Gibson Brands Forums

Is This The Build Date?

Brucebubs

Well the guitar serial number  would be correct.   And  prior to the final inspection.   I think it reads.  194 guitar , during the 3 rd month of 2020.   Where the final is on the 7th month/22 day / 2020.   So I bet that would be about right. Because of Bozemans shut down and start of renos. during covid   My guess. 

1 minute ago, slimt said:

Well the guitar serial number  would be correct.   And  prior to the final inspection.   I think it reads.  194 guitar , during the 3 rd month of 2020.   Where the final is on the 7th month/22 day / 2020.   So I bet that would be about right. Because of Bozemans shut down and start of renos. during covid   My guess. 

Sounds perfect, thanks for that, much appreciated.

1 minute ago, slimt said:

Thats the 194?  July 12? 

Yes

2  194  0     003

(1st and fourth digit) 20 is the year, 194 is the day and 003 is 3rd guitar of the day

uly 9, 2020 (Thu) Day 191 175 -342 Week 28 51.91 %
July 10, 2020 (Fri) Day 192 174 -341 Week 28 52.19 %
July 11, 2020 (Sat) Day 193 173 -340 Week 28 52.46 %
July 12, 2020 (Sun) Day 194 172 -339 Week 28 52.73 %
July 13, 2020 (Mon) Day 195 171 -338 Week 29 53.01 %
July 14, 2020 (Tue) Day 196 170 -337 Week 29 53.28 %
July 15, 2020 (Wed) Day 197 169 -336 Week 29 53.55 %
July 16, 2020 (Thu) Day 198 168 -335 Week 29 53.83 %
July 17, 2020 (Fri) Day 199 167 -334 Week 29 54.10 

13 hours ago, Boyd said:

Tried to look up the build date on my 2020 1960's J-50 a couple weeks ago and found this on Gibson's site, which surprised me...

"Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year."

https://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search

That should not affect your acoustic model. It's not in the Gibson USA group.

Should follow this

The pattern is as follows:
YDDDYRRR
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.

Edited by Dave F

11 hours ago, Dave F said:

That should affect your acoustic model. It's not in the Gibson USA group.

Sorry, I am not familiar with Gibson's operations. I had assumed that "Gibson USA" was the main company, but my serial number does fit that pattern - thanks.

5 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Sorry, I am not familiar with Gibson's operations. I had assumed that "Gibson USA" was the main company, but my serial number does fit that pattern - thanks.

I'd think the 'production date' would have to be sometime before the 'final inspection date' since one of the checks would be to verify that the serial number is there.... correct....legible ...... correctly positioned.......and probably a few points I'm forgetting.

In vehicles the 'manufacture date' is the date we consider it a complete vehicle... prior to testing....final assembly (i.e. putting on parts that were missing, or incorrectly installed, road test and delivery).

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I'd think the 'production date' would have to be sometime before the 'final inspection date' since one of the checks would be to verify that the serial number is there.... correct....legible ...... correctly positioned.......and probably a few points I'm forgetting.

In vehicles the 'manufacture date' is the date we consider it a complete vehicle... prior to testing....final assembly (i.e. putting on parts that were missing, or incorrectly installed, road test and delivery).

Oh yeah.....there is Nitrocellulose over the stamp....so after the serial number was applied, it would still  have to go to paint.

Very interesting that my Pre War was started In May with the same inspection date of 7/22/20 as Brucebubs checklist

CSJB20PWVS

packed by CP, Inspected by JT

I didn’t preorder mine. I purchased it in store just after it had been posted for sale online at 10pm the previous evening. I phoned the store

the minute they opened the next morning and said I would be in within the hour to pay for it. They held it as they knew me.  I bought the Historic AJ

the same way.

10 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

Very interesting that my Pre War was started In May with the same inspection date of 7/22/20 as Brucebubs checklist

CSJB20PWVS

packed by CP, Inspected by JT

I didn’t preorder mine. I purchased it in store just after it had been posted for sale online at 10pm the previous evening. I phoned the store

the minute they opened the next morning and said I would be in within the hour to pay for it. They held it as they knew me.  I bought the Historic AJ

the same way.

Kinda the way I got my Hummingbird Custom Koa..... I was at a dog show in LA.....saw it posted on the Guitar Center Web Site in San Jose..... I gave them a date I'd be there to pick it up...and to please not put in on the floor for every teen to play (scratch) it.   That was in 2011. Serial Number is:    10951015.

17 hours ago, Boyd said:

Tried to look up the build date on my 2020 1960's J-50 a couple weeks ago and found this on Gibson's site, which surprised me...

"Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year."

https://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search

Gibson's own site is outdated. Gibson USA reverted to the 2005 serial number format in 2018; Gibson Acoustic never switched to the 2014 system at all.

Edited by pohatu771
  • Like 2