Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone with vintage Fender expertise (Jaguar)

kidblast

I have been given what looks to be a 1973/74 Jaguar.  

I have lots of photos I can share from my drop box account

It's a train wreck.  No pickups, neck is destroyed, most of the electronics are probably toast.

The body is fine, I'm considering restoring it.

If anyone has any experience with tracking down the pedigree and a good source for a rebuild,  PM me please

thx!

/KB

10 minutes ago, kidblast said:

It's a train wreck.  No pickups, neck is destroyed, most of the electronics are probably toast.

If anyone has any experience with tracking down the pedigree and a good source for a rebuild,  PM me please

thx!

/KB

If you need a neck Warmoth is top notch. Angela’s Fender has tons of Fender parts.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Strat-talk.com is a good place to start.  Plenty of armchair Fender experts that know this stuff beyond reason.  Plenty of experience re-building such things.  Plenty that would take it off yer hands if were to wisely decide to let it go.

rct

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

thx!

/KB

I had a 1963 or 64 Jaguar back in 'olden days'.... LOVED it.... WAY BETTER than a Strat.

I think it'd be worth restoring.... I suspect you can find an actual Jaguar  neck....be nice to find a maple one!

This is not a Jag, but a Jazzmaster. I bought every part and peice and built it from scratch when I played those 'Lectrics. Body and neck are Warmoth. Can't remember what it cost to make this. Less than a new one though.

D72D4GH.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Bought this on line. Its a Fender '95 Am. Std Jazz Bass and the original Fender neck was so warped it was unplayable, so I had to get a replacement. This is when I learned about Warmoth. Birdseye Maple, black binding, and black block inlays. Geddy would weep if he played this. The bass cost $650 and the jizz lobbers that sold it to me never disclosed the neck was warped. I complained and they bought the neck. $450 out of their pocket for a total cash profit on their end of $200.

WKfCLvI.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

47 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

This is not a Jag, but a Jazzmaster. I bought every part and peice and built it from scratch when I played those 'Lectrics. Body and neck are Warmoth. Can't remember what it cost to make this. Less than a new one though.

D72D4GH.jpg

Another guitar I LOVE!

Geesh Chief, those are very nice builds you have there.  Impressive stuff..  thanks for sharing. 

And, thanks for the advice Ron and Rob  I think it's a worthwhile project, I've never done something like this..   Why not?

I have some photos, I will drop a few here. 

The neck certainly has to be replaced which is a shame because it was one of the bound necks with the block inlays and large headstock and rosewood board.  

I found one on ebay...

...for $1,500,, 

....nope!

I did scout out Warmouth and some of the Fender replacement necks, they have the standard ones.  so that's a definite option.

Replacing that original one may be tricky.  I don't see any of the bound necks with the blocks so far.

4 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Geesh Chief, those are very nice builds you have there.  Impressive stuff..  thanks for sharing. 

And, thanks for the advice Ron and Rob  I think it's a worthwhile project, I've never done something like this..   Why not?

The neck certainly has to be replaced which is a shame because it was one of the bound necks with the block inlays and large headstock and rosewood board.  

I found one on ebay...

...for $1,500,, 

....nope!

I did scout out Warmouth and some of the Fender replacement necks, they have the standard ones.  so that's a definite option.

Replacing that original one may be tricky.  I don't see any of the bound necks with the blocks so far.

You gonna paint the headstock the same color as the body?   (that's the way my old Jag was).

Not the greatest color....but it wasn't too bad.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I found one on ebay...

...for $1,500,, 

....nope!

If it has to say Fender then it has to, but Warmoth is as good if not better than Fender, or I would have not used them. The black bass is the only one I still own. Believe me if you can solder you can do this. I am no luthier just a dude who plays guitar. Play is open to interpretation. 

You can have Warmoth do anything you want and it wont be $1500.

https://warmoth.com/index.php/mustang-jaguar-strat-neck-builder

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I just did the neck builder with a maple neck, maple board, block inlays and binding. It was $450. It will be cheaper with no binding and standard dots. 

Sometimes you can luck out and find one that has a small flaw if you can deal with it. I think the Tele neck on the black Tele I got a blemished neck for $150. It had a small chip in the headstock. I was gonna chip it anyway bumping into something.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I found one on ebay...

...for $1,500,, 

....nope!

What's up with the neck - not repairable? 

