Gibson Brands Forums

Too old to cut it!

NotaCGP

I bought a Les Paul Jr at a pawn shop in 1961 for $100. I was 15 years old.  I already owned "A Million Dollars Worth of Twang" from Duane Eddy so  I decided I would become a guitar player in a few weeks. Well 60 years later, I still can do my standards such as the opening lick to Daytripper, La Bamba and Walk Don't Run, (gotta have something ready when you go to a guitar store)  but I still am not a guitar player.  So I spent too much money  (for my ability) on a guitar and I figure now that I am semi retired, and almost dead, why don't I try to develop a little.  Spending more on a guitar than I ever have, will (hopefully) drive me to use this thing, and maybe - just maybe, being a better product it will be easier for me to master, and keep at it.  I will probably ask some stupid questions, since after 60 years of owning various guitars - I am still a beginner, but bear with me.  I spent my life in broadcast engineering, so if anyone has a tube amp question, maybe I can answer yours. I will not laugh at your question, maybe you won't laugh at mine.

• Like 1

As they use to say "keep on truckin' ". You have the right attitude. I'm a lot you. I'm real close to 71 years old and I'm slowly trying to get better. Last month I bought  my "dream guitar" hoping it will help me get better easier and a little faster. Keep us posted on your progress and equipment  purchases. Hope to hear from you soon.

No idea how your LP Jr. plays, but a '61 is a pretty cool guitar.  Maybe instead of spending money on a new guitar hoping it will help you improve your playing you should refurbish the LP.  Make sure the neck is straight and has proper relief, that it intonates well, lube up the tuner pegs and make sure they are turning smoothly.  Go over the wiring of the pickup and pots and get rid of any scratchy noisy stuff going on there - oil that fingerboard maybe, put a fresh set of strings on then some cleaner and polish and you're good to go.  There are a lot of guys on here that would love to find a '61 Jr. and certainly be willing to pay a lot more than the $100 you have invested.   Regardless, have fun on your new journey.

Just like it's never too late to want to learn, you're never too old to want to play.

These days there is a lot of info for beginners out there to be found, and tons of videos.  A true guitar player is one who plays a guitar, not judged by ability but desire and love for the instrument.  Some of us play for years and may not be better than a "beginner level" but really who cares - just play man.

Welcome to the forum, all inquiries welcome. 🤘🎸🤘

• 2 weeks later...