operation: Play solo on Bridge PU, then hold a sustaining note , while flipping the PU selector switch up and down very fast -creates staccato machine gun effect.

Fake Wah Wah

============

CONTROLS:

Neck Vol: 10

Neck Tone 0

Operation: Perform Hammer -ons, while toggling the PU selector switch up and down- creates a wah-wah type sound.

Fake Violin

============

CONTROLS:

Bridge Tone: 7

Neck Vol: 0

Neck Tone 7

Operation: Select Both PUs, Perform Hammer -ons, and really work the Neck Volume control "on" and "off" for each note - creates a violin type sound.

Clapton "Woman Tone"

============

CONTROLS:

Bridge Vol: n/a

Bridge Tone: n/a

Neck Vol: 10

Neck Tone: 0-2 (adjust to taste)

Operation: Play on the Neck PU only - and with the tone control rolled down to "0-2" feeding a loud tube amp (Marshall) this recreates the Clapton tone on Cream's "Spoonful" - *** can use Bridge PU with Tone on "0-2" as well.

1972 Jeff Beck Group LP Tone

============

CONTROLS:

Bridge Vol: 7

Bridge Tone: 4(adjust to taste)

Neck Vol: 7

Neck Tone: 4 (adjust to taste)

Operation: Set up your amp with a lot of Gain and a lot of treble, and / or use a Treble booster pedal (Rangemaster) feeding a loud tube amp. Back off the volume controls for dynamics during vocals, but never turn the guitar up beyond "7" during solos, and tame the ear bleed by keeping the guitar tone controls below "4" - this gives you a lot of picking sensitivity, light touch = clean, dig in and play harder = dirt / sustain.

I leave my amps set and do everything with the volume and tone knobs.

For rhythm playing, I generally use the middle position (both pups) with the following:

Neck Pup - Volume 7 / Tone 7

Bridge Pup - Volume 10 / Tone 7

Sometimes I'll play rhythm with just the bridge pup with the following (primarily if playing something heavier like metal):

Bridge Pup - Volume 10 / Tone 7

For leads/solos, I switch to either the bridge or neck pup exclusively with the following:

Neck Pup (if chosen) - Volume 10 / Tone 7

Bridge Pup (if chosen) - Volume 10 / Tone 7

For clean playing, I pretty much only use the neck pup, and do so with the following:

Neck Pup - Volume around 2-4 / Tone 7

There are other settings I'll use from time to time, like the "woman tone" (either on neck or bridge or both), but what I have above are my general settings.

Archived