Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chroma Songwriter Black Cherry

Chroma

Hello,

I ordered the Gibson Songwriter Chroma Black Cherry guitar at the beginning of November last year. It has since been discontinued. However at the time had confirmation from Gibson USA and Gibson Canada rep that it would be made and the order would be processed. However I have confirmation now of ETA end of this month.... first arriving at head office of my music store then will be send on to my city. Estimated mid April .

This will be my first Gibson. The guitar just appealed to me and I have the highest regard for the high quality of craftsmanship produced by Gibson USA at Bozeman.

The question I have about Gibson acoustic guitars is regarding this guitar. I understand there are standard models etc  J45, Humingbird, Dove etc that have been in Acoustic Lineup forever!

How would the Chroma rate in comparison overall of the standard models that are always in the lineup?

I guess I’m just trying to understand that the Chroma was only a run of a certain amount of guitars? And does it make the Chroma more rare.

IMHO I think the Chroma will be amazing in every detail and will definitely exemplify the amazing craftsmanship of Gibson Custom shop acoustics.

Yeah it’s a long wait getting this guitar but at the time it was ordered they were backed up with 4000 orders. I knew it would take considerable time. But well worth the wait.

At any rate I’ve got the updated ETA and will be in my hands soon!

The Chroma series is a modern take on established models like, in this case, the Songwriter. Personally,  I can see myself liking the slimmer body and fast neck but a cutaway is hard pass for me in general. I like the choice of woods as well but would probably not come to terms with the Black Cherry Burst finish. I don't mind the choice of ebony for the bridge and fretboard, or all the other appointments.

front-banner-1600_900.png

• Like 2

C,  Welcome and Congrats!    Some of the better known models are what they are today because they gained a toe hold decades ago at periods when the guitar market experienced groundswells  of people buying and playing guitars.  The Hummingbird is a good example.   Like the automobile - after the market became defined and solidified, there were only a few makers and each only had a few models.  There was a quote, true or not, attributed to Henry Ford's Model T - "You can have any color you want as long as it's black."  years ago,  With changes in manufacturing processes and marketing  it became possible to produce a dozen models instead of just three.  The 'late to the party' models are not less 'desirable',  from a standpoint of tone, playability or appearance.  They just have history working against them.  The J45 is probably the most commonly seen acoustic guitar on stages - so that implants and furthers the message of it being more desirable.  The Songwriter is a stellar guitar and variations of it - like yours, are as well.   Post your New Guitar Day  message, including what song your play first on it!   

• Like 1

Congrats!   And yeah, the the J45 and SJ would hold the record for amount of time to have  been in continuous production.  But as fortyyeaspickn notes square shoulder Gibsons have certainly gained a foothold in the Gibson legacy with the first to leave Kalamazoo being the Epiphone Frontier in 1958 followed by the Hummingbird in 1960.   Your guitar is simply a  21st century Bozeman take on these.  

• Like 1

Thanks all for some interesting info and opinions on this. Being my first Gibson acoustic, something about it just really caught my attention.

Im feeling good about it and looking forward to its arrival. Should be no later then mid April.

Thanks again all 👍

Edited by Chroma

Hi Leonard

You mentioned “ a cutaway is hard pass for me in general”.  Just wondering why that is out of curiosity? Is it because the other full body models have a fuller sound/tone? Just curious.

I’ve heard and or seen debates regarding differences between cutaway etc... some say not so much difference in sound? I think though full body would be much larger sound.

It might prompt me to get another full body guitar down the road in a different model though. 
Although this should sit fine with me for some time for sure.

Thanks again everyone! I’ll definitely send info on its arrival and first song played etc.

Quite excited for its arrival... waited some time but it’s ok. The factory was backed up with orders when this was ordered to about 4000 orders caused likely by the implications of covid prior to that.

Anyway I’m certain worth the wait.

22 hours ago, Chroma said:

Hi Leonard

You mentioned “ a cutaway is hard pass for me in general”.  Just wondering why that is out of curiosity? Is it because the other full body models have a fuller sound/tone? Just curious.

I’ve heard and or seen debates regarding differences between cutaway etc... some say not so much difference in sound? I think though full body would be much larger sound.

It might prompt me to get another full body guitar down the road in a different model though. 
Although this should sit fine with me for some time for sure.

This is mostly personal preference of noncutaways over cutaways, so worry not that you may have made the wrong choice. For one, I do not need easier fret access past the fretboard extension, and the look, feel, and sound of noncutaways is not something I want to cut away in any shape or form. I also like my fretboard extension to be properly supported on either side by the body of the upper bout, which is something no one else would worry about.

I am looking forward to your NGD post coming up soon. Welcome to the Gibson club!

3GhwR51.jpg

Edited by Leonard McCoy

On 3/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, Leonard McCoy said:

The Chroma series is a modern take on established models like, in this case, the Songwriter. Personally,  I can see myself liking the slimmer body and fast neck but a cutaway is hard pass for me in general. I like the choice of woods as well but would probably not come to terms with the Black Cherry Burst finish. I don't mind the choice of ebony for the bridge and fretboard, or all the other appointments.

front-banner-1600_900.png

My guitars are mostly non-cutaways, BUT: That's a cooooooool looking guitar! 

• 1 year later...