Gibson Brands Forums

Cases vs Hanging Your Guitar

NighthawkChris

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Pillows are a bit much, but maybe a small patch of velour where the body would contact the wall would help.  And let your wife choose the color.  [wink]

Whitefang

yea  I was kidding!!

actually,   indoor/outdoor carpet remnants cut into squares will do the job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Maybe a good quilt or three?  They make some pretty good looking ones if you hunt around.

That's a good idea, a quilt for each guitar.   In fact....

why not put it in a case........?

[laugh]

Nice pics btw.  My rooms aren't that tidy - ever.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:24 AM, Mantastic said:

I'm curious about that.  How much did Gibson charge for the headstock repair?

I talked to Leslie...she told me it cost her $900 for Gibson to fix the broken headstock.

Seems both cheap and very expensive at the same time!

14 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I talked to Leslie...she told me it cost her $900 for Gibson to fix the broken headstock.

Seems both cheap and very expensive at the same time!

$900.00 seems very expensive for a broken headstock repair.

Did that price include shipping and grief counselling?

RBSinTo

3 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

$900.00 seems very expensive for a broken headstock repair.

Did that price include shipping and grief counselling?

RBSinTo

She didn't say....I suspect insurance was involved since it was broken during the Napa Earthquake a few years ago....I can't imagine it didn't include shipping.

I should get a photo of the headstock so everyone can see just how good a job they did!

I fixed the headstock on my Jubilee, (broken on an Amtrac train maybe 30-33 years ago)..... Elmer's Wood Glue and some clamps....no dowels or anything.....but the crack is obvious....not so on the Gibson repair.  (but both play beautifully!)

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

".............(but both play beautifully!)

Rob,

This in my non-collectors opinion is the most important aspect of the repair:

How the instrument sounds and plays afterward.

My 2001 j-45 had a broken headstock (that essentially mirrors yours) that was repaired while owned by someone else. I have no idea whether it was professionally done or not, however I suspect it wasn't. It is visable but not as much as on your Jubilee, probably only because the wood is darker on my guitar's neck and headstock.

But the repair is stable (as the seller assured me, and a respected Luthier here in Toronto confirmed), and it plays well and sounds very nice.

And because I am a function over form person, my critera were met. 

I wouldn't ever consider spending  $900.00 for repairs to make it invisable.

To my mind, no point.

RBSinTo

7 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rob,

This in my non-collectors opinion is the most important aspect of the repair:

How the instrument sounds and plays afterward.

My 2001 j-45 had a broken headstock (that essentially mirrors yours) that was repaired while owned by someone else. I have no idea whether it was professionally done or not, however I suspect it wasn't. It is visable but not as much as on your Jubilee, probably only because the wood is darker on my guitar's neck and headstock.

But the repair is stable (as the seller assured me, and a respected Luthier here in Toronto confirmed), and it plays well and sounds very nice.

And because I am a function over form person, my critera were met. 

I wouldn't ever consider spending  $900.00 for repairs to make it invisable.

To my mind, no point.

RBSinTo

I kind of with you.   Since this is the ONLY 'Bird 12-String Gibson made in 2010,  I'm sure Leslie was heartbroken over it's damage, and wanted it to be "perfect" in her eyes.   I suspect  repair was wholly or partially paid by her insurance company...so in that case I'd let Gibson do it..... And I suspect it wasn't 'perfect' enough for her, so she sold it to me, (I think I paid a fair price for a well-repaired special guitar).   Now, the Jubilee is another story..... when I bought it, it was already greatly beat-up...didn't even have a case.   It was my only acoustic at the time  (early 70's) and over time became my 'beater'.   I never cared what it looked like, but it needed to play well....it can't hold up to the Dreads in volume, but it's a GREAT guitar...and I love it.   The repair I made has lasted a really long time.... but if it broke again, I'd probably take it to my luthier and have him do it up better, (better = more robust).

Everything I’ve heard about a Gibson repaired guitar has been good other than it costs a lot of course. These sort of things is always a balance whether or not repairing a guitar makes economical sense. If your $300 guitar has issues that will cost more than that to fix then just buy another guitar. If your custom shop Gibson has something that costs a lot to fix, might be worth the trouble… Not as easy to replace a $5k guitar like the $300 guitar would be. Either way going with Gibson to repair a guitar should be a good choice - again from all I’ve read. 

16 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Everything I’ve heard about a Gibson repaired guitar has been good other than it costs a lot of course. These sort of things is always a balance whether or not repairing a guitar makes economical sense. If your $300 guitar has issues that will cost more than that to fix then just buy another guitar. If your custom shop Gibson has something that costs a lot to fix, might be worth the trouble… Not as easy to replace a $5k guitar like the $300 guitar would be. Either way going with Gibson to repair a guitar should be a good choice - again from all I’ve read. 

Yes the original manufacturer would be a good choice, but I would never consider sending a guitar to Nazarith, or Bozeman for repairs when we have at least two excellent Toronto guitar stores here with very respected Luthiers who would do them equally well, faster, at less cost, and without any shipping to consider.

If Martin, Gibson and a host of other manufacturers think highly enough of these stores to authorize them to sell and service their products, the advantages to using them locally to do so makes perfect sense to me.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Yes the original manufacturer would be a good choice, but I would never consider sending a guitar to Nazarith, or Bozeman for repairs when we have at least two excellent Toronto guitar stores here with very respected Luthiers who would do them equally well, faster, at less cost, and without any shipping to consider.

If Martin, Gibson and a host of other manufacturers think highly enough of these stores to authorize them to sell and service their products, the advantages to using them locally to do so makes perfect sense to me.

RBSinTo

If you know a person who is skilled - and there are those out there that are - to do professional repairs close enough where shipping is not necessary, that's not a bad option either.  In fact, for the points you made, probably a better choice to go locally then to the manufacturer.  But just saying that if someone wants to pony up the money and all that for a guitar they absolutely need repaired by Gibson, they probably won't be sorry with what they get back.  Basically kudos to Gibson on this note, but again, if someone around you is knowledgeable enough - and skilled enough - to repair your guitar, by all means.  I have a guy near me I ask to help me out with things I cannot do to fix guitars.  Does a great job and has worked on a few of my Gibsons too.  Worth every penny... 

I one time considered getting a Nighthawk I won on an eBay auction for cheap restored by Gibson.  It wasn't going to be cheap - probably the cost of the guitar new - so I declined and just resold the body after I stripped the finish off of it.  Sold real fast too...  Had a repaired headstock break when it went out the door - why guitar was so cheap in the auction.  I have enough guitars and this one didn't need to be hanging around.  The guy who bought it from me sent me a pic after he finished it.  Turned out pretty nice; glad it went to a good home. 

4 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Anyone know a good guy that can get rid of stucco on my walls?  This thread has made me feel like I need to get rid of this crap on my walls now to want to hang my guitars onto once again.  Thanks!  😂 

Maybe Gibson can send someone to de-stuccify the room

For what they'll charge, you'll never be able to tell the walls had stucco on them.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

lol apparently I'll need Gibson to handle all the dings the stucco balls gave the guitars.  From what I have read and seen, getting this crap off the walls is a mess!  I'll hire someone to do this one.  Luckily this is only in one smaller room in the basement - the rest of my walls at home don't have this crap on them.  I think the other people who lived here before us wanted to try something new...  who knows, it was a bad idea... 

Edited by NighthawkChris