Gibson Brands Forums

Fun Times with Craigslist

NighthawkChris

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

If you’re the Seller of an Electric Guitar or Amp where would you meet up with a Craig’s List Buyer? How would you handle the expected Demo?

If I was the seller of an electric guitar, I have a Vox DA-5 amp that runs on batteries so I would have that covered.  Or there are converters/inverters that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter of a car/truck and have  standard 110V outlets where a standard guitar amp could be plugged in and demo’d.

Yeah all is well in the neighborhood - successful transaction! Just in time because my car is getting repaired at the shop and it ain’t gonna be cheap haha! Since I am dad most of the time these days, I can’t afford to spend time fixing my car and working the 8-5 shift along with parenting so have to pay for things that I could fix. There’s just a lot of things that needed attention so dumping the earned cash into the car… I digress though and glad that as strange as this experience seemed to me at first, it turned out alright for both of us. 

Thanks all for the helpful input I appreciate talking this one out!

Edited by NighthawkChris

5 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

If I was the seller of an electric guitar, I have a Vox DA-5 amp that runs on batteries so I would have that covered.  Or there are converters/inverters that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter of a car/truck and have  standard 110V outlets where a standard guitar amp could be plugged in and demo’d.

You’ll meet a Stranger in a Parking lot with your Guitar? 

Edited by Larsongs

I will say here have been my precautions when selling guitars via CL. I have 2 large dogs that will defend me if I am perceived as being threatened. As well personal protection, but I don’t open the door for you strapped. I of course do phone call vetting before inviting over to test my guitar on my amp. I also have less “hostile” methods where I have cameras that would identify visitors if need be. I also have nearly every piece of gear worth the trouble insured, so if I was getting robbed, I can freely give up the crap and get some compensation. 

I never want an issue to happen during a deal as I’m an honest fella and I just want you to leave my place happy with what you bought from me. It’s like going to the store up the street that has precautionary equipment in case that guy shows up. I follow suit essentially. 

I’ve used CL for decades and never been ripped off, threatened, etc. I was surprised I had this much issues this go around, but in reality was a simple thing to resolve and a sale was made happily. I’ve had several people stop by my house and such where again, nothing has happened to me, my family, or any of my stuff. If you don’t know how to vet out people then you have issues probably. I’ve bought a lot of great stuff on CL and sold some stuff. I’ve made a lot more money on CL than using Reverb or selling my crap to local stores - and of course GC… So not saying to go all out for CL, but the anxiety of using it is overblown IMHO. I do agree it is smarter to be safe than sorry, but I am not afraid to invite someone to my place if they convince me they are legit on a phone call. I believe most people aren’t looking to steal your crap. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

I agree. Much depends on where you live and making wise use of whatever intuition your age and experience has given you.  I've got the big dog thing, cameras, and fail-safe tools, but reading the nuances of interactions with strangers before harm gets in your face is a first line wall.

I once, 7 or 8 yrs. ago, threw my house and land (upstate NY) on CL, listing on LI, NYC, and northern NJ.  While very entertaining, I only showed the property once, to a lovely older local woman with her niece in tow.  One of the more interesting window shoppers was a Syrian single mom, who was a former health minister for the Assad gov't.  I was able to verify, and we communicated via her 30 min/day use of UN provided internet at the Damascus refugee camp she was sequestered in.  She stated she had stashed $160,000 and wanted to make the buy.  I had to explain the process of closings, lawyers, banks, payouts, etc., and as she became more frustrated, I jokingly suggested that if a suitcase with my name on it containing $160,000 showed up at the Albany airport, I'd pack my stuff and leave a key.  The result was a 10 paragraph jihadist rant calling me infidel (which I am proud of being) and accompanying threats.  For a couple days I half-expected to see a line of black Toyota pickups coming up the driveway.  That would be when the fun started.

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I've purchased a number of camera lenses from Craig's List sellers, always met them in local coffee shops, and never had any problems

The one physically larger and more expensive purchase I made was the j-45, and I met the seller (who worked nearby) in a commercial parking lot to see and try out the guitar.

After agreeing to buy it, he accompanied me to a local branch of my bank, and waited in the parking lot while I withdrew the cash. He gave me a simple hand-written bill of sale and we parted ways, both smiling.

A little common sense and courtesy can go a long way to make a smooth transaction.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

I've purchased a number of camera lenses from Craig's List sellers, always met them in local coffee shops, and never had any problems

The one physically larger and more expensive purchase I made was the j-45, and I met the seller (who worked nearby) in a commercial parking lot to see and try out the guitar.

After agreeing to buy it, he accompanied me to a local branch of my bank, and waited in the parking lot while I withdrew the cash. He gave me a simple hand-written bill of sale and we parted ways, both smiling.

A little common sense and courtesy can go a long way to make a smooth transaction.

RBSinTo

Not talking about Cameras or Acoustic Guitars.. Please stay on topic.

I’d like to use CL if I can figure out a good way… Reverb, EBay & GBase are too expensive…

I can’t take an Electric Guitar & Amp to a Coffee Shop, Police Station for a Buyer to try out.. I’ve had an entire Studio full of Gear stolen in the past.. I don’t trust any stranger.. Might be fine while you’re there but could be a disaster sometime when you’re not home….

