Gibson Brands Forums

Besides ebay, reverb, and gbase.... what is there?

ksdaddy

I'm looking to buy a clay dot Jazzmaster (pre-CBS). I know I will pay dearly, and I think karma has caught up with me. I've flipped many guitars and made out really well. It's time for me to close my eyes and think of England. Bite the pillow and all that.

Stuff has gone up so much. My god.

Chatting with a guy last night about a vintage piece. He said, "You know, this value of this thing has tripled during this whole pandemic thing."

Huh? 

I know the prices have doubled on many vintage pieces.  The asking prices. Not sure if anything is actually selling. People see what the Japanese are asking, so they match them or go higher.

I will not get a bargain. Guaranteed.

15 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

I'm looking to buy a clay dot Jazzmaster (pre-CBS). I know I will pay dearly, and I think karma has caught up with me. I've flipped many guitars and made out really well. It's time for me to close my eyes and think of England. Bite the pillow and all that.

Stuff has gone up so much. My god.

Chatting with a guy last night about a vintage piece. He said, "You know, this value of this thing has tripled during this whole pandemic thing."

Huh? 

I know the prices have doubled on many vintage pieces.  The asking prices. Not sure if anything is actually selling. People see what the Japanese are asking, so they match them or go higher.

I will not get a bargain. Guaranteed.

I have no interest in vintage. But if you want it and can afford it good on ya. Jim Irsay may have something he’s willing to part with.

Yesterday I bought a brand new Squier "60s vibe" Jazzmaster in Daphne Blue (rosewood board and tortoise guard of course). $380 out the door with gig bag. The quest continues for a clay dot with no delusions of stealing one, but the urgency is slaked to some degree.

Or it will be, once I make the neck so it doesn't look like a longbow, cut the nut slots down so I'm not tempted to use it as a Dobro, and polish the frets with something other than 240 grit, which apparently they used in Indonesia. Other than an evening's worth of detailing, it's super.

Not a clay dot but not 9K either.

15 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Yesterday I bought a brand new Squier "60s vibe" Jazzmaster in Daphne Blue (rosewood board and tortoise guard of course). $380 out the door with gig bag. The quest continues for a clay dot with no delusions of stealing one, but the urgency is slaked to some degree.

Or it will be, once I make the neck so it doesn't look like a longbow, cut the nut slots down so I'm not tempted to use it as a Dobro, and polish the frets with something other than 240 grit, which apparently they used in Indonesia. Other than an evening's worth of detailing, it's super.

Not a clay dot but not 9K either.

Ya get what ya pay for.

Yet people keep saying stuff from outside the USA is just as good. No, No it isn't.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ya get what ya pay for.

Yet people keep saying stuff from outside the USA is just as good. No, No it isn't.

Agreed 100%. This one, like most Squiers I've had, can be brought up a few notches with the right tools and a loupe.