Gibson Brands Forums

Zappa's Final Tour Album Released Today

Sgt. Pepper

Franks final US date was recorded and today is the release date of it.  He had big band for this tour. It’s called Zappa '88: The Last US Show.

I need to get on Amazon and order it. The band had 13 members including Frank.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Considering the musical quality of the "big band" effort of THE GRAND WAZOO,  that recording should be well worth the money.

Whitefang

Indeed. I have The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life. Which is songs from the last tour but not an entire show.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered it.

Vinyl I'm sure. I need to check out the price and get it. I wanted to get the 50th Ann. Edition of Deja Vu. I have my original album. I have been working on learning 4+20. Which is the only CSN or CSNY song that has only one member singing on. They all heard it and said we are not adding to that its to good.

4 albums, $70 free shipping.

I burn the albums to CD so I can listen to it in the TV system and not have to worry about anything while I'm working.

That was a great tour but I saw him in a basketball gymnasium so he kept apologizing for the acoustics.  The next night he was in NYC but all the shows were sold out.

2 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

4 albums, $70 free shipping.

I burn the albums to CD so I can listen to it in the TV system and not have to worry about anything while I'm working.

That was a great tour but I saw him in a basketball gymnasium so he kept apologizing for the acoustics.  The next night he was in NYC but all the shows were sold out.

I was in Illinois drinking too much and being a dumb sailor and d-icking off when I should have been learning about electronics.

He played that in Berkeley when I saw him in the summer of '84.

Wanna wanna wanna an enema enema?

I have the setlist I got from the mixing guy after the show. We were sitting about 10 yards away from the mixer and I asked and he gave it to me. I believe it is hand written by the Maestro himself. Who else writes a Zappa setlist to a Zappa show but him?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

That reminds me, when I saw Dweezil in York, PA he came back from intermission and somebody had swiped his set list.  He made a big deal about it, he was really pissed.

I got Dweez's autograph after the show. He said he was going back stage and would be out in about 5 to 10 to sign stuff. He did. He signed my stub. I never got to try to hand Frank a US Bong though. That takes a special person.

I've gotten a few other set lists form other shows. I never stole them though. Unless taking them after the show is over is thievery?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, powerwagonjohn said:

My copy is on the way, I even sprung for the limited Purple Edition. I have over 1000 LP's and most all of Franks stuff.  I am glad you posted this Sgt.

Thanks John

No problem. I counted my LP's about 3 months ago and was just shy of 1000 by about 5. I may have bought 3 since then. I've been collecting since I was 8 or 9. Started with The Beatles then I discovered Kiss and I was hooked till Dynasty. I got into Zappa around 9th grade. 

I like Zappa, I just don't have very much at all.  I had Freak Out on LP, but it disappeared.  I have Lumpy Gravy on LP and CD.  That album took some getting used to, but, over time, it kind of grew on me.  And, I've got the CD single of his "Stairway to Heaven".  I need to dig that out and put it in the car.

I need to get some more Frank.  I think he was underrated as a guitar player.

Edited by Mr. Natural
to add the "underrated as a guitar player" statement

23 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

I like Zappa, I just don't have very much at all.  I had Freak Out on LP, but it disappeared.  I have Lumpy Gravy on LP and CD.  That album took some getting used to, but, over time, it kind of grew on me.  And, I've got the CD single of his "Stairway to Heaven".  I need to dig that out and put it in the car.

I need to get some more Frank.  I think he was underrated as a guitar player.

I listen to Lumpy Gravy about every 5 years and then I remember why I only listen to it every 5 years (its the same with Zep - In Through The Out Door). Pigs and Ponies. The way I see it Barry.

Frank did Stairway on The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life. I think Ike Willis sings it. It also on the Final US Concert as well. Yeah I get to hear Stairway again.

Everyone needs more Frank but not everyone wants it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Mine showed today as well.

I hope this is the version where he had the horn section do Jimmy Page's solo note for note and then he just let loose on that Stratocaster.  It was jaw-dropping, that big nosed Sicilian could play circles around just about everybody else.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Mine showed today as well.

I hope this is the version where he had the horn section do Jimmy Page's solo note for note and then he just let loose on that Stratocaster.  It was jaw-dropping, that big nosed Sicilian could play circles around just about everybody else.

Yes he could, but most think he was a clown who wrote songs about dogs peeing. Their loss. He played the yellow Strat the 3 times I saw him. I found out about a half and hour in to the start of the show of the '81 You Are What You Is Tour (by looking in the news paper and seeing that he was playing that night) that he was in Berkeley. It's a 45 minute ride from San Jose to Berkeley. I was pissed. Had to wait until '84 to see him.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/18/2021 at 10:14 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Franks final US date was recorded and today is the release date of it.  He had big band for this tour. It’s called Zappa '88: The Last US Show.

I need to get on Amazon and order it. The band had 13 members including Frank.

He was awsome   My fav was   "Billy+ the mountian"  Eythel was a tree growing out of his shoulder

Edited by 10K-DB
rabbits
  • Like 1