Gibson Brands Forums

A song for the end of the pandemic...

Lars68

I wrote and recorded the song below over the weekend. It's sort of a “live now, before it's too late” kind of song. It might be fitting, now that we hopefully are nearing the end of the pandemic and we can start experiencing things outside of the four walls of our homes again. It's only a one-take, practice recording, done right after finishing the lyrics. So all is done in one go infront of the mic, which is not exactly my strongest suit, but at least it's honest. Whenever I do a proper recording, I hope to add some more space to the lyrics, some kind of riff/bridge/or other way to make the guitar more interesting. I've already made some changes to the lyrics, as noted below, a few more tweaks are in the works.

Any and all suggestions for improvements are welcome!

THESE FOUR WALLS

Verse 1: 
If your todays are like tomorrows, and just like yesterdays, 
come meet me at the railroad station 
New memories lie awaiting ways away

Chorus 1: 
These four walls that surround me, I will fight them 'till the end 
These four walls that surround me, they will never be my friend

Verse 2 
On a long train of longing, let the rails sing us to sleep 
Passing towns, fields, and valleys, 
with rivers wide and so deep

Chorus 2: 
No more walls to surround me, I will fight them 'till the end 
No more walls to surround me, come ride with me my friend

Verse 3: 
Time's tide will wear us all, and our tracks run to an end 
but come tomorrow, we'll wake as new 
to meet the mysteries lying round the bend

Chorus 3: 
One day walls may surround us, when our shift comes to an end    (last bit will be changed to: ”as down old age we descend”)
One day walls may surround us, please stay with me my friend

Edited by Lars68

On 5/18/2021 at 10:44 AM, Lars68 said:

I wrote and recorded the song below over the weekend. It's sort of a “live now, before it's too late” kind of song. It might be fitting, now that we hopefully are nearing the end of the pandemic and we can start experiencing things outside of the four walls of our homes again. It's only a one-take, practice recording, done right after finishing the lyrics. So all is done in one go infront of the mic, which is not exactly my strongest suit, but at least it's honest. Whenever I do a proper recording, I hope to add some more space to the lyrics, some kind of riff/bridge/or other way to make the guitar more interesting. I've already made some changes to the lyrics, as noted below, a few more tweaks are in the works.

THESE FOUR WALLS

Verse 1: 

Chorus 1: 

Verse 2 

Chorus 2: 

Verse 3: 

Chorus 3: 
One day walls may surround us, when our shift comes to an end    (last bit will be changed to: ”as down old age we descend”)

Nice job there Lars!  I think we all can relate !  thanks again.

Guys, I appreciate it! I know this track is far from perfect, but compared to the standard of my past one-take efforts, I feel I'm making slow progress. 

I already have some lyrical revisions ready. There were some redundant words, and a repetition of imagery (sort of...) that I have revised for an upcoming multi-track attempt. 

Also, the melody came to me so fast that I almost wonder if I unknowingly stole it. Has that ever happened to you? If my melody is a rip off, please let me know before I have a law suit on my hands 😀 Isure hope it's not a Metallica song... 😳

Lars

Edited by Lars68

15 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I wrote a song last June about the lock-down.

The music is Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released"

Beutiful! Lovely guitar too. I have a 12-string as well (a cheapo Gretsch) but I sure can’t make it sound like that.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

12 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Lars - very nice! 

Singing great too....  let's all get back to making music. I think I will be drinking some  wine and picking with a few buddies tonight. I am real eager!

I really miss being able to play with others.... hopefully we'll get back to that soon!

On 5/18/2021 at 7:44 AM, Lars68 said:

THESE FOUR WALLS

Verse 1: 

Chorus 1: 

Verse 2 

Chorus 2: 

Verse 3: 

Chorus 3: 

Great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a stab at a multi track recording of my new song with two guitars, keys, and some percussion. I think it turned out okey. Some parts were better in the original, while others are much better in the new version. So I decided to keep them both.

Lars

15 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Here is a stab at a multi track recording of my new song with two guitars, keys, and some percussion. I think it turned out okey. Some parts were better in the original, while others are much better in the new version. So I decided to keep them both.

Lars

Pretty Cool, Lars. What was the element on the right? It sounded like a cross between electric piano and a Glock'. I like all of the added elements. Well done.

21 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Pretty Cool, Lars. What was the element on the right? It sounded like a cross between electric piano and a Glock'. I like all of the added elements. Well done.

The part on the right is keys I played on the iPad in GarageBand. It’s called Warm Bells, which is pretty much what it sounds like. I like it!

Lars