Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s in Iced Tea Burst!

Guitarjon

I've been bitten by the Gibson bug lately. Got my Gibson Les Paul Custom recently, which is also awesome! So I purchased the guitar a week or two ago. I was able to pick it up over at the local Gibson HQ, so in the showroom. Nice folks over there! The one I got seemed to come from 2021 since the serial starts with 10. It's a beautiful guitar with a great top. The finish looks and feels great, very vintage-y in fact. The neck profile is nice and fast, very comfortable. The fret edges are rolled of very nicely too. The body wood they used is also great! Not too heavy (not that I mindheavy) but very resonant and open sounding, great sound acoustically! The frets seem to have been leveled very well also, so that's great because I like my action low-ish.

I was not a fan of the pickups though, I wasn't expecting that because usually I'm not picky about pickups at all. But I'm a rocker at heart and the Burstbucker 61s just were too bright and also too flubby and weak in the low end for high-gain rock and metal. So I swapped them out for a Duncan JB and 59. The result is much much better tbh. It still sounds like a Les Paul, just more versatile for me. Not saying the pickups are bad, it's all about personal preference.

The guitar did have a couple of tool marks and finish flaws but nothing major. Unfortunately the screw underneath the pickguard did leave a ding but since I'm a 'pick-guard' on type of guy I guess I'll just live with that. Overall I'm very happy with the guitar. It looks great, feels great and sounds great (with the SD pickups). So I'm a happy customer!!

Here's my review/demo video with some sound demos and talks about the details:

welcome to the forum Jon and congrats  sounds like a you found a winner!

For what it's worth, I have two LPs. one is a 95 standard that I bought new in August of 95, Stock pickups are 490R/498T which I've grown quite fond of.  These do just about everything that I need them to do. 

my 2nd lp is a 2002 that I bought used in 2004, came with burst buckers,  for some stuff, they were cool but for the harder/edgier stuff, they fell short. 

I don't really go for metal, just not my bag, but hard/classic rock, yea all day long.  

On the advice of a band mate with which we share a lot of common interests, I put a set of Duncans in just like you did. (59 and a JB)  That did the trick.  They've been in there for a # of years now.  Never regretted the move, not for a minute.   I sold the originals almost immediately too, and the buyer loved em.   That just about offset the cost of the Duncans.   it was a Win Win

I've considered a 57/57+ upgrade now and then, b/c I like those too.  But really no need to change out the Duncan's and I won't touch the '95 LP.  it aint broke, I'm not fixin it.

Great demo!!! I got myself the 50s Standard and love mine as well.

On mine, there is a piece of felt that was placed on that little nut on the pickguard to protect the finish. I was delighted to see that on there until I decided to polish the guitar. I found that little piece of felt messed with the nitro finish! I don't know if I rather of had the dent from the nut or this blemish!

I felt the same as you about the stock pickups. The 50s Standard comes with Burstbuckers 1 and 2. I swapped the out with Seymour Duncan's Whole Lotta Humbuckers. 

Thank for sharing your demo!

On 2/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, Big Bill said:

On mine, there is a piece of felt that was placed on that little nut on the pickguard to protect the finish. I was delighted to see that on there until I decided to polish the guitar. I found that little piece of felt messed with the nitro finish! I don't know if I rather of had the dent from the nut or this blemish!!

Piece of felt on my 60s Standard too. Oh well, I'm never removing the PG.

4 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Who did you purchase yours from? I bought mine from Wildwood, I love their selection and customer service.

Locally (Sweden).

Would have to order a Slash Les Paul if I'd want one, and... Well, I've tried the Epiphone version. But some people say the neck carve is the same as the Gibson Slash LPs, and some people say they differ. 

I've played the Epiphone 50s Standard, which is too chunky for me, and it's described on the Epi website as "medium C". I've watched reviewers say it's `59-esque. I've played the Epi 1959 - which was in-between my 60s STD and the Epi 50s STD and quite comfy, but Anderton's NAMM video said it was even chunkier than the 50s STD!

It's a lot of money to drop on a neck carve that may or may not be to my liking. I suppose I could order it and return it (hassle) if I don't like it, but I dunno... 

I watched Trogly's review of the Epi 50s STD, and he said he didn't like the neck carve and that it was more baseball bat than the current Gibson 50s STD (which I haven't played yet), so... I don't know. 

Edited by Pinch