Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird ID/Custom pickguard?

90slpc

Looks similar to a Gibson Sparrow guard.  But I think its a aftermarket guard.  The footprint is off and the art work does not go together on the guard.  

kind of looks like pigeons.  

Edited by slimt

50 minutes ago, 90slpc said:

Ha! Sorta does looks like pigeons now that you mention it.

Good eye on the footprint. I still like the simplicity of it. 

Thanks for chiming in!

Its not a bad thing.   It serves the purpose. And it looks like it belongs on it.     

Gibson though does not sell Pickguards, trussrod covers. So getting an original would be tough.    Not sure why.   

20 hours ago, slimt said:

Gibson though does not sell Pickguards, trussrod covers. So getting an original would be tough.    Not sure why.   

It does seem strange since they do for the electric guitars. Maybe it's the headaches they would have with the installation liability so they stick to the hardware that is replacement screw-on variety. They do sell the truss rod covers, blank, standard, studio and Les Paul custom

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Gear/Hardware

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

It does seem strange since they do for the electric guitars. Maybe it's the headaches they would have with the installation liability so they stick to the hardware that is replacement screw-on variety. They do sell the truss rod covers, blank, standard, studio and Les Paul custom

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Gear/Hardware

Ya. I asked my Gibson dealer to  get me a wide white TRC for my CS 94 SJ200   . I would even provide the serial number.  My dealer contacted Gibson.  And it was a flat NO.   Kind of pissed me off.    Spend thousands on Gibson acoustics  And get rejected on a TRC.   

On 1/31/2022 at 4:07 AM, slimt said:

Not sure why.   

7 hours ago, slimt said:

Spend thousands on Gibson acoustics  And get rejected on a TRC.   

But imagine the herds of hustlers & dreamers who'ld get trcs and guards for then to slam them on all kinds of fakes and counterfeits.                                                                                                                                                                                                             It would be a mess - and create chaos on the second hand market with genuine Gibson flags planted all over.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, slimt said:

Its not a bad thing.   It serves the purpose. And it looks like it belongs on it.     

They do sell P/G’s and TRC’s, you just have to buy the guitar attached to it to get them.

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Isn't a pigeon just an overweight dove that lives off handouts in the park ? 

They identify as Doves though and don’t tell them they can’t. B-adtards will gang up on you and steel all your bird seed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/1/2022 at 8:36 AM, DanvillRob said:

Isn't this the Sparrow guard?

Open photo

Yes, of course.   We had a thread here several years ago.  No one liked the p/g one bit. Consensus was it looked like a cartoon drawn by an 8 year old.  But, as I recall - the guitar itself was pretty good on paper.  

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yes, of course.   We had a thread here several years ago.  No one liked the p/g one bit. Consensus was it looked like a cartoon drawn by an 8 year old.  But, as I recall - the guitar itself was pretty good on paper.  

Wasn't that the looong and fantastic thread where the designer of the motif showed up dropped a few lines after almost everyone had taken rude shots at the little innocent Bird.                                                                                                                                  And proudly just claimed that he liked it a lot.

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I tend to agree…but I like the looks of the guitar.   

59 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Sarge - I think it was probably the sounds that Eagles and Hawks make (scary loud screeching) that may have kept Gibson away from naming guitars after them.

I think your absolutely right. And the Hummingbird is well chosen - it simply hovers lightly over dripping honey. 

Btw. let's not forget Falcon was taken by Gretsch while that the eagle already was about to land on the Epiphone Excellente. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

I think your absolutely right. And the Hummingbird is well chosen - it simply hovers lightly over dripping honey. 

Btw. let's not forget Falcon was taken by Gretsch while that the eagle already was about to land on the Epiphone Excellente. 

EM7 hummingbirds have nothing to do with honey. It’s an insect that makes it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

EM7 hummingbirds have nothing to do with honey. It’s an insect that makes it.

Many years ago somebody characterized the Hummingbird sound as honey glazed. The phrase became so popular it kind of  wore out.                                                                                                                                     A member here then refreshed it all by introducing the term nectar, which also caught on. If you look back on the pages, I'm pretty sure it was the Acoustic Monk. . 

But I'm in another mood right now, excuse me - someone just got killed a few blocks away. Shot down on a favorite street of mine. . 

5 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Many years ago somebody characterized the Hummingbird sound as honey glazed. The phrase became so popular it kind of  wore out.                                                                                                                                     A member here then refreshed it all by introducing the term nectar, which also caught on. If you look back on the pages, I'm pretty sure it was the Acoustic Monk. . 

But I'm in another mood right now, excuse me - someone just got killed a few blocks away. Shot down on a favorite street of mine. . 

Wow that’s not good.

Guess this thread is about to be hijacked!    Many years ago, I owned some rental properties....

Usually on my home from work, I'd run by a few of them to make sure everything was okay.

I sometimes would take home a standard white GMC 3/4 ton Van, (was a service truck).

So I turned down the street one of the properties was on, and there were several Sheriffs Cars parked on and next to the street,

There was on deputy standing in the middle of the street, about 10-12 feet in front of the driveway to the rental property...

He motioned for me to turn into the property across the street from the rental property.

I shook my head and pointed toward the driveway I wanted to drive down....the deputy shook his head "no" and pointed across the street again.

Again, I shook my head and pointed towards the driveway I wanted to drive down.

Out of frustration....the deputy walked up to the driver's window of the van.... pointed toward the house across the street and said,

"The body is in THAT house!"  

I said, "Look man, I just want to go down the driveway across the street  to check on my units down there."

He said, "Oh....you're not to coroner?"

From that point on, that white service van was called "The Coroner's Van".

Edited by DanvillRob