Gibson Brands Forums

Is it a Gibson?

criffindoor

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like a luke warn egg roll.

I like egg rolls, but the headstock shape looks familiar like maybe a Vintage or something similar.

After all its not close enough to be an out right forgery Les Paul, but just another LP style with a nicely done maple top. So I wonder how it it plays or sounds.

Edited by mihcmac

15 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I like egg rolls, but the headstock shape looks familiar like maybe a Vintage or something similar.

After all its not close enough to be an out right forgery Les Paul, but just another LP style with a nicely done maple top. So I wonder how it it plays or sounds.

I guess you need to ask his cousin.

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess you need to ask his cousin.

OK, so I would ask does it stay in tune, how does the neck feel, is the fingerboard and frets smooth, does it sustain easily like the 2k or 3k LP its styled after?

Edited by mihcmac

22 hours ago, criffindoor said:

thank you very much for your beneficial comment. Every forum needs a conceited, big-headed person like you that ridicules people for not knowing stuff they literally havent dealt with before.  

Glad to be of help, you need answers, I’m the one to see. Satisfaction Guaranteed.

15 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Yes, the three-screw truss rod cover was a dead giveaway, but what caught my eye first were the screwdriver slots in the studs that the Tune O Matic bridge sets onto. 

Unless somebody can hold up an example of an odd one, I've never seen a genuine Gibson with anything but smooth stud tops. 

Oh, and the shape of the fingerboard inlays. 
There's that. 
😗

Yep, and like someone said, there were several things.  Does Japan build fakes? I know they have made fake Mosrite Venture guitars with Ventures on the headstock and tried to sell them here. I forgot the name of the guy who was doing it? 

20 hours ago, Retired said:

Yep, and like someone said, there were several things.  Does Japan build fakes? I know they have made fake Mosrite Venture guitars with Ventures on the headstock and tried to sell them here. I forgot the name of the guy who was doing it? 

Japan is where the fakes started, some have been said to be higher quality than their US counterpart, specially during the 70/80's. But US patients and copyright got.them settled down, then other Asian companies started to crank it up.

5 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Japan is where the fakes started, some have been said to be higher quality than their US counterpart, specially during the 70/80's. But US patients and copyright got.them settled down, then other Asian companies started to crank it up.

Ok, I couldn't tell much difference between a US and Japan Mozrite guitar, Almost was tempted to get one as they were cheaper but I wanted the real Mcoy. 

26 minutes ago, Retired said:

Ok, I couldn't tell much difference between a US and Japan Mozrite guitar, Almost was tempted to get one as they were cheaper but I wanted the real Mcoy. 

I've only seen one real one in person in my lifetime.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've only seen one real one in person in my lifetime.

Yeah, I never saw their original ones for sale. I only saw one that had all their signatures on it. It was a yellow, I thought about that one for a long time but Deb would shoot me if I payed out for that one. Best one I've seen.  But then, do you actually play that one?  I imagine they signed a few more for people? 

16 hours ago, Retired said:

Yeah, I never saw their original ones for sale. I only saw one that had all their signatures on it. It was a yellow, I thought about that one for a long time but Deb would shoot me if I payed out for that one. Best one I've seen.  But then, do you actually play that one?  I imagine they signed a few more for people? 

They were fairly common during my time, did know a few people that had them. I tried out a Mosrite bass for a while that played really well, but turned out to be too neck heavy so I didn't keep it.

4LZyJiIl.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

8 hours ago, mihcmac said:

They were fairly common during my time, did know a few people that had them. I tried out a Mosrite bass for a while that played really well, but turned out to be too neck heavy so I didn't keep it.

4LZyJiIl.jpg

Good Fregish, Are those all yours? Theres some nice ones there but it has to say Ventures on the head stock when I do buy one. 

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

No not mine, just a small collection of Mosrite's..

There were some nice ones in there for sure.  Don't know why I really want one for? I really don't play much surf songs anymore, just a few.  the Jag I have does a fine job with that.  It's even Surf Green, Lol. 

16 hours ago, Retired said:

There were some nice ones in there for sure.  Don't know why I really want one for? I really don't play much surf songs anymore, just a few.  the Jag I have does a fine job with that.  It's even Surf Green, Lol. 

I think Mosrite's are introduced as Surf guitars, not sure exactly what that means as most surf players used Fenders. So if you got a Jag you probably got it covered. I haven't played any of the Asian built Mosrite's, but I would imagine any Japan built in the 90's would be pretty good. I don't know if there are still US versions being built.

Edited by mihcmac

29 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I think Mosrite's are introduced as Surf guitars, not sure exactly what that means as most surf players used Fenders. So if you got a Jag you probably got it covered. I haven't played any of the Asian built Mosrite's, but I would imagine any Japan built in the 90's would be pretty good. I don't know if there are still US versions being built.

Anything with single coils will do. D-ick Dale used a Strat and strung from high to low instead of the other way round.

For fuk sake you have to trick to forum when spelling D-ick what a joke. It's a dudes name.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Yes, their were so many surf songs with the Ventures and Beach Boys and so forth. My cousin taught me many Venture songs at 13 when I started. Some stayed over all the years I played them and I still do. The Mosrite was designed and built for the Ventures way back then they gave it up and went Fender. I loved that Twang the Mosrite made. I think the closest guitar I have to it is my Jaguar. I wasn't impressed with it though as the strings kept sliding off the neck doing all the string bends I did. The vibrato arm messed up the tuning a lot every time I used it 2 or 3 times a song. Finally I found a Mustang bridge and took the original  one off that was junk. Much much better now. Yeah, I'd love a Mosrite but there really just too old and have so much you have to fix on them. Your'e lucky if you can find a good one with the original parts. 

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Anything with single coils will do. D-ick Dale used a Strat and strung from high to low instead of the other way round.

For fuk sake you have to trick to forum when spelling D-ick what a joke. It's a dudes name.

Haha, too funny. I noticed that way back when I spelled a normal word that nothing was wrong with it and it was rejected.