Gibson Brands Forums

White Collar Fakes??

mihcmac

I thought Gibson, when they made the now famous Mark A. video were suing anyone they could with their big team of lawyers, everyone that even makes guitar that had strings on them cause Gibson guitars have strings too.

Yes it is wrong for anyone to put Gibson's name on the head of a fake and try to pass it of as the real deal. But like the ATF debacle, Gibson making $ off of a fake and selling as their own is wrong as well, especially when they know it, and make such a stink about suing everyone for the exact same thing.

So chime in and start defending Gibson cause its coming.

But like the guy said Derrig and Slash made Gibson boatloads of $ and probably saved the company. Is Gibson mad at Slash or suing him? No, he is in cahoots with them and has only had about 20 different signature models of Gibson's since then. Total hypocrites.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

meh.  Gibson probably considers "replica" Les Pauls reasonable competition called "replica" for a reason.  If someone with 12k to burn on a Les Paul doesn't buy a Gibson, what are they going to do?  Make a Dimebag Darrel Signature Les Paul HPJCMPlusJunior and hope they can get that money?  They already lost the money from someone who could easily buy theirs.  The junky imported fakes are 5, 600 bucks they could have gotten so of course they aren't happy.

There are more than a few big names now that made nothing but "replica"s of Strats and Teles for years, decades even.  Fender didn't mind that so much either.

Each to his own I guess.

rct

8 minutes ago, rct said:

meh.  Gibson probably considers "replica" Les Pauls reasonable competition called "replica" for a reason.  If someone with 12k to burn on a Les Paul doesn't buy a Gibson, what are they going to do?  Make a Dimebag Darrel Signature Les Paul HPJCMPlusJunior and hope they can get that money?  They already lost the money from someone who could easily buy theirs.  The junky imported fakes are 5, 600 bucks they could have gotten so of course they aren't happy.

There are more than a few big names now that made nothing but "replica"s of Strats and Teles for years, decades even.  Fender didn't mind that so much either.

Each to his own I guess.

rct

Fender licenses their exact replicac's for Warmoth to build. Fender gets paid, Warmoth gets paid. That's a smart company.

And Warmoth's  s-hit is tight.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've built a total Warmoth Jazzmaster and used Warmoth Strat and Tele and one J bass neck. Quality is first rate. They spray poly on there body's so the nitro heads beware.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, mihcmac said:

So... Slash's main guitar was a Master Luther built custom fake 59 Burst with a 60's neck, that was acquired for him because his real Gibson was having unsolvable problems.... Then in 2010 Gibson copied his fake and released the Slash signature model.. According to the video...

Maybe not his main guitar now, but the one heard on AFD yes. The Slash guitar made by Derrig is old news. I heard about it ages ago.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes very much so. I'm getting out my cool leather jacket, Chuck Taylor's and Firebird t-shirt to wear today. Then I'm suing everybody.

Easy on the Chuck Taylors. I’m still wearing  em, Black High Tops,  and have been the last 50 years. Lol

2 hours ago, labomba said:

Easy on the Chuck Taylors. I’m still wearing  em, Black High Tops,  and have been the last 50 years. Lol

Love mine I got highs and lows. It's Mark A. who makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Hows SC I'm back in VA. It's hot and humid and poured yesterday.

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love mine I got highs and lows. It's Mark A. who makes me throw up in my mouth a little. Hows SC I'm back in VA. It's hot and humid and poured yesterday.

Yeah he’s a character lol. Been hot here too.  Sux here they opened everything up last week and Memorial Day weekend was packed. Everyone acting like it’s another day at the beach nobody doing masks or distancing while covid positives been going up daily. We’ll have to wait and see what it’s going to be like next week. 

Edited by labomba

43 minutes ago, labomba said:

Yeah he’s a character lol. Been hot here too.  Sux here they opened everything up last week and Memorial Day weekend was packed. Everyone acting like it’s another day at the beach nobody doing masks or distancing while covid positives been going up daily. We’ll have to wait and see what it’s going to be like next week. 

I left a week after the beaches opened. Dam snowbirds.