Gibson Brands Forums

Unorthodox guitar mods.

btoth76

Hello.

Who else did/does uncommon modifications to his/her guitars? 

I bought this Deluxe Player Plus, - and one day - decided to replace its bridge pickup with a Fender Texas Special I had laying around.

LPDeluxe.jpg

• Like 1

I changed out humbuckers on this Squier Esprit for Fender spec single coils I had made by the Creamery (they are in a humbucker housings). I was trying to see how close I could get to a Fender sound in this Gibson style build.

It didnt get me very close at all, but they do sound good, and better than the Duncan designed originals.

before

3jTM3pi.jpg

and after

w17D4R9.jpg

ena0pId.jpg

• Like 2

Surprisingly, it doesn't sounds like a Fender pickup in my guitar either. I removed it from a Strat because it sounded weak. However, in the Les Paul it sounds very raw and edgy. I like it. 

Bence.

• Like 1

Its also very interesting that It sounds better in the LP. Good result! Its good to experiment.

Yes, it taught me that the design/build is more important to the sound than I had expected. We see humbuckers in Fender builds, and they still sound Fender-like.

• Thanks 1

Wanting to install a tremolo on my Blueshawk presented a problem that I couldn't find a bridge that would. go low enough to replace the stock saddle bridge.

So I modified the saddle bridge by drilling new holes below the saddle screw holes and moved the saddle screws down to them.

This allowed me to pass the strings over the top of the saddles and go through the original saddle screw holes and reach the tremolo.

On a Blueshawk the strings normally go through the saddles and out the back of the guitar.

This arrangement works very well..

nq9GGjM.jpg

This is a Duesenberg Short similar to a B5 but with more range and a an adjustable  dive bar..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 2

Hi Bence, yeah I also changed the bridge pick up on my main guitar which was a Strat style setup from the fairly feeble single coil to a DiMarzio X2N - basically the biggest, baddest ceramic humbucker out there! (Then changed the pots cos it sounded like mud [laugh]...and the it was awesome). Works like a charm for what I do with the band.

why....just cos that's what Fast Eddie Clarke (RIP) did back in the day! [thumbup]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hey Bence!  how ya been?

some of you guys are more adventurous than I.  I once put a Kahler Trem on an Ibanez Musician (MC400)  it was the 80s..  I was young and foolish,  and I really messed up a nice guitar.

That was my last foray in to the great unknown mod world..   I don't mind changing out pickups, but I usually go with different kinds of what it is already routed, or set for.

I am surprised you found a bridge texas special week.  I have a set in one of my strats,  the bridge pickup will take ones head off if you're not careful with the high end eq'ing.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Hello Ray!

I replaced the Texas Special with a Planet Tone DG pickup in my Strat. It's a 13K pickup that sounds incredible for leads. It is better for Gary Moore-ish singing solos. 🙂

Bence.

Edited by btoth76
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, btoth76 said:

Hello Ray!

I replaced the Texas Special with a Planet Tone DG pickup in my Strat. It's a 13K pickup that sounds incredible for leads. It is better for Gary Moore-ish singing solos. 🙂

Bence.

I thought my Slick Alnico II P90 bridge pickup was hot at 9.6k, but 13k I can't imagine..

Hallowed be Thy name......

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I thought my Slick Alnico II P90 bridge pickup was hot at 9.6k, but 13k I can't imagine..

hmm, I just looked up the X2N I'm using and apparently it's 15.8k (gulp) 

hey, the great thing is if I ever need to back off volume I just flick the pickup selector switch and get instant half volume and cleaned up!  [laugh]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

hmm, I just looked up the X2N I'm using and apparently it's 15.8k (gulp) 

hey, the great thing is if I ever need to back off volume I just flick the pickup selector switch and get instant half volume and cleaned up!  [laugh]

Thats pretty hot for a double coil...

29 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Thats pretty hot for a double coil...

Its weird, my old 69 Epiphone solid body has one of 60's Epi mini's in it from a Crestwood/Wilshire I guess and it has such a hot treble bite that's it would strip paint! I used it in the old covers band and it worked a treat against the other guitarist's Strat - it just cut through superbly for some icy jangle behind the smooth Fender'y goodness.

19 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Its weird, my old 69 Epiphone solid body has one of 60's Epi mini's in it from a Crestwood/Wilshire I guess and it has such a hot treble bite that's it would strip paint! I used it in the old covers band and it worked a treat against the other guitarist's Strat - it just cut through superbly for some icy jangle behind the smooth Fender'y goodness.

Probably perfect for the Immigrant Song..   🙂

I got this G400 in stock form from a local store for $200 and was amazed at how well it played. So I had to upgrade it with humbucker sized GFS Mean 90's, a Duesenberg Les Trem II and a TOM Roller Bridge. It is one of my goto guitars. Is it unorthodox to add $200 in parts to a $200 guitar?

7ZezNUL.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1