Gibson Brands Forums

New Tramp Day

Sgt. Pepper

Not a huge buyer of CD's but if something interestong comes around I will get it. It has a DVD (with I think the night filmed is a different night than the songs that are original live album), and two CD with I guess from a whole concert from the 4  or 5 days of shows they did. 5 of the songs on the DVD has sound or film track issues, which are the bonus tracks.

U3AHEdk.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

FZF - it's the strange thing about musical taste...I mean we both enjoy Beefheart right?....but if there is a 24 hour a day background soundtrack played in Hell then I am quietly confident it would be Supertramp. Sh!t just typing the name of the band makes me hear that voice...I don't even know what instruments they play....I can't get past that voice. I better go do a few good deeds now just in case.

2 hours ago, 'Scales said:

FZF - it's the strange thing about musical taste...I mean we both enjoy Beefheart right?....but if there is a 24 hour a day background soundtrack played in Hell then I am quietly confident it would be Supertramp. Sh!t just typing the name of the band makes me hear that voice...I don't even know what instruments they play....I can't get past that voice. I better go do a few good deeds now just in case.

Two different guys sing in the band. I know people love to hate Tramp. I started listening to them in '79.

I've heard a snippet of one song, and I liked it. They've been on my bucket list for 20 years now... If you say people love to hate them, they're probably for me. 

People hate the so-called "overproduced" Ramones stuff, for instance. (Psst - it's their best.) 

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

I've heard a snippet of one song, and I liked it. They've been on my bucket list for 20 years now... If you say people love to hate them, they're probably for me. 

People hate the so-called "overproduced" Ramones stuff, for instance. (Psst - it's their best.) 

Someone produced a Ramones album.  Its like Motorhead, all you need is one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Someone produced a Ramones album.  Its like Motorhead, all you need is one.

Nope. Ramones albums do not sound all the same. The first album is quite different from the rest.  So are Pleasant Dreams and End of the Century. 

Pinch knows what I'm talking about. 

And BTW Pinch, except for their debut,. I agree with you about the overproduced albums. Pleasant Dreams is one of my favorites. 

17 hours ago, 'Scales said:

That first song who the f-uk told Lemmy that sounded anywhere near good.  A song that slow does not suit his voice. The second is almost any Motorhead song on any album.  I like both bands but can only take them is small doses.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:11 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Two different guys sing in the band. I know people love to hate Tramp. I started listening to them in '79.

Good call.  Supertramp is awesome -- so good.  Crime of the Century is one of the best albums ever recorded.  The thing is that many of the people that don't like Supertramp don't realize that  they are one of few bands where their deeper tracks are MUCH better than many of the hits that they know.

When Roger Hodgson left the band, he released In The Eye of the Storm  at the same time Supertramp released Brother, Where You Bound?    In my iTunes, I combined an interweaving of the  the best  from both of those albums to create the version of  Brother, Where You Bound?  that (in my mind anyway) would have been if Roger stayed in the band.  To me, that is Supertramp's second  best album behind Crime.   It is a travesty (unfortunately in a long line of travesties) that Supertramp is not in the RRHoF.  

23 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Good call.  Supertramp is awesome -- so good.  Crime of the Century is one of the best albums ever recorded.  The thing is that many of the people that don't like Supertramp don't realize that  they are one of few bands where their deeper tracks are MUCH better than many of the hits that they know.

When Roger Hodgson left the band, he released In The Eye of the Storm  at the same time Supertramp released Brother, Where You Bound?    In my iTunes, I combined an interweaving of the  the best  from both of those albums to create the version of  Brother, Where You Bound?  that (in my mind anyway) would have been if Roger stayed in the band.  To me, that is Supertramp's second  best album behind Crime.   It is a travesty (unfortunately in a long line of travesties) that Supertramp is not in the RRHoF.  

Crime is my fav. I have a Japanese vinyl copy of it and Breakfast.  Quietest and Breakfast are great too. And Crisis is forgotten about, but also very good. 4 really good albums in a row. I haven't heard Roger's first solo album in forever. Famous Last Words was just them going through the motions. I have it but have listened to it maybe 5 times.

What's she got - not a lot

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

... Quietest and Breakfast are great too. And Crisis is forgotten about, but also very good. 4 really good albums in a row. I haven't heard Roger's first solo album in forever. Famous Last Words was just them going through the motions. I have it but have listened to it maybe 5 times.

What's she got - not a lot

You said "four really good albums in a row".  Wow, so true ... For Famous Last Words, the "Don't Leave Me Now" track hits so emotionally as an eloquent 6-minute  work  left as the very last track on the album documenting the sad demise of the band.  That is some very powerful stuff.   "Crazy" is very good too.  

17 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

You said "four really good albums in a row".  Wow, so true ... For Famous Last Words, the "Don't Leave Me Now" track hits so emotionally as an eloquent 6-minute  work  left as the very last track on the album documenting the sad demise of the band.  That is some very powerful stuff.   "Crazy" is very good too.  

I just remember that sad and droll MTV video for It's Raining Again.  As I recall there was a lot of rain in the video.