Edwin Arlington Robinson - 1869-1935

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked,
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich--yes, richer than a king--
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

[cool]  Whitefang

40 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Especially if he gets his LYRICS and ideas from a good source.  [wink]

Richard Cory

Edwin Arlington Robinson - 1869-1935

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked,
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich--yes, richer than a king--
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

[cool]  Whitefang

Nothing wrong with putting someone else's words/poems to music, (as long as you give credit).

On 5/5/2021 at 12:10 PM, DanvillRob said:

Nothing wrong with putting someone else's words/poems to music, (as long as you give credit).

And he did.  On both the vinyl LP and the CD reissue  of the "Sounds Of Silence" album where the song "Richard Corey" is noted it's followed by;  "Apologies to  E. A. Robinson"   And Simon's working of it really isn't a verbatim use, but an expansion of the poem's spirit.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

And too, speaking of putting someone else's poems to music-------

Baez didn't provide the music.  That was composed by Don Dilworth.  The poem was Edgar Allen Poe's.

Whitefang

I've always REALLY liked Joan Baez..... saw her once when she opened for The Stones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I've always REALLY liked Joan Baez..... saw her once when she opened for The Stones.

As an old "folkie" I still have an affinity for Joan.  Sadly, never had the opportunity and pleasure of seeing her in a live performance.

Whitefang

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

As an old "folkie" I still have an affinity for Joan.  Sadly, never had the opportunity and pleasure of seeing her in a live performance.

Whitefang

My first guitar performance was at a Hoonenanny.... my friend sang and played....but I forget what song we did.

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

My first guitar performance was at a Hoonenanny.... my friend sang and played....but I forget what song we did.

My guess would be....  either

"Guantanamera"   or

"If I Had A Hammer."

Ah, HOOTenanny!   Remember that show?  ABC  program featuring popular folk acts and taped in front of live college audiences running from '63 to '64.  Can't recall what night it was on, but I rarely missed a show.  

I know you weren't saying you and your friend weren't on that show, but hootenanies were pretty popular around college campuses and  formed at other venues back in the early '60's.  ABC just "borrowed" the  word for the show's title.  

Whitefang

On 4/28/2021 at 2:41 PM, 'Scales said:

Bass players might be more astute than you'd think - McCartney, Sting, Gene, Waters, dude from U2 - all right up their among the wealthiest rockers of all time.  They all pay more tax, and likely give more to charity,  than any of us here too, so good luck to 'em.

Uhhh, except for Gene, don't all of those dudes (not by coincidence) live in Ireland which doesn't tax artists?  I know that is why Ringo calls Monaco home.

26 minutes ago, 01GT eibach said:

Uhhh, except for Gene, don't all of those dudes (not by coincidence) live in Ireland which doesn't tax artists?  I know that is why Ringo calls Monaco home.

Ringo lives in Monaco and LA.  Sting has a NY apartment and castle (yep a castle in Wiltshire which I think that is England), he has a place on the beach in Malibu, and also a place in Tuscany (sounds like Italy). Roger Water lives in NY on Long Island. Bono does live in Ireland. Gene lives in LA. Macca lives in St. John's Wood in London.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ringo lives in Monaco and LA.  Sting has a NY apartment and castle (yep a castle in Wiltshire which I think that is England), he has a place on the beach in Malibu, and also a place in Tuscany (sounds like Italy). Roger Water lives in NY on Long Island. Bono does live in Ireland. Gene lives in LA. Macca lives in St. John's Wood in London.

If I didn't live where I live, I would consider Ireland... I LOVED it there.

Man if I saved all the KISS s-hit I had when I was a kid and had it in decent condition I'd be rich like Gene. All I got is a bunch of scratched up albums I played on my parents stereo and then mine when I got one. 

Look at Paul playing that Firebird Steve Ford. And when I say play I don't mean literally. Ace has a 3 pup LP. Take that Frampton.

jSuK0Di.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man if I saved all the KISS s-hit I had when I was a kid and had it in decent condition I'd be rich like Gene. All I got is a bunch of scratched up albums I played on my parents stereo and then mine when I got one. 

Look at Paul playing that Firebird Steve Ford. And when I say play I don't mean literally. Ace has a 3 pup LP. Take that Frampton.

It's just too bad they couldn't do anything worthwhile with them.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang