Gibson Brands Forums

Forum Fomat Change ... again

fortyearspickn

On 8/30/2021 at 10:48 AM, Whitefang said:

Cool how that works.  [omg]

I'm at an age where things concerning computer capabilities that much younger people take for granted and are routine for them are still fascinating to me.  [wink]

Whitefang

In the same place and of the same age.    I'm afraid computers and phones will always remain contraptions to me.  Ouch.

Edited by Hall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Just discovered that pictures are not embedding either. Tried a straight paste and also via the link button.

When you want to embed an image, you need to find the button that says "Other Media" in the comment box (lower right-hand corner).  Post your Imgur link in there and add the 'jpeg' extension to the link and you shouldn't have any problem.  I could never embed images by simply copying the Imgur link to my comments - always used the 'Other Media' control to do this. 

15 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

When you want to embed an image, you need to find the button that says "Other Media" in the comment box (lower right-hand corner).  Post your Imgur link in there and add the 'jpeg' extension to the link and you shouldn't have any problem.  I could never embed images by simply copying the Imgur link to my comments - always used the 'Other Media' control to do this. 

Imgur has changed. I cant access what you describe. 'Images' used to take me straight to my pics but now I just get 'Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn'. The only way I can see my pics is to select 'posts'. The only action to select a pic is the 'share' button bottom left. When I do that and post I get this.

Ib07PBu.jpeg

update: I have just poked around and found that 'join(?)' gets me back to the familiar screens. Then I can use 'direct link' to get a usable embed on here. I have looked carefully and dont see the "Other Media" option anywhere. 

So I'm back. It isnt a forum problem after all. Its some weird stuff going on with Imgur. Apologies to Gibson. 

• Haha 1

I'm  sick and tired of  companies that allow nerdy, needy computer geeks full rein on their websites - where they make esoteric "find the hidden passageway'  changes to what we've learned in terms of navigating.   I'm guessing they're frustrated 'gamers'.  It's bad enough each website is different, and each computer works differently with the website -  these people stumble on a new quirk, then gaggle to figure out how to put in into the website they have control over,  so they can sit back and pat each other on the back for having confounded a 'captive audience'.  

Picture if you will, a world where  the DoT changes the hi ways every couple of years: - Re-routes them and leaves the old signs up.   YOU have to figure out how to get to work,  or which Interstate takes you to the shore for your 3 day weekend.  Picture, if you will,  a word where your Grocery Store clerks take it upon themselves to re-arrange where they stock the shelves.   Budweiser use to be in the back left corner.  Now it's in between the soup and the turnip greens.    Couple that with Budweiser changing their packaging - using green and orange milk cartons instead of the normal red, white and blue beer cans.   Or if Chevy hid the windshield wiper switch in the glove compartment, and didn't put a label on it.   Or computers that have 4 different ways of doing saving a screen image,  none of which are 'intuitive'.  

Of course - it's all in the name of 'progress'.   Making things 'better'.   And, if you Resist Change -  you are resisting Progress.    Hard to argue against 'Progress.'    Especially when you're arguing with some anonymous clone who has declared himself  'Keeper of the Light'.    

40 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'm  sick and tired of  companies that allow nerdy, needy computer geeks full rein on their websites - where they make esoteric "find the hidden passageway'  changes to what we've learned in terms of navigating.   I'm guessing they're frustrated 'gamers'.  It's bad enough each website is different, and each computer works differently with the website -  these people stumble on a new quirk, then gaggle to figure out how to put in into the website they have control over,  so they can sit back and pat each other on the back for having confounded a 'captive audience'.  

Picture if you will, a world where  the DoT changes the hi ways every couple of years: - Re-routes them and leaves the old signs up.   YOU have to figure out how to get to work,  or which Interstate takes you to the shore for your 3 day weekend.  Picture, if you will,  a word where your Grocery Store clerks take it upon themselves to re-arrange where they stock the shelves.   Budweiser use to be in the back left corner.  Now it's in between the soup and the turnip greens.    Couple that with Budweiser changing their packaging - using green and orange milk cartons instead of the normal red, white and blue beer cans.   Or if Chevy hid the windshield wiper switch in the glove compartment, and didn't put a label on it.   Or computers that have 4 different ways of doing saving a screen image,  none of which are 'intuitive'.  

Of course - it's all in the name of 'progress'.   Making things 'better'.   And, if you Resist Change -  you are resisting Progress.    Hard to argue against 'Progress.'    Especially when you're arguing with some anonymous clone who has declared himself  'Keeper of the Light'.    

Lol welcome to my world haha! Just wait until you get a load of Linux and what it takes to do things Windows/Apple makes trivial for its users. Although, the fact that my OS doesn’t spy on me is worth the cost to me, but of course everyone’s different. I do agree that changing things for the sake of change is outright annoying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Picture, if you will,  a word where your Grocery Store clerks take it upon themselves to re-arrange where they stock the shelves.   Budweiser use to be in the back left corner.  Now it's in between the soup and the turnip greens.   

Actually, that IS happening at the Meijer I buy my groceries.   But it isn't really the clerks doing the changing as many of them are also griping about it.  For the last several years now it's been a challenge each time I go there to find what I'm looking for since I've become aware it's a sure bet that many of those items won't be where they were the last time I bought them at that store.   Equally frustrating is their tendency to discontinue carrying items that I routinely bought there for years.   And it isn't because those items are no longer produced as I found them in other stores (one minute Cream of Wheat is a prime example).   And that's just a grocery store.

What y'all are going on about is even more frustrating for an old technophobe like me.   I've always been an "ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy who's learned over the years that "New and improved"  isn't always true.   I use the bulk of my computer skills and knowledge just getting from forum to forum and sending e-mails.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

My (least) favorite:   The News site I go to every morning and often sign into to make comments ...     Randomly will not allow me to get to the sign on screen on my MacBook.   I can get to it and sign on using my iPad and my iPhone.  But on the MacBook - the sign on page will just come up blank, or not at all for a couple of weeks, and then MAGICALLY,  all of a sudden it will come up one day when I try clicking 'log on'.   It is not the News Site people - it is something specific to my MacBook.     Further  -  this has never happened on my wife's MacBook,  where she never makes comments.....
I won't  go into what I think is the root cause - because it has happened so often, I'm sure it isn't a 'technical glitch' in a program.  It's some computer nerd who has  an  'algorithm'.