Have you got a pic of the end with the serial number and type on? 

Dates are missing or at least not readable from places I expect.,  something to think about

here's a few picks... they don't show the state of the neck well,, I'll have to retake those.

the rose wood is split along a # of the frets, both down at the nut and all along the way,

oddly enough, the frets do not show a lot of wear, so it was not played a lot by the looks

but it was also not well cared for..

for now, picking away at it... 

I didn't know there was a customizable neck setup with Warmouth Chief.. good info there thanks man..

273012369_10217716682628337_813692082442

273537769_10217716654347630_676664150062

273549615_10217716654387631_982249169363

273528440_10217716654307629_855973035329

273548673_10217716654987646_691786415539

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

I'm currently shopping for a Jazzmaster or Jaguar and I have been clutching my chest Fred Sanford style at the prices. I fully expect to pay at least $4500 for a Jag or $6500 for a Jazzmaster.

It's beyond mid life crisis. It's "I might die tomorrow" crisis.

Restore it or part it out. People will pay stupid for the body and whatnot.

In 1987 I sold a 1962 Jaguar neck for $40 and was glad to get it.

I cry a lot.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hell yeah restore that. 

That's the plan Chief, too bad the neck is farked like it is, but... what the heck,...  The only ? is do I strip the body and get some "period correct" fender colors and try to refinish the body.

it's in decent shape considering the neck is totaled..

10 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I'm currently shopping for a Jazzmaster or Jaguar and I have been clutching my chest Fred Sanford style at the prices. I fully expect to pay at least $4500 for a Jag or $6500 for a Jazzmaster.

It's beyond mid life crisis. It's "I might die tomorrow" crisis.

Restore it or part it out. People will pay stupid for the body and whatnot.

In 1987 I sold a 1962 Jaguar neck for $40 and was glad to get it.

I cry a lot.

I hope you can find one,, this fell in my lap..  I may as well run with it for a bit.

7 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

You gonna paint the headstock the same color as the body?   (that's the way my old Jag was).

Not the greatest color....but it wasn't too bad.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

My Jag is Surf green and the neck and headstock are a clear buff wood. The fingerboard is a black. It doesn't look rosewood at all like my other guitars, It's a black. I wonder if it is Ebony or not? But with a white finger guard over the pickups and the shiny metal on it, It does look Great. 

I have my warped Jazz bass neck hanging on the wall as art, and if need be I can take it down, and crack a would be intruder over the head with it. The truss rod in it is stuck, and won’t move and the fretboard was and is like a roller coasters ride. The Warmoth neck sorted me out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Retired said:

My Jag is Surf green and the neck and headstock are a clear buff wood. The fingerboard is a black. It doesn't look rosewood at all like my other guitars, It's a black. I wonder if it is Ebony or not? But with a white finger guard over the pickups and the shiny metal on it, It does look Great. 

I love the surf blue....I think the color on mine was called "Fiesta Red".... was really more Persimmon... maybe a pinkish-orange.... at that time I'd never seen another one....but it just so happens we took on a lead guitar who had the exact same guitar the exact same color!  Since I was playing bass by that time, I don't have any photos of the two guitars together!   My brother did a drawing of the guitar for my dad back when he was a kid.

May be an image of guitar

In 1996 I bought a 1965 Jazzmaster that had been painted black. They had just sprayed over the original sunburst and I took the time to wet sand it down to the burst. Whatever clearcoat might have been there was gone, but it was better than the Krylon black. Someone had put some kind of Strat pickups under the Jazzmaster covers too. I put a set of Duncans in it. It ended up looking the part when I got done. Then a local resident, who was an extraordinary guitar player and a notorious drunk stopped by to chat about this and that. He saw the Jazzmaster and called the Sheriff's dept, claiming it was his. He claimed it was stolen from him. This ended up in a small claims court battle that lasted about a year and 4 court appearances. I'm skipping over the fine details and some of the more entertaining moments, but I won the case. This story could be several pages. Epilogue: there is no doubt in my mind he once owned the guitar, but gave it away or sold it while plastered.

I sold the guitar about 3 hours after the judge said 'case dismissed'. I wanted no part of it. Every time I opened the case, I would think about the BS I went through for a year, defending my name.

I sold it for $800, which was probably a fair price at the time, given it's finish condition and lack of original pickups.

• Like 1