Gibson Brands Forums

Need advice on which LP for metal...

EddieDean

....or hardcore, or grindcore... whatever u choose to call it..

Slipknot, Deftones, Godsmack, Staind(the heavy stuff, not the whiny "I'm a loser" stuff)

I'm not a soloist, and probably never will be....I'm just looking for something that give me that gives me that chunk that I am looking for. I feel like I may need something with EMGs to attain what I want, but it seems like when a guitar comes stock with EMGs, it's always a cheaper guitar.

I've seen the Menace, but then I read that the 490/498 combo has a "vintage" sound. I've seen the BFG and the p-90 is interesting, but will it deliver what I want. The only single-coil guitar I have is a Strat....and it don't deliver in the metal dept. The Les Paul Gothic II sounds like it might be what I want, but I can't find any pics of it.

...btw, the amp I am currently using is a VOX AD50VT.

I just need a little advice and would like to find what I need in the Gibson line. I've got Gibson acoustics, but no Gibson electrics, yet.

....or hardcore' date=' or grindcore... whatever u choose to call it..

Slipknot, Deftones, Godsmack, Staind(the heavy stuff, not the whiny "I'm a loser" stuff)

I'm not a soloist, and probably never will be....I'm just looking for something that give me that gives me that chunk that I am looking for. I feel like I may need something with EMGs to attain what I want, but it seems like when a guitar comes stock with EMGs, it's always a cheaper guitar.

I've seen the Menace, but then I read that the 490/498 combo has a "vintage" sound. I've seen the BFG and the p-90 is interesting, but will it deliver what I want. The only single-coil guitar I have is a Strat....and it [u']don't[/u] deliver in the metal dept. The Les Paul Gothic II sounds like it might be what I want, but I can't find any pics of it.

...btw, the amp I am currently using is a VOX AD50VT.

I just need a little advice and would like to find what I need in the Gibson line. I've got Gibson acoustics, but no Gibson electrics, yet.

LP studio with EMGs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=514159

Any LP with 500T at the bridge position will get the job done right.

IMO' date=' 500T sounds much nastier than EMG 81...

[/quote']

Yeah a hot sizzly grunt . And no batteries ...

But why a Les . Why not a V or an Explorer , won't hurt the wallet near as much .

I have the 500T's In my Classic , V , & Explorer . And they all blister ... and burn

I hadn't even thought about the V or the Explorer..don't know why... and thanks for the heads-up on the 500T! I wish there was a shop nearby where I could try some out, but it looks like I may have to buy one just to see if I like it, as bad as I hate to do that.

....so many choices...:-$

I'm planning to put a 500T on my SG Std. next week.

SG/500T combo should work well... I hope. :-$

498T is a good choice as well.

I just put a 498T on my LP CP, and it sounds awesome.

498T doesn't have that extra picante "sizzling" crunch as

500T does but sounds better clean...

Yeah a hot sizzly grunt . And no batteries ...

But why a Les . Why not a V or an Explorer ' date=' won't hurt the wallet near as much .

I have the 500T's In my Classic , V , & Explorer . And they all blister ... and burn[/quote']

Yes for metal you should really consider getting a V or an Explorer... they kind of have the look to play metal with them. That said, I play metal too, but more iron maiden, judas priest, some angra, lots of nightwish, and some pantera... lots of 80s hair metal too (best music ever, just dont argue with me on this)... and i have a lp guitar with active EMGs (zakk wyldes set) and a les paul standard faded with burstbucker pros... the BB pros blow the emgs away even when the emgs are with new batteries. I use a VOX AC30cc2 amp (ok i know it isnt intended for metal but it is the nicest clean and with pedals it sounds great!), with a modded metal zone, and a marshall guvnor plus (not the original version).

So the only difference is in the pickups, and really man, the bb pros blow the emgs away... oh, and the emgs are really noisy with the metal zone! (they are not supposed to but lots of folks have the same problem)

Weak EMGs? Really. I must have gotten lucky with this SG then, GOTW 32 - EMG 85 & 81. Thundergod, let me tell you, there's no way my BB equipped 2006 LP can touch this puppy. Of all my guitars, this SG's neck pickup is the single best pickup I have...absolute heaven!!

EddieDean, somebody suggested the LP Studio w/EMG...I suggest you do not. I wanted that LP. I walked into the store with the intention of buying that LP w/EMG but this SG absolutely destroyed it! The LP is really muddy, while the SG is just so clean and crisp. Every note out of this thing is like a breath of fresh air. I really wish you guys could hear it!!

My suggestion, staying within the Gibson family, of course, is either a V, Explorer, or this SG.

LPs aren't metal guitars IMO. Yes, they are versatile and yes, people will argue that they are perfect for metal, but again, just my opinion.

Picture004.jpg

I had a choice between the satin black SG shown and the silverburst LP classic custom... silverburst won!!

Honestly you just have to go and try some of each... compare using the same amp etc. IMO you can do metal with anything, even a strat, you just need the correct set-up to match. Your amp, the VOX AD50VT will definately help, though you should have waited for the XL version, since it's more of a high gain amp.

I vote for a les paul classic custom though! My SG faded does it well too, really well, but the les paul is so much more powerful sounding and articulate...

Archived