Gibson Brands Forums

2019 vs. 2020 SG Standard

sonvolt

Hi guys,

I have an option of buying either a new 2019 SG Standard Ebony at a slightly reduced price or a 2020 model for a bit more. The specs say the 2019 has a "slim taper" neck and the 2020 a "rounded" neck. Has anyone had hands on both and can you confirm there's a noticeable difference in profile? 

Other than that, any real differences between the 2019/2020 models? I note 2019 has a Tektoid nut whilst 2020 has GraphTech. 

Thanks,
DeWayne

these are links to compare details. There are a few 'Standard' SGs presently. I'm guessing its not a custom shop so I've added two likely alternatives. Pick ups are different on the '61 SG

Standard 2019

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/SG-Standard-2019.aspx

modern standard (2020)

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA8LG109/SG-Standard/Ebony

standard ’61 (2020)

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USAEDH414/SG-Standard-61/Vintage-Cherry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sunvolt, I have a 2019 SG with slim taper neck and it's a delight to play.  I also have a Es335 copy, but same specs as a Gibson ...... It has a more rounded and slightly thicker neck but still great to play......at the end of the day the decision is up to you what neck feels better.....as with the nuts , it says mine is a tektoid  nut, seems ok, my SG stays in tune . Play both guitars  and pick what's comfortable for you and which sounds better....you can't go wrong.....it's a Gibson.....

• Like 1

Both guitars have the 490 pickups , large batwing pickguard, and come with a gig bag .  The current  2020 "Standard 61" seems just like the 2018 SG Standard with 61 pickups, small pickguard  w/ pickup rings, and also comes with a HSC.  If it were me (and it isn't ...), I would seriously consider getting a nice condition used 2018 SG Standard for (going price) around $1100 because of the pickup difference, the small pickguard, and the case.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/2018-SG-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

I picked up a 2020 open box Modern Standard because I wanted the rounded neck.

It still feels pretty slim to me.  It's not a 50s Les Paul neck or anything like that.

I believe it was $1100 and comes with that Gibson Golf Bag instead of a hardshell case.  

• 2 months later...

No, an SG standard from 2018 is not anything close to a 2019-2020 SG 61. I’ve owned one. 1. They have white binding, not cream. There is also more plastic in the binding than the latter. The pickups are the “same”, but to me they didn’t sound the same. The Slim Taper on the 2018 is slimmer than a 2019-2020 61. The inlays are also different, more white than “aged”. They also have PCB instead of hand wired pots. The body is also a lot thinner for some reason. The 2018 SG standard and the 2019-2020 SG standard (not the 61) share that same body thinness. The 61 honestly feels better, sounds better. The 2019-2020 standard sounds great, but there are things that really bug me about them. More often than not, you’ll find them with 3 piece bodies. It’s not a tonal issue I have, it just seems cheap as hell for a $1500 + tax guitar. The gig bag is actually quite nice and seems like it would protect your guitar pretty well. Also, the neck on a standard vs a 61 standard is much different. The 61 has a very rounded slim taper neck, which feels amazing. It feels natural in your hand. The standard (batwing) has a slim neck and wide shoulders. I’ve gone through 3 and they all pissed me off... they claim it’s rounded, but they feel like flat and wide necks. If there a dude at Gibson making them that way, just stop dude. No one buys a guitar that claims to be rounded, and you sand them to be some crap you personally prefer. I know they do this, because I also work at an instrument factory. Anyhow, my rant is over 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I personally hate slim taper necks on SG's. Not a great combo in my opinion. They've always felt rubbery and were easy to knock out of tune. The chunkier the neck the better on an SG.

Also not a fan of the 490 pickups. Had a 2013 Standard with a slim taper neck and 57 Classics in it. Great sounding guitar, but couldn't bond with the neck and sold it. Later picked up a used but mint 2008 SG Standard that was a VERY nice guitar. Fantastic neck, but those 490 pickups sucked and replaced them (along with the PCB board) with some Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. Took a VERY nice guitar and transformed it into an AMAZING guitar. Most recent acquisition was a 2008 SG Classic with P90's. Absolute favorite SG neck I've ever played and hands down my favorite SG. Loved it so much I sold the 2008 Standard.

I wouldn't use price of either as a factor on whether or not to buy one over the other, especially since you stated the price difference is minimal. I'd go with the one that feels best on your hands. A small savings now will quickly be forgotten down the road. 

Edited by sbpark

• 4 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 4:36 AM, lifetimebob said:

No, an SG standard from 2018 is not anything close to a 2019-2020 SG 61. I’ve owned one. 1. They have white binding, not cream. There is also more plastic in the binding than the latter. The pickups are the “same”, but to me they didn’t sound the same. The Slim Taper on the 2018 is slimmer than a 2019-2020 61. The inlays are also different, more white than “aged”. They also have PCB instead of hand wired pots. The body is also a lot thinner for some reason. The 2018 SG standard and the 2019-2020 SG standard (not the 61) share that same body thinness. The 61 honestly feels better, sounds better. The 2019-2020 standard sounds great, but there are things that really bug me about them. More often than not, you’ll find them with 3 piece bodies. It’s not a tonal issue I have, it just seems cheap as hell for a $1500 + tax guitar. The gig bag is actually quite nice and seems like it would protect your guitar pretty well. Also, the neck on a standard vs a 61 standard is much different. The 61 has a very rounded slim taper neck, which feels amazing. It feels natural in your hand. The standard (batwing) has a slim neck and wide shoulders. I’ve gone through 3 and they all pissed me off... they claim it’s rounded, but they feel like flat and wide necks. If there a dude at Gibson making them that way, just stop dude. No one buys a guitar that claims to be rounded, and you sand them to be some crap you personally prefer. I know they do this, because I also work at an instrument factory. Anyhow, my rant is over 

Tried the SG standard 2019 today, i feel the same, too flat, wide shoulders. Tried the SG  traditional also, too fat neck, got fatter as it went up the neck 12th fret. Im used to fender C and modern C shapes. Im hoping a 61 reisusse will be a good neck for me.