Gibson Brands Forums

1955 LG-1

tpbiii

I found this amazing condition 1955 LG-1 in a local shop for what I thought was a good price so I fell off the wagon and bought it.  It was only in the shop a few hours.  It is the same model of my college guitar -- stolen many years ago. 

hHAcF4j.jpgeZDU6er.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

• Like 3

H2Zfptj.jpgzSrJpR5.jpg

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Ooh!  A post-1950 Gibson.  My first Gibson was an LG1.   Never knew the year of the build.  Other than finding a bill of sale in the case, such things were not possible to determine back in the day so the best I could do was 1955-59.  

Yea, me too.  Here are some other things I have said about it.

Here is something different from what I usually post. Sort of going back to my teenage years. I found the EXC+ time capsule 1955 LG-1 in a music shop for a price I thought was reasonable. My first guitar was a late 50s LG-1 -- it was my main guitar for more than a decade. Here are some pictures of the guitar and the younger me

Picture from c. 1963. That was the Folk Revival era -- it was clearly a sing-a-long because of the song word sheets. It could have been any of maybe 50 songs. The pictures were taken at my Fraternity House at MIT -- a little music and a lot of study! The strap was borrowed from a Polaroid camera bag. I skipped Friday dinner for an entire semester to buy the guitar. Oh to be young again

Let's pick,

-Time

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

i LOVE that photo! MIT in '63, you were right in the thick of it with as Bob Dylan called it, the likes of Rick Von Schmidt and the rolling green pastures of Harvard

I arrived at 17 in 61.  Club 47 was in walking distance.  I left in 70.  There were folk v3nues == big and small -- everywhere.  It was indeed a time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I arrived at 17 in 61.  Club 47 was in walking distance.  I left in 70.  There were folk v3nues == big and small -- everywhere.  It was indeed a time.

Club Passim (nee Club 47) is still there, and one of the best rock venues in the city is nearby (The Sinclair) but everything else is banks now. 

5 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

Club Passim (nee Club 47) is still there, and one of the best rock venues in the city is nearby (The Sinclair) but everything else is banks now. 

Yea, my favorite is the Tuesday night bluegrass SHOW/JAM  at the CANTAB in Central Square.  My late wife and I use to jam there occasionally when we were in town.   In a very real sense that is a direct decedent of the HILLYBILLY RANCH where the Lilly Brothers played in the combat zone in the 50s and 60s and many of the people involved are related to people who hung out at the HILLBILLY RANCH.

This picture was from a few years ago.  I plan to do it again if the situation arises.😀

rO25Ryo.jpg

-TOM