I do have Electric Guitars & Amps I’d like to sell.. I’m looking for a better way to…..

49 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’d like to use CL if I can figure out a good way… Reverb, EBay & GBase are too expensive…

I can’t take an Electric Guitar & Amp to a Coffee Shop, Police Station for a Buyer to try out.. I’ve had an entire Studio full of Gear stolen in the past.. I don’t trust any stranger.. Might be fine while you’re there but could be a disaster sometime when you’re not home….

I do have Electric Guitars & Amps I’d like to sell.. I’m looking for a better way to…..

Your rudeness, lack of trust, and inflexibility have made me completely lose interest in trying to be helpful. I'm out on this one.

RBSinTo

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Your rudeness, lack of trust, and inflexibility have made me completely lose interest in trying to be helpful. I'm out on this one.

RBSinTo

There was no intent to be rude. My apologies. Knowing how far Threads can drift off track is why I asked, politely, if we could stay on topic..  As for lack of trust.. Yeah! Based on the past experience I shared..

Edited by Larsongs

4 hours ago, jedzep said:

I agree. Much depends on where you live and making wise use of whatever intuition your age and experience has given you.  I've got the big dog thing, cameras, and fail-safe tools, but reading the nuances of interactions with strangers before harm gets in your face is a first line wall.

I once, 7 or 8 yrs. ago, threw my house and land (upstate NY) on CL, listing on LI, NYC, and northern NJ.  While very entertaining, I only showed the property once, to a lovely older local woman with her niece in tow.  One of the more interesting window shoppers was a Syrian single mom, who was a former health minister for the Assad gov't.  I was able to verify, and we communicated via her 30 min/day use of UN provided internet at the Damascus refugee camp she was sequestered in.  She stated she had stashed $160,000 and wanted to make the buy.  I had to explain the process of closings, lawyers, banks, payouts, etc., and as she became more frustrated, I jokingly suggested that if a suitcase with my name on it containing $160,000 showed up at the Albany airport, I'd pack my stuff and leave a key.  The result was a 10 paragraph jihadist rant calling me infidel (which I am proud of being) and accompanying threats.  For a couple days I half-expected to see a line of black Toyota pickups coming up the driveway.  That would be when the fun started.

Actually, if you look up the definition of "infidel" you'll find it only means someone who believes in a different religion that someone else does.  And according to that, I married an infidel, since I'm an Episcopalian and my wife was born Catholic.  Same with the ex, as she was Lutheran.  [wink]   

Jed, that joking suggestion was a bit in bad taste, but too, the woman's reaction was over the top.  And did she actually believe selling/buying a house is no different than selling stuff at a yard sale?   But then,  you might have suggested a huge cash transaction with stating after the cash is in hand you'll sign over the property on a quitclaim deed.

3 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

@jedzep I’m a proud infidel too. I wish someone would acknowledge me as one. I lived in Dearborn MI for many years, and I know all about them kind. Glad I don’t live around that sand crap anymore. 

"Sand crap"?

That's quite a generalized disparaging  remark.    Now, I've never lived in Dearborn, but am quite familiar with it.  Orville Hubbard must be really spinning in his grave at the result of this past election, eh? [wink]

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

The topic being the problem someone had selling an item on Craigslist.   Personally, I've never dealt with Craigslist until 10 years ago, when I did a "walkaway" from a house and had to find somewhere to rent fast!   Found this place.  And started actions to purchase it just a month or two before my wife died when the landlord said he wanted to sell it and get out of the landlord thing.  As far as selling anything, I haven't had anything I wanted to sell for quite a spell, and then it was an old freezer I just put a card up on one of those "bulletin" type boards you used to see at the entrances and exits of supermarkets or such.  

Years ago('71 to be exact) a guy offered to buy my car which wasn't for sale.  But(get this) because he was an uncle of a guy I knew, he told me if I let him have the car, he would pay me the money the following week!  [flapper]  Asking that friend about it, he told me I could toss my car further than I could ever trust his uncle!  Proving you never needed Craigslist to have scammers come around.  Craigslist just gave them an extra venue in which to ply their trade.

Whitefang

18 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I would only meet in a safe location, most likely one with surveillance cameras.  Plus, being retired law enforcement and carrying a concealed firearm at all times gives me an additional feeling of security.  

I sold an electric Parker guitar on the Parker guitar forum.

I photographed every defect, from the minor dings to the fret wear. Some defects were so slight, I had to point them out with arrows.

I was complimented on how thorough the description was, and sold it in 2 days, for the price I was asking.

When I bought my first Parker, Musician's Friend sent the wrong guitar. Instead of a $1,300 Parker, they send a close to $5,000 Parker. I tried to return it for the one I ordered, and they said if I like the other one, I could keep it instead.

I waited 2 months (advice from the US Government) then put the new one on eBay. Sold it right away for about $3,500. Figuring shipping and insuring, I got enough to pay Musician's Friend, buy the Parker I wanted from another dealer (making the Parker I bought free), and had about $800 left over. Best deal I ever made.

Those were the only times I've ever sold a guitar. Usually they are pretty beat up when I'm done with them (one-nighters are hard on gear) so I give them away.

If you are selling an electric guitar that is a brand the customer knows, and you've gone out of your way to show every little problem, including the insignificant ones, the buyer typically doesn't have to plug it in to hear it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