Gibson Brands Forums

Smashed or Sober?

jimmiJAMM

Which brings out your best artistic, expressionistic, bombastic, intensified performance ? Some rockers have sobered up and I wonder if their art suffers or is enhannced by doing so. Even the clean cut Beatles were on speed, etc. during their early performances in Germany way back in the day. The members of Pink Floyd say they didn't do drugs (which I find extremely hard to believe). I wonder if Garcia was stoned? Jimi used to drop acid before most shows and he played like hell. Personally, I enjoy jammin' both ways but I feel like I play with more unbridled ferocity under the influence of one thing or another but maybe I just think I do... 'cause I'm wasted.

Although I still don't consider myself a guitarist/musician, but somewhat of a "learner", I find that I get better on my improvisations or some song I'm trying to learn when I'm in an emotionally bad place or something. Maybe that's because I try to find a way to preoccupy myself so that I won't think of the thing that's bothering me and so I have all my attention focused on playing guitar. I definitively can't play well when I've had a couple of drinks since I'm not really an "alcohol person", and I get tipsy pretty easily. The perfect combo for me is ice coffee and cigarettes. And definitively no other "substances" (ye know what I mean).

Interesting thought Neogeo. I used to love the Black Crowes. Their early work was soulful, bluesy and at times raw. The lyrics, almost exclusively by their singer, were at times deep. I LOVED Amorica. At the time they were all hopped up on coke and other assorted chemicals. They all got clean, and haven't put out an album nearly as full of feeling as Amorica.

I've often joked that I wishe they'd all fall off the wagon so their music will be worth a darn again.

So, to answer your question directly. I feel that the struggle to overcome an addiction, or just the darkness that naturally comes along with any addiction, can cause an artist to create a more artful product. Think about it, internal conflict can create some great art as the artist channels all that emotion.

Everything is better with booze/drugs!!!

tell that to all the families who have lost people to booze/drugs.

i feel that the edge was lost not because they are sobered up now but becuase they have grown old

time is a funny thing and can change a person more then they would like to admit

and as for the musicians today i feel there is so many other variables to consider when comparing their music that nothing can be boiled down to a simple 'influenced or not' question, it may have for sure had an effect on the way people preform and write songs but i don't believe it has caused a negative influence in anyway

tell that to all the families who have lost people to booze/drugs.

i feel that the edge was lost not because they are sobered up now but becuase they have grown old

time is a funny thing and can change a person more then they would like to admit

and as for the musicians today i feel there is so many other variables to consider when comparing their music that nothing can be boiled down to a simple 'influenced or not' question' date=' it may have for sure had an effect on the way people preform and write songs but i don't believe it has caused a negative influence in anyway

[/quote']

How about the millions that use alcohol/drugs and don't ruin their lives?

Alcohol/drugs are addictive and create mental and physical problems. I agree that they can sometimes enhance creativity, but there's always a price to pay. If I repaired a guitar after a drink, I'm sure I'd think it was great work. In reality it would be a mess. And my guitar playing is messy enough already, so I won't be going there...

Make someone listen to their SMASHED performance once while SOBER and their embarrassment will make 'em quit drinking altogether...lol

I've done it to a couple of people who "play better" or are "more inspired" while under some kind of influence. That claim changes after a half a song or so. Like letting someone hear a Grateful Dead live bootleg when they're not stoned...suddenly the "magic" is gone and you hear how friggin' godawful it really is.

I save the drinking for after the show personally. I have a hard enough time keeping my sh!t together when sober. At least I can admit that, but most people can't. [-o<

H-Bomb

I gig bars 45/50 weekends a year. And I have for decades.

I like beer, but I HAVE to drive home.

Here's my plan........

I weigh about 205 pounds.

If "SHOWTIME" is 9:00 pm. I have to be there at about 7:00pm.

At about 8:00pm I'll get a beer. My Boogie is ready, I'm hooking cords, the Sound guys are doing whatever they do, I'm kidding, it's Butch.....

