Gibson Brands Forums

Pre-NGD

Sgt. Pepper

I mentioned the other day I was going to get a D-18 when I got back from Mobile. I got back yesterday and I have a work telemeeting  at 9:30 and it should last about an hour. The guitar shop I go to opens at 10:00. After my meeting and if its still there I'm buying it. Its new. I didn't check the serial number when I was there so I'm not sure if its a '19 or '20.

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

I mentioned the other day I was going to get a D-18 when I got back from Mobile. I got back yesterday and I have a work telemeeting  at 9:30 and it should last about an hour. The guitar shop I go to opens at 10:00. After my meeting and if its still there I'm buying it. Its new. I didn't check the serial number when I was there so I'm not sure if its a '19 or '20.

good luck!  we'll of course need pictures... 🙂

Wow that's going to be a great day!  Congratulations!

I'da fukked that meeting off though.  At least I think I would have, it's been a while and the memory of work is fading.

rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

Wow that's going to be a great day!  Congratulations!

I'da fukked that meeting off though.  At least I think I would have, it's been a while and the memory of work is fading.

rct

I'd like to but they, NASA/Jacobs, strokes my paychecks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

57 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Do you use Martin strings?  I tried them and liked them just as much as D'Addario (my go-to). 

Yes I use Martin strings. I just slapped some D'adarrios on right now. The last time I went to the store they were out of all Martins in my gauge 11-52.

9 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I think it wants a set of fancy Martin bridge pins with abalone:

GA50MPS.jpg

I know. I always buy ebony pins for my guitars. I'm gonna go to Reverb later and order a set. My D-15M came with ebony. D-18, plastic. Fail Martin Fail. I guess its tradition or something.

5 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

That's a proper one alright. 👌 👍 Great score!

I wish you could post the sound of it too. [drool]

My first one sounded killer. I am letting the strings stretch. I'll set it up this weekend as Martins come with sky high action. In about 5 min I'll take it in for a neck reset and wait for the binding to come loose.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

My Martin is 23 years old.  I have worn a gloss finish onto the matte top in some areas. 

IMG-20200611-141942.jpg

Looks like a 00 or 000-28. The one I own has a black pickguard. I do not like tortoise, the 41, 18 , 15M, and 12'erall have them,  but I'm over it now.

17 minutes ago, Filbert said:

I love my Martins, I have a D28, a D45 and a 000-15m, all have a unique voice and sound. Yes, I love my Gibsons but my Martins are still my 'go to' acoustics.

A 45 your running with the big dogs, not sitting at home on the porch and p-issing with the puppies. Yeah none of those sound alike. I have owned a 35, it had to go well to fund  the 41. Miss the 28 and 35. Maybe one day I'll get a 35 again or a 28 or both.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah none of those sound alike. I have owned a 35 as to go well, but it need to fund  the 41. Miss the 28 and 35. Maybe one day I'll get a 35 again or a 28 or both.

A bloke down the pub where I used to go once a week to play folk songs owns a D35 from the '70's and it sounds great. All my Martins are new (or a couple of years old at most) so haven't really opened up fully yet. I can't wait to hear them once they have aged a little. Actually, come to think of it, same goes for my Gibsons. The only really, truly old guitar I have is my 1939 L30 and that needed a fair bit of TLC from the luthier to get it back to it's best. Sounds awesome now though.

16 hours ago, Filbert said:

A bloke down the pub where I used to go once a week to play folk songs owns a D35 from the '70's and it sounds great. All my Martins are new (or a couple of years old at most) so haven't really opened up fully yet. I can't wait to hear them once they have aged a little. Actually, come to think of it, same goes for my Gibsons. The only really, truly old guitar I have is my 1939 L30 and that needed a fair bit of TLC from the luthier to get it back to it's best. Sounds awesome now though.

My 000-28 is a '13, 15M is a'17, J12-16GT is a '91 and the 41 and 18 are '19's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper