Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition 30s L-00

gibpicker

Has anyone played one of these? Adi top, hide glue construction, sound clips on YouTube sound pretty good. I've been looking for a good vintage L-00 but prices are just so insanely high. I have a line on an early 40s L-00 and a late 30s L-0 that are in my price range (both are right around $3.5k), but then came across this limited edition 30s model. Over $1,000 less than both of the vintage ones I'm looking at and seems to be built pretty well. Can't play any of the three unfortunately. Any opinions? 

I haven't seen that particular model to know the details, but I went through the same thing you did before finding a nice L-OO Legend, which may have similar specs to the one you are talking about. The Legend has all hide glue construction--everything--adi top, tapered headstock, etc. It is a near-exact replica of a specific 1937 L-OO. 

It has a lot of details that most modern re-issues do not have, such as fabric interior side stays. There are some very good modern re-issue L-OO model out there, but you don't see them on the market that much.

If you have further details on the one you are looking at, post them so we can compare.

I have said it before but the key to the Advance L body guitars of the 1930s was not the wood or glue and such but the lightness of the build and the bracing.  An early-1940s L-00 will have a lot more in common with a Bozeman -made version than a late-1930s L-0.   Both the  L-00 and the various Bozeman takes on that model will, as example. have scalloped top bracing.  The 1939 L-00 will still have the tall thin non-scalloped bracing Gibson started using after they abandoned the "H" and "Lazy H" bracing used in the 1920s.   Pretty much a more delicate version of the bracing Gibson used in the Trojan, J35 and Roy Smecks (at least from 1935 on).   Not a good or a bad thing just different.  Comes down to what sound you have i your head and what you are wanting to pull out of a guitar.

The other thing which comes into play is the amount of care and feeding a 1930s Gibson will require.  Not saying it is a trial and tribulation but  I , as example,  not only stick with 11 gauge strings on my  '32 L1  but go with low tension strings such as the Newtone Heritage.  Considering the guitar clocks it at around three pounds it just allows me to sleep a little easier at night.  A newer and heavier built Bozeman version will be more worry free.  "No Gibson is Glued Enough" will not enter the picture..

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

I haven't seen that particular model to know the details, but I went through the same thing you did before finding a nice L-OO Legend, which may have similar specs to the one you are talking about. The Legend has all hide glue construction--everything--adi top, tapered headstock, etc. It is a near-exact replica of a specific 1937 L-OO. 

The Legend L-00 is one model I still have never been able to spend any kind of quality time with.  My impression though is that it was a perfect guitar to replicate.  These later-1930s guitars while lighter built than the standard Bozeman versions were still built heavy  enough to ensure  they would not become warranty nightmares.  A perfect example of Gibson having done their homework.

Edited by zombywoof

Thanks all, appreciate the insight! Yeah I've tried keeping an eye out for a Legend but they really never pop up, and for good reason from what I've heard about them.

Here's a link to the guitar I mentioned in my original post: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-edition-l-00-1930s-classic-acoustic-guitar

Edited by gibpicker

1 hour ago, gibpicker said:

Thanks all, appreciate the insight! Yeah I've tried keeping an eye out for a Legend but they really never pop up, and for good reason from what I've heard about them.

Here's a link to the guitar I mentioned in my original post: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-edition-l-00-1930s-classic-acoustic-guitar

From the description, that guitar probably has a slightly more modern neck profile, with the "standard" modern nut width. Not exactly what a "slim taper V" neck profile would be. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Specs look decent: sort to the L-OO equivalent of a True Vintage J-45. I would rather have a sunburst top, but the tuxedo version is pretty cool, and there are folks here who prefer that.

6 minutes ago, j45nick said:

From the description, that guitar probably has a slightly more modern neck profile, with the "standard" modern nut width. Not exactly what a "slim taper V" neck profile would be. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Specs look decent: sort to the L-OO equivalent of a True Vintage J-45. I would rather have a sunburst top, but the tuxedo version is pretty cool, and there are folks here who prefer that.

Yeah I don't mind the different neck profile, I'm pretty flexible with that sort of thing, and I actually love the ebony finish. Kinda prefer it to the sunburst to be honest though I'd be perfectly happy with either.

These are the two vintage ones I'm looking at.

L-0: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/guitars/flat-top-acoustics/gibson-l-0-guitar-1939/

L-00: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/guitars/flat-top-acoustics/gibson-l-00-guitar-1941-42/

1 hour ago, gibpicker said:

Yeah I don't mind the different neck profile, I'm pretty flexible with that sort of thing, and I actually love the ebony finish. Kinda prefer it to the sunburst to be honest though I'd be perfectly happy with either.

These are the two vintage ones I'm looking at.

L-0: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/guitars/flat-top-acoustics/gibson-l-0-guitar-1939/

L-00: https://vintage-instruments.com/shop/guitars/flat-top-acoustics/gibson-l-00-guitar-1941-42/

The dealer, Fred Oster, has a very good reputation and is very knowledgeable.

The sunburst '41-42 may well be one of the very last L-OOs made. It has the later, more narrow nut (which was Gibson standard nut width from around 1946-1964, and is fine for most people). It looks to be in nice shape. For info on the scalloped tone bars, see zombywoof's post.

It does not have a truss rod, which is a characteristic of Gibsons  built during parts of WW2.

The earlier tuxedo has had numerous cracks repaired, and sounds like it has a lot of playwear on the fretboard. The low saddle probably means a neck re-set is in its future, but that might also be years away.

These seem fairly priced.

They are vintage instruments, and as such they need a bit more care than a modern instrument.

The choice between them would be based on tone, playability, and general condition on close inspection.

A modern guitar would be a safer choice, but this is not an easy decision.

12 minutes ago, j45nick said:

The dealer, Fred Oster, has a very good reputation and is very knowledgeable.

It does not have a truss rod, which is a characteristic of Gibsons  built during parts of WW2.

Fred surely does know his stuff.

But I have run across early 1940s L-00s with the "hidden" truss rods .   Why Gibson did this I do not have a clue..  Possibly they were using up their leftover stock of Recording King non-adjustable truss rods or something. 

Edited by zombywoof

Here's the specs on the version I have from 2014.
Has the fabric strips on the inside and weighs 3.5 lbs
Internal

1932 L-00

Specifications

Body
Type L-00
Top Adirondack Red Spruce
Back and Sides Mahogany
Binding Single-ply Top, Traditional Rosette
Bracing Gibson 1930's Period-correct X-Braced Top w/Hot Hide Glue
Body
Neck
Species Mahogany
Profile 1930's "V"
Thickness 1.750" at Nut
Truss Rod Single Action
Neck
Neck Fit
Joint Compound Dovetail
Construction Joint at 14th Fret
Adhesive Hide Glue
Neck Fit
Fingerboard
Species Rosewood
Scale Length 25"
Radius 12"
Fret Wire Period Correct Standard Fret Wire
Inlays 1/4" Mother of Pearl Dots
Adhesive Wood Glue
Fingerboard
Nut
Material Black GraphTech™
Width 1.750
Nut
Headstock
Type Traditional AJ
Angle 17 Degrees
Logo Gibson Silkscreen Script
Truss Rod Cover Black

Headstock
Tuners
Model 3-in-line Period Correct Cream Button
Tuning Ratio 14:1

Tuners
Bridge
Type Traditional Rectangle with Extended Slot Bone Saddle
Material Rosewood
Bridge
Hardware
Pickguard Traditional L-00 Firestripe Pick Guard
Strap Buttons End Pin
Strings Gibson Light Guage .012" - .053"
Hardware
Finish
HL32VSNH1-Swatch.jpg 
Vintage Sunburst

Lacquer Nitrocellulose
Process Hand Sprayed
Case
Type Pre-war Red Line Case
Exterior Black Tolex
Interior Purple Fabric
Case
Accessories
Manuals Owners Manual
Warranty Gibson Gold Warranty
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I have said it before but the key to the Advance L body guitars of the 1930s was not the wood or glue and such but the lightness of the build and the bracing.  An early-1940s L-00 will have a lot more in common with a Bozeman -made version than a late-1930s L-0.   Both the  L-00 and the various Bozeman takes on that model will, as example. have scalloped top bracing.  The 1939 L-00 will still have the tall thin non-scalloped bracing Gibson started using after they abandoned the "H" and "Lazy H" bracing used in the 1920s.   Pretty much a more delicate version of the bracing Gibson used in the Trojan, J35 and Roy Smecks (at least from 1935 on).   Not a good or a bad thing just different.  Comes down to what sound you have i your head and what you are wanting to pull out of a guitar.

The other thing which comes into play is the amount of care and feeding a 1930s Gibson will require.  Not saying it is a trial and tribulation but  I , as example,  not only stick with 11 gauge strings on my  '32 L1  but go with low tension strings such as the Newtone Heritage.  Considering the guitar clocks it at around three pounds it just allows me to sleep a little easier at night.  A newer and heavier built Bozeman version will be more worry free.  "No Gibson is Glued Enough" will not enter the picture..

I break it down in to two sounds - 'dry' and 'wet'....

My old guitars sound 'dry' and the new Gibsons sound 'wet' (And Martins).

I keep raving about my Waterloo WL-14s because somehow they have managed to capture the 'dry' sound of my old L-00! 

So the question is - how do they get the 'dry' old sound? The Waterloos aren't torrefied. Is it the matt finish? Bracing?

Is it the gloss finish that makes new guitars 'wet'? How do you get the 'wet' sound if you want it?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 1/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, gibpicker said:

Has anyone played one of these? Adi top, hide glue construction, sound clips on YouTube sound pretty good. I've been looking for a good vintage L-00 but prices are just so insanely high. I have a line on an early 40s L-00 and a late 30s L-0 that are in my price range (both are right around $3.5k), but then came across this limited edition 30s model. Over $1,000 less than both of the vintage ones I'm looking at and seems to be built pretty well. Can't play any of the three unfortunately. Any opinions? 

I scored this model a couple of months ago, after searching for a long while. It’s a 5-star dealer limited edition—just 65 were made. 

I am not disappointed. (The neck, btw, is no kind of V-shape—just your basic comfortable C, I’d say.) It’s light, responsive and balanced and just what I was after.

I have not been playing much, else I’d’ve recorded something to share by now. That said, I’m glad I done it!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AnneS said:

I scored this model a couple of months ago, after searching for a long while. It’s a 5-star dealer limited edition—just 65 were made. 

I am not disappointed. (The neck, btw, is no kind of V-shape—just your basic comfortable C, I’d say.) It’s light, responsive and balanced and just what I was after.

I have not been playing much, else I’d’ve recorded something to share by now. That said, I’m glad I done it!

If yours is as cosy as Dave F's I look forward to hear it. And to 'see' where your writing is at too. 

Thanks all for the additional replies! After a few days of collecting more info, I ended up going with the early 40s L-00 from Vintage Instruments in Philly. I have purchased from them in the past so I expect it'll be a great guitar. Will definitely post an NGD once it arrives!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gibpicker said:

Thanks all for the additional replies! After a few days of collecting more info, I ended up going with the early 40s L-00 from Vintage Instruments in Philly. I have purchased from them in the past so I expect it'll be a great guitar. Will definitely post an NGD once it arrives!

So much for that...even though I bought it on their site, it had apparently sold just a little bit earlier. More decision making now I suppose...