I drink 3 (three) beers before showtime. I have a beer on my Boogie. It's in the Avatar.

After the first set, I'll get 2 more beers. One goes on the amp. I drink the other during the break.

At the end of the second set, I get 2 more. One goes on the amp. The other I drink, during the break.

At this point, I'm done.

I drink Cokes the rest of the night.

I can do the load out, drive home legal, ect.

I can drink 7 beers in 7/8 hours legally, be sober, and not hit on anybodys wife.

It's simple math.

Murph.

pot is great, at all times,

ill drink a beer or 2 before i play, whiskey slows me down too much unless its jameson

shrooms are cool when its just the band

as far as LSD goes, ive seen some dudes tear it up trippin nuts, i havent dosed and played yet, but i will

pot is great' date=' at all times,

ill drink a beer or 2 before i play, whiskey slows me down too much unless its jameson

shrooms are cool when its just the band

as far as LSD goes, ive seen some dudes tear it up trippin nuts, i havent dosed and played yet, but i will[/quote']

Delete my last post......

Whatever it was.

Murph....

Sheeze..............

like i said earlier to each his own but ive recorded myself drunk and sober and its ridiculous how terrible the intoxicated version of the song was.

my friends still play it every time i see them just because they find it hilarious, which i will admit it is hilarious, because its so bad. which is why i will leave the drinking for nights when i dont have to play and dont need to worry about putting on a good show. its hard enough sober to please a crowd of people!

Which brings out your best artistic' date=' expressionistic, bombastic, intensified performance ? Some rockers have sobered up and I wonder if their art suffers or is enhannced by doing so. Even the clean cut Beatles were on speed, etc. during their early performances in Germany way back in the day. The members of Pink Floyd say they didn't do drugs (which I find extremely hard to believe). I wonder if Garcia was stoned? Jimi used to drop acid before most shows and he played like hell. Personally, I enjoy jammin' both ways but I feel like I play with more unbridled ferocity under the influence of one thing or another but maybe I just think I do... 'cause I'm wasted.[/quote']

Well, The Beatles were on "speed" to stay awake, during their 8-12 hour Hamburg gigs! They were, often, quite

drunk, too. And, they themselves, said that (later) in the studio, whenever they did "drugs" and then

listened to the results of their recordings, they always re-recorded them, sober! Some musicians start

out with a "nip" or smoke, to "relax" or combat stage fright. I've never witnessed a performance from

a "drunk or stoned" player/artist, that was anything but marginal, at best. And certainly not up to what

they could do, sober. Not saying "moderation" to relax is bad...but, that's the key point (IMHO)...."moderation!"

I've lost good friends, to both alcohol and drug dependence/addiction. It was never "cool!"

CB

Not saying "moderation" to relax is bad...but' date=' that's the key point (IMHO)...."moderation!"

I've lost good friends, to both alcohol and drug dependence/addiction. It was never "cool!"

[/quote']

Amen!!!

This is obviously a very serious subject as too many musicians to name have lost their lives to substance abuse. I guess the difference between use and abuse can be the difference between life and death. I couldn't agree more that moderation is absolutely key. The things is, it's not always that easy for some. I'm not exactly Sid Vicious nor am I a choir boy. Just thought this would be an interesting topic considering the world famous mantra, Sex, Drugs & Rock-n-Roll! Obviously no one wants to watch some drunken fool drool and slobber all over the stage (Unless you're Jim Morrison and even then I'm sure the crowds got fed up on occasion). Sometimes a few beers, a puff or two can put you in a groove and you can really jam out.

I listen to NPR all day (wnyc.org) at work. The programing is top notch and I learn about all kinds of crazy $hit. I'm a Sr. Designer for an Ad Agency and for some reason talk radio is less of a distraction than music. Not sure whay but I think most people think I'm blasting tunes all day. Does that make me a closet nerd or an inquisitive rocker? ;)

Archived