Gibson Brands Forums

L00? EBay

Dave F

Well OK, but I feel it's flaws are in keeping with the starting price. It's even got the ebony nut and black buttons on correct tuners. Says the action is good and accepts returns. Those are good signs.

Looks like the top binding has been replaced.

Edited by jedzep

25 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Well OK, but I feel it's flaws are in keeping with the starting price. It's even got the ebony nut and black buttons on correct tuners. Says the action is good and accepts returns. Those are good signs.

Looks like the top binding has been replaced.

I agree that the price is in line with the condition. If I didn't have a couple project guitars in-progress I might go for it.

That, Sgt P, has been a debated question here from the time I joined the forum and waaay before. Not sure it's ever been answered. It's said that the designation 'O' was for founder Orville's name, and the 'L' was for the second in, Lewis Williams. Problem is the 'O' is actually 0 (zero). Others have said 'little' and 'learner'.

Gruhn's book says 'little guitar'.

Edited by jedzep

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have a Martin 000-28 and know that a 00 is a size and 0, but what does L stand for, Little?

I do not think anybody has yet figured out what the "L" prefix means.  If you look at the early-1900s catalogs, harp guitars were style R, mandolins  Style A and F,  mandolas Style H, mandocellos Style K. and guitars either Style L or O the main difference seeming to be whether it had a round or oval soundhole.   In the early- 1920s the O style designation disappears and the L Style is adopted for all guitars.   When it comes to the 0,1,2 and such the designations appear to relate to the level of bling.

Edited by zombywoof

Assuming the guitar did not originally have a black finish, I would date it 1933 to 1936. 

Regarding price - it would all hinge on  the top finish.  A big difference in value between a guitar which has suffered a total re-finish compared to one with a not so well done touch up job and maybe an overspray or something.  Then you toss in that from the pictures it looks like there is something antsy about the neck just too many red flags waving with this one.  This is one of those you pays your money you takes your chances guitars.    But as they also say no guts no glory.

Edited by zombywoof

Phew...

That binding, the dog leg in the burst, the neck join and a bridge with a saddle at the wrong angle???.......to make it hard or impossible to get in tune....

A quick look on Reverb and most Ls are $4600-5000, so it could be a bargain. New bridge, bone saddle, paint the top black, rub some tea in that binding?

Depends on how much you want the Gibson logo, but you could probably get a sensational Waterloo WL-14 X braced with a few years on it for $1600-1800?

BluesKing777.

That's an interesting one. I am under a 2 hour drive from that guitar and would love to sample it.  But don't have the time this weekend.  I might next week though and it'd be really interesting to get hands on that